Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Motorola Q works great!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006 | 07:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by freed0m' post='292554' date='Jun 5 2006, 12:51 AM
I was able to get the Moto Q to pair with my E60 and things seems to work fine except the phone book didn't transfer over... what am i missing ?
I didn't have to do anything special - once the Q paired with the car (or maybe a minute or so later), all the contacts where available to scroll through on the IDrive Communications screen.

Maybe delete the connection and pair it up again? Don't know what else it could be ...
Old 06-05-2006 | 07:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by GeneArch' post='292394' date='Jun 4 2006, 02:59 PM
I don't want to poop on the Q.. I like the form factor and the feature set, but please don't refer to it in the same sentence as a Blackberry. The Q is a good phone and good PDA, but by no means a BB killer. I'm sure at some point in time MS will manage to get true push e-mail working, but their implementation of "wireless sync" is a mess.
Ok, for all those comparing the Blackberry and the Q. The current "Wireless Sync" that Verizon uses allows a connection between the phone and Verizon's servers, which are updated either by one's Exchange Server or a desktop Outlook, which in turn then updates the phone itself. If you have Exchange 2003 SP2, you don't need Verizon's Wireless Sync - Exchange sends a specially formatted SMS to the phone that tells it to "call" in, which it then does and syncs up everything. So technically it's not "true push", but functionally it's just as quick and up to date as a Blackberry.

In the very near future, MS will be releasing the AKU2 update that will provide true push capabilities (some phones have this update already). Basically, the phone will maintain an "https" always-on connection with the server that provides true realtime push emails.

For all practical purposes, Windows Mobile devices have just as fast sync updates as Blackberry's. And frankly, I like the power, UI, and abilities of WM quite a bit better than the Blackberry.
Old 06-05-2006 | 08:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

True... I have both devices, BB 8700c running BES and just acquired the Moto Q running Good Link. As for end users experiences both are very comparable in term timeliness of email deliveries. I like the Moto Q form factor much better though.

Originally Posted by Catul' post='292740' date='Jun 5 2006, 08:57 AM
Ok, for all those comparing the Blackberry and the Q. The current "Wireless Sync" that Verizon uses allows a connection between the phone and Verizon's servers, which are updated either by one's Exchange Server or a desktop Outlook, which in turn then updates the phone itself. If you have Exchange 2003 SP2, you don't need Verizon's Wireless Sync - Exchange sends a specially formatted SMS to the phone that tells it to "call" in, which it then does and syncs up everything. So technically it's not "true push", but functionally it's just as quick and up to date as a Blackberry.

In the very near future, MS will be releasing the AKU2 update that will provide true push capabilities (some phones have this update already). Basically, the phone will maintain an "https" always-on connection with the server that provides true realtime push emails.

For all practical purposes, Windows Mobile devices have just as fast sync updates as Blackberry's. And frankly, I like the power, UI, and abilities of WM quite a bit better than the Blackberry.
Old 06-05-2006 | 11:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 M6 Coupe Sapphire Black/Black Merino Loaded

Originally Posted by Catul' post='292740' date='Jun 5 2006, 08:57 AM
Does that "power" include such basic functions like copy/paste?

Just kidding.. I like the Q, but not the OS. I went on a "simplify" tangent a few years ago and that's why I switched to a Blackberry.. I just want something that works and has battery life measured in multiple days. I'm much less interested in whistles & bells than I was a few years ago.

The Q can only get better and that's good for everyone.
Old 06-06-2006 | 06:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by GeneArch' post='293125
Just kidding.. I like the Q, but not the OS. I went on a "simplify" tangent a few years ago and that's why I switched to a Blackberry.. I just want something that works and has battery life measured in multiple days. I'm much less interested in whistles & bells than I was a few years ago.

The Q can only get better and that's good for everyone.
The Blackberry started out as a pure email machine, and that is still what it does best. I do think the WM5 OS has caught up in terms of wireless email capabilities - especially with MSFP and/or Goodlink usage.

The Q is absolutely wonderful as a phone and that is often overlooked in most devices. Sure, the battery life could be better - in fact, that is the major shortcoming to me. I have no problem recharging every night, and there is an inexpensive extended battery available as well.

All in all, it's nice to have a choice of some great devices - depending on your intended use. And the competition only makes things better for everyone...
Old 06-06-2006 | 07:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I was able to get the Moto Q to pair with my E60 and things seems to work fine except the phone book didn't transfer over... what am i missing ?

Which CIP version do you have for iDrive?

When I had version 18.1 I could not get my T-Mobile SDA to work, but after I got CIP 20.xx it worked.
Old 06-06-2006 | 03:15 PM
Members

The Moto Q and my E 60 Work fine .. I have tried every Smart /PDA Phone I could with Verizon and this has been the only one to work....
Old 06-07-2006 | 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

This thread is great news.

I was at the Gartner Security Conference the past couple of days in DC - ran into a guy who had been doing security testing for the Q for about 4 months. He had his with him and he was just raving about it. He apparently sees lots of mobile devices run through his shop, so if he's using one - that's enough for me.

The phonebook transfer was the last cloud hanging overhead.

BTW - I can't wait to install the Slingbox Mobile client on it...

You guys know that you can watch your TV in realtime and access content from your DVR on the Q?

Video here:

Oh, almost forgot. This device is an A2DP device (one of the few) which means you can use stereo bluetooth headphones, and if BMW ever codes us A2DP support, it should be able to pass MP3s from the handset to the car.
Old 06-07-2006 | 02:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

Hi subterFUSE,

I think I figured out my problem... The reason why my Q Contacts transfer over to the E60 is because the names and # were synch from MS Exchange to GoodLink client and not the native Contacts application on the Q. Once I manually enter data into the native Contacts book, data were able to transfer to the E60 successfully.

Thanks for the follow-up

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='293339' date='Jun 6 2006, 08:26 AM
Which CIP version do you have for iDrive?
When I had version 18.1 I could not get my T-Mobile SDA to work, but after I got CIP 20.xx it worked.
Old 06-08-2006 | 09:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I just ordered my Q!!!

Quick Reply: Motorola Q works great!