Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

New Cingular Phone

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

I've had a razer for the last 3 years and for the most part been very happy, my service is with Cingular which I'm also happy with. Anyway the phone needs replacement, it will no longer keep a charge even with a brand new battery. I am trying to convince myself that the Blackberry Pearl is the right phone for me, but I'm having a hard time deciding so I thought I'd come to you guys for advice.

I don't want anything large and my last 3 phones have been flips, I'd love to hear from you guys
Old 05-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Black BMW 525i

I was just at the Cingular store the other day. There really wasn't much to choose from. I was looking to upgrade from my Sony E. S710A. The phone rep said the Apple Iphone will be available the end of June for $500 with a $100 rebate. If you like features, wait on that....
Old 05-11-2007, 05:03 AM
Members

The answer to your question depends mostly on what you're looking to use it for. Will it be mainly used for personal or business? Entertainment or productivity? Cingular has a pretty good selection of phones with a mixture of features but there are always compromises based on what you want/need.

I would be happy to point you in the right direction if you want to provide more info...
Old 05-11-2007, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If you're leaning towards the Pearl, I say go for it. BlackBerries are great devices and they work very well with the E60...
Old 05-11-2007, 05:57 AM
Members

I have the platinum v3xx RAZR....Worlds better than the v3 and v3i in terms of software and overall performance. Works great with my 530i with NAV. I also have a U600 Samsung, which is a great mobile minus 3G HSDPA. Slider....Super slim and light weight. Awesome screen and pulls email automatically. I will be picking up the iPhone in June.

J
Old 05-11-2007, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jasonrhcastle' post='423270' date='May 11 2007, 09:57 AM
I have the platinum v3xx RAZR....Worlds better than the v3 and v3i in terms of software and overall performance. Works great with my 530i with NAV. I also have a U600 Samsung, which is a great mobile minus 3G HSDPA. Slider....Super slim and light weight. Awesome screen and pulls email automatically. I will be picking up the iPhone in June.

J
If email is an important feature to you, the BlackBerry's "push" technology beats "pulling" any day...
Old 05-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Originally Posted by sparky12' post='423253' date='May 11 2007, 09:03 AM
The answer to your question depends mostly on what you're looking to use it for. Will it be mainly used for personal or business? Entertainment or productivity? Cingular has a pretty good selection of phones with a mixture of features but there are always compromises based on what you want/need.

I would be happy to point you in the right direction if you want to provide more info...
Thanks Sparky,

I'm a small business owner and more and more of my customers are using email, so being able to access emails while on the road could be helpful; I spend two or three days a week out of office. My primary feature is a quality cell phone that will work well in my car, the razer has been fairly good although I do get some complaints about voice quality. I am trying to tell myself that having a smartphone would be great to have because my office could attach files i.e. contracts that I could view while on the road. I don't really care about the camara because I carry a very high quality ultra small one all the time.

Thanks in advace for your help.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jochet' post='423526' date='May 11 2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks Sparky,

I'm a small business owner and more and more of my customers are using email, so being able to access emails while on the road could be helpful; I spend two or three days a week out of office. My primary feature is a quality cell phone that will work well in my car, the razer has been fairly good although I do get some complaints about voice quality. I am trying to tell myself that having a smartphone would be great to have because my office could attach files i.e. contracts that I could view while on the road. I don't really care about the camara because I carry a very high quality ultra small one all the time.

Then for sure go with the BlackBerry!
Old 05-12-2007, 04:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jochet' post='423526' date='May 11 2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks Sparky,

I'm surprised to hear you say the Razr suffered from call quality issues as my experiences with most Motorola phones is they've been fantastic. Anyway, given your requirements, I would have to agree with most of the other posts and say the BlackBerry would be a great fit. One thing to keep in mind is that the BlackBerrys don't handle attachments quite as well a a Microsoft smartphone might. That's not to say it won't work but the reader plugins for Word, Excel and PDFs may not allow you to do more than give a high level read through of the doc. Also, the screen on the Pearl isn't that big so there will be A LOT of scrolling, depending on the doc of course. You may want to wait for the BlackBerry Curve (8300) which has a full keyboard and a larger screen, among a few other small improvements on the media side.

There are a few technical pieces to make sure you address before getting the BlackBerry, namely the mail protocol you use (POP/SMTP, IMAP, etc.). This will impact the way the BB pushes mail. PM me if you need any assistance in this area.

Good luck.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sparky12' post='423631' date='May 12 2007, 08:15 AM
I'm surprised to hear you say the Razr suffered from call quality issues as my experiences with most Motorola phones is they've been fantastic. Anyway, given your requirements, I would have to agree with most of the other posts and say the BlackBerry would be a great fit. One thing to keep in mind is that the BlackBerrys don't handle attachments quite as well a a Microsoft smartphone might. That's not to say it won't work but the reader plugins for Word, Excel and PDFs may not allow you to do more than give a high level read through of the doc. Also, the screen on the Pearl isn't that big so there will be A LOT of scrolling, depending on the doc of course. You may want to wait for the BlackBerry Curve (8300) which has a full keyboard and a larger screen, among a few other small improvements on the media side.

There are a few technical pieces to make sure you address before getting the BlackBerry, namely the mail protocol you use (POP/SMTP, IMAP, etc.). This will impact the way the BB pushes mail. PM me if you need any assistance in this area.

Good luck.

Thanks, I like the new Curve's features except one, size; I really like the small compact feel of the Pearl.

Quick Reply: New Cingular Phone