Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Problem: Mobile Phone Not Installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='495197' date='Nov 16 2007, 10:26 AM
Rob, Thank you the response to an issue that has been driving me mental. I will definitely have them take a look at the TCU and do as you suggest. Thanks again for your help.
No Problem
Old 11-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='494692' date='Nov 15 2007, 01:02 PM
Sometimes on the idrive screen it even shows the phone icon.
not sure what phone icon you mean (when the phone is connected you see the aerial and reception bars if supported but no phone icon) but it sounds like the TCU is the culprit as others here have alluded to.

The issue of non-approved phones is a non issue.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The "phone icon" usually shows up if you have a missed call...
Old 11-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

The question occurs on the faulty action of the TCU of Member DRANGED. All in favor say aye, all opposed will say no. The ayes have it. The faulty action of the TCU of Member Dranged is agreed to. I will present the consensus to the dealership and will update everyone as to the outcome. Thank you all very much for your help, it's nice to know I was on the right track.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rob@JMK BMW' post='495167' date='Nov 16 2007, 10:02 AM
Sounds like you have a problem with the TCU. If the car is at the dealership they are going to do what they call a MOXA Box repair. They will attempt to re-program the TCU if the TCU doesn't accept the programming then they will replace
the TCU and that should resolve that problem. It is not a phone problem, even though those phones are not on the approved list they both work with no issues.
I brought my car in at 8am this morning for the "Mobile Phone Not Installed" issue, among other problems. They tried to tell me again that this was a problem with my cell phone not being approved. I explained this phone was the same phone approved for by BMW for T-MOBILE and AT&T but that it had just been released for Verizon I explained that it had nothing to do with my phone and that it was the internal phone used for SOS or BMW Assist which is why the message comes up to call the 1800 number.

I got a call a few hours later from the SA regarding the problem. He again stated that the problem was with my phone and said he would like me to talk to a lead tech about the problem. I explained the problem to the tech and was told yet again it was my phone. I then told the tech that it was very likely a problem with the TCU and that it needed to be reprogrammed via MOXA Box repair, if the TCU doesn't accept the reprogramming we know that the TCU is the culprit and they need to replace the TCU. He went silent. I asked very politely if that seemed like the right course of action considering the problem has nothing to do with my cell but instead the car's internal phone? He said he understood what the problem was but that he couldn't just reprogram the TCU. He said BMW states that an unapproved phone can cause damage to the TCU hardware(yes he said hardware), so the problem will just keep happening due to the unapproved phone and that his hands were tied by BMW. I said you know and I know that the unapproved phone has nothing to do with this problem. I said, I don't want to be a dink but I have been in for the same issue three times and I just want to have the problem solved. I referenced this forum and people with similar problems and perhaps contacting BMW NA to see if they couldfind a way to get this fixed. He said he could probably get it fixed but that BMW makes it very difficult and that he has to jump through a lot of hoops to remedy issues such as these. I thanked him for his time and said I really appreciated him taking the time to discuss this problem with me. I was then put back on with the SA who assured me that they would have all of my problems fixed this time and not to worry they would take care of everything. I thanked him in a very similar manner, I was very polite and diplomatic despite being very frustrated. We'll see if they fix it or not tomorrow, I'm not holding my breath.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If they don't get you fixed up, ask them if they submitted a Puma case with BMW. (A Puma case may be one of the "hoops" the tech was referring to...)

I've never heard of an unapproved phone causing TCU damage. I've never seen any warnings from BMW about possible damage from unapproved phones, they only seem to warn that unapproved phones may not work well and are not supported...

Good luck!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Contributors

Thanks Rudy, you're the best.