Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Phone will not pair due to airport x-ray machines?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this possible?

We went on a one week vacation and the car just sat. My cell phone went through security machines twice. After my trip the bluetooth feature was not working. the i-drive menu suggested that I pair the phone. Tried to re-pair the existing phone and it was unable to find the bmw device. I deleted the bmw device from the phone's bluetooth list and tried to pair from scratch. Still will not find the bmw device.

Has this happened to anybody after their flight?

Is it most likely a problem with the phone or the car?

T.I.A.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by Deano' post='737141' date='Dec 3 2008, 03:16 PM
Is this possible?

We went on a one week vacation and the car just sat. My cell phone went through security machines twice. After my trip the bluetooth feature was not working. the i-drive menu suggested that I pair the phone. Tried to re-pair the existing phone and it was unable to find the bmw device. I deleted the bmw device from the phone's bluetooth list and tried to pair from scratch. Still will not find the bmw device.

T.I.A.
Nope, my phone never had that problem after an x-ray through the airport. Have you tried resetting the phone?
Old 12-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't know what could've happened but I suggest you borrow a BT enabled phone from someone else to see if it pairs with the car -- that way, you'll be able to figure out if the problem is with the car or with your phone...
Old 12-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='737355' date='Dec 3 2008, 09:20 PM
I don't know what could've happened but I suggest you borrow a BT enabled phone from someone else to see if it pairs with the car -- that way, you'll be able to figure out if the problem is with the car or with your phone...
That makes perfect sense. I think I have an old one lying around.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Chances are it has an "airplane mode", which turns the radios off.

I'd put money on it being that you only turned the cellular radio back on, and left the Bluetooth radio off. Check the wireless manager, or some similar configuration knob... make sure that the Bluetooth is enabled on the phone.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Deano' post='737141' date='Dec 3 2008, 04:16 PM
Is this possible?

T.I.A.
Check with bluetooth headset (if you have one) first , this will eliminate the doubt about the phone first.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by ponnu' post='739057' date='Dec 5 2008, 08:42 PM
Check with bluetooth headset (if you have one) first , this will eliminate the doubt about the phone first.

Hrmmm. That made me think of another obvious possible issue.

If you have two devices powered-on and set to pair with the headset/handsfree profile, the first one paired to the phone blocks the other one.

So... if you have a headset that's already paired, the car cannot.