Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Owner information for iPhone in case it's lost

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Living in Germany as an expat, this is the perfect opportunity to own the car of my dreams. I bought a new BMW E560 Individual in April 2007 and I have been in love with my M5 ever since! Where else can you experience the acceleration, speed and fabulous performance of this wonderful German engineering, but on the German Autobahns (almost with immunity for high speed as long as you slow down when there are limits). Fastest so far has been 293kmph (183 mph) but my M5 has much more left...I will get it to the limit of 330kmph (205mph) or more yet! Problem is it makes me want to drive everywhere possible at any oppotunity and I am rackng up the kilometers!

Since I bought my iPhone in December, I have always been concerned about getting it back if I ever lost it. On my Treo 650, it had a start-up screen where I could put my contact details. If the phone was lost, when it woke up from standby, the start-up screen would show my contact details and my statement "Reward if found and returned to owner" (hopefully encouraging anyone finding my lost phone to return it).

It is even a bigger problem with iPhone if you have Passcode Lock activated. Someone finding your phone cannot get passed the wallpaper to even look in your contacts to find the owner. But who wants a stranger going through your information on your iPhone anyway.

iPhone does not have this capability/feature of an owener's screen. Looking at Apple iPhone Forums today, I found a great suggestion of embedding contact details in your iPhone wallpaper. A simple idea and easy to do.

I took one of the photos I use as wallpaper (great photo of an M5) and using Photoshop (you can use any other photo editor SW that allows you to add text) added my name, phone number, e-mail and my "reward" statement. The text needs to be in a big font so it is easy to read when in a wallapepr on your iPhone. I have actually put the details into a layer template in Photoshop, so it is easy to drop onto any photo I want to use as a wallpaper.

Synced my iPhone and set this new photo as my wallpaper. Now when my iPhone is woken up, my contact details are there. Let's hope I never loose my phone, but if that happens, at least I have some chance of getting it back!

Hopefully this might be useful for other iPhone users on this Forum.
Attached Thumbnails Owner information for iPhone in case it's lost-m5_owner_info_blurred.jpg  
Old 03-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Members

This is a good and bright idea... I will use something similar to this!

Thanks for sharing the info!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

it will be on the first flight to Bangkok to be sold at $500 lol they WILL unlock it and sell it lol...
Old 03-15-2008, 04:46 AM
Members

My Ride: Living in Germany as an expat, this is the perfect opportunity to own the car of my dreams. I bought a new BMW E560 Individual in April 2007 and I have been in love with my M5 ever since! Where else can you experience the acceleration, speed and fabulous performance of this wonderful German engineering, but on the German Autobahns (almost with immunity for high speed as long as you slow down when there are limits). Fastest so far has been 293kmph (183 mph) but my M5 has much more left...I will get it to the limit of 330kmph (205mph) or more yet! Problem is it makes me want to drive everywhere possible at any oppotunity and I am rackng up the kilometers!

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='542726' date='Mar 11 2008, 05:48 AM
it will be on the first flight to Bangkok to be sold at $500 lol they WILL unlock it and sell it lol...
Ah! not so, I left my phone in a restaurant before Christmas and it was returned!
Old 03-15-2008, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

Originally Posted by douggiedooman' post='545174' date='Mar 15 2008, 06:46 PM
Ah! not so, I left my phone in a restaurant before Christmas and it was returned!

oh well thats great actually, I have left phones at restaurants in San Francisco all the time...and yes I got them back......but where I live now is a little bit more complex than that....so I have began to think alike as well....!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by douggiedooman' post='541479' date='Mar 8 2008, 09:12 AM
I took one of the photos I use as wallpaper (great photo of an M5) and using Photoshop (you can use any other photo editor SW that allows you to add text) added my name, phone number, e-mail and my "reward" statement. The text needs to be in a big font so it is easy to read when in a wallapepr on your iPhone. I have actually put the details into a layer template in Photoshop, so it is easy to drop onto any photo I want to use as a wallpaper.

Synced my iPhone and set this new photo as my wallpaper. Now when my iPhone is woken up, my contact details are there. Let's hope I never loose my phone, but if that happens, at least I have some chance of getting it back!

Hopefully this might be useful for other iPhone users on this Forum.
I got an application on the app store that lets you create a wallpaper with your owner information using any picture in your iPhone photo library or camera.
It also displays a screen with contact numbers and email options.

The application's name is "Owner Information" -
You can get some more information about it here: www.phonefound.com