Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Pocket PC Phone and BT Work-Around

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 08:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY2005 545i SMG/Sport Pkg., Silver Gray, Gray Leather w/ Anthracite, NAV, Premium Sound, Cold Weather Pkg., Active Cruise, SunShades, Sat Radio

I'm currently using a T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone (Siemens SX56) and want to upgrade to a new IPAQ HP-6315, primarily for the wireless network and BT capabilities. I'm a heavy Outlook user and find the Pocket Outlook functions essential in my job so I'm inclined to stick with a Pocket PC device.

However, I've read many posts about the IPAQ 6315 being essentially incompatible with BMW Bluetooth. At best, it's a glorified headset. My MY2005 545 is BT-ready and I want to begin using it.

Has anyone recently become aware of any updates or workarounds to enable IPAQ 6315 use with BMW BT??

One thought I had was to actually get a second phone, one tested to work with BMW BT, such as a Moto V600 or SE T610. I think this would require me to swap SIM cards between the SX56 and new phone if I want both to function as phones.

Any way to program the new phone SIM card with my current phone number? This way, I can leave the new phone in the car at all times, and use my Pocket PC Phone while traveling. Is this possible, or even practical?

Experiences and/or advice appreciated.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I have the iPaq H6315.

Allow me to give you the single best piece of advice about that unit.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>DO NOT GET ONE!!!!!</span>

I suggest you visit the HP support forums for the iPaq handheld series. In a few brief minutes you will see enough threads about how awful the 6315 is, that you'll be certain never to consider it again. That is.... if HP has not deleted all of the threads. HP had so many complaints about this unit, that they started to just delete all forum threads about it. Many of us had spent months speaking to each other looking for help, and all of our threads got deleted. HP is running a HUGE cover-up on that iPaq. It is possibly the most defective item that company has ever created, and they will not lift a finger to help anyone. I tried calling them about it, and they asked me for my serial number. I gave it to them, and they said: "I see here that you have manufacturer warranty until Feb. 2006. How may I assist you?" I said that I was having some Bluetooth problems.... and before I finished my sentence, the tech support snapped at me: "We cannot support you on that. You must call T-Mobile."

T-Mobile is quite aware of the problems, and actually started to pull the iPaq from many stores. However, the problems are manufacturer problems... not carrier problems... so there is nothing T-Mobile can do. HP has seriously got problems with these units.... but the decision has been to cover it up and avoid acknowledging the existance of the 6315.

In fact.... if you search the HP website for anything on the 6315, you won't find it. They show pages for 2 other 6300 series units... but nothing for the 6315.

The bluetooth on the 6315 is nearly 100% inoperable. It only works after a soft-reset. This is due to severely flawwed BT drivers from Widcomm.

Not only are the BT drivers bad.... but the unit was designed so that when in suspend mode, the BT turns off. This makes it impossible for the unit to be answered by a bluetooth device such as a headset.

The iPaq will not operate fully with BMW. It only works as a headset. You cannot download the phone book or control the unit from the car. If you want to make or answer a call, you have to use the iPaq.

There is still no update for the 6315, yet. Rumor has it that there will be one soon, which will fix the problem of the BT drivers crashing after the unit goes into suspend mode. However, it will not fix the problem with the BT signal turning off while the unit is not being used. This means that if an incoming call rings your phone, your BMW would not mute the radio until the 4th or 5th ring. By the time you could have an active BT connection to answer the call... the caller would be talking to your voice mail.

Don't get the iPaq. Trust me on this.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

So, in summary, the iPaq won't work with the E60...
Old 03-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW 316ti, 2004 BMW 530d, 2006 BMW 530xd, 2013 BMW 320d touring, 2014 BMW 520d touring, 2016 BMW X5, 2020 BMW 320da touring, 2020 BMW 540i
Model Year: 1974
Engine: Flat six

Do you know if the Qtek S100 or Qtek 9090 work with the BMW Bluetooth ??

I'm interested in getting one and really don't know if it's compatible ....
Old 03-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

There is a simple answer to this....

If the device uses Pocket PC or Blackberry operating system, then it will not work.

Only cell phones seem to work with BMW. The only exception thus far is the Palm Treo 650.