Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

///M Theme for iPhone owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='855434' date='Apr 22 2009, 03:16 PM
I'm not asking you to do anything.

I've heard reports of iphones being bricked for whatever reason that not only DFU mode helped. Also DFU mode is 0 when it comes to hardware malfunction, nothing can save you then! And thus if one gets so unlucky at that moment one can probably piss 500-800$ away for a new phone, cuz warranty will not cover it. Just a thought.

Hey you seem to not want to read all the lines. You read or understand only what you want and reply accordingly. See DFU reply vs my hardware failure input. See software updates vs jailbrake "updates" etc...

I agree on the hardware portion.

Not sure what you meant by "See software updates vs jailbrake "updates" etc..."
Old 04-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO' post='855469' date='Apr 22 2009, 10:45 PM
I agree on the hardware portion.

Not sure what you meant by "See software updates vs jailbrake "updates" etc..."
Forget about it!

Here's some insight of what seems to be someone with some law background on the issue when Apple declared jailbraking illegal. It's a nice read and for me he/she took an unusual approach to the subject with some great insights on the matter:

1) Much as some would wish otherwise, Apple does not make the law. They cannot “legally brick your phone.” Read the discussions around that time — it boils down to this: if one of Apple’s updates bricks your phone, and you have modified your phone or firmware, they are under no obligation to honor any warranty or service claims. That’s it. Apple has no super-legal powers to come in and tamper with your phone under any other circumstances. (Of course, case law can change, and the first “remote kill” of an application will be good legal theatre.)
“You own the phone. Not the program” — you might wish to take a look at Krause v Titleserv, the only U.S. case on SLAs and EULAs which has bubbled up this high to date, in which the 2nd Appellate Court rather decisively ruled against such provisions in SLA or EULAs. Krause is one reason many observers think software makers have not purused EULAs, because they do not want to establish further precedents against them.
If Apple wants a consumers “word” that they have only leased the rights to use the software “as-is” under their conditions, they have to enumerate those terms prominently in a contract that can be viewed and agreed to by both parties before the purchase is made. If Apple wants to abrogate consumer rights established in Section 117 of the Copyright act and upheld in Krause, they had better explain why that established precedent does not apply; otherwise, those rights are assumed. To date, they have made no such attempt, other than to re-assert the claim.
2) Still, I can agree with the gist of your moral point, because I agree with you 100% that if you jailbreak, you should accept the consequences. (For the record, my phone is not jailbroken.) Just because you have the legal right to jailbreak does not mean Apple has any obligation to help you or support you. On the contrary, the contract is quite clear on that point — Apple provides software and support under certain conditions and for a certain period of time, and, if I venture outside of those conditions, I am on my own. Once I buy my car, I can replace my gas engine in my Taurus with an electric engine. However, if I did — or, heck, even if I simply modified the dashboard software — Ford would rightfully laugh in my face if I tried to claim warranty repairs. If I jailbreak my phone, and an Apple update subsequently bricks it — that’s not their problem. Caveat emptor applies to hackers, as well.
However, and this is the crucial point, even if Apple were to produce a legally binding, airtight “no hacking” contract that each iphone owner were to sign in front of witnesses before each purchase, and I were to hack my phone anyways, I would be guilty, at most, of BREACH OF CONTRACT. This would be a civil dispute between two parties. If I do decide to hack my iphone, Apple is fully within their rights to tell me to kiss off and refuse to honor their end of the contract. They cannot and should not be allowed to do anything other than that, unless they can show my individual act of hacking caused them material damages. Simply put, it would not be a “illegal,” as there has been no crime committed.
Apple understandably may not like it, and you may not like it, but that does not mean the law has changed. Software modification for personal use IS a right EULAs cannot take away (at least in the US and Finland), and Jailbreaking is NOT illegal.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='855480' date='Apr 22 2009, 03:52 PM
Forget about it!

Here's some insight of what seems to be someone with some law background on the issue when Apple declared jailbraking illegal. It's a nice read and for me he/she took an unusual approach to the subject with some great insights on the matter:
The point is valid.

Maybe I Should stop modding my car while I'm at it
Old 04-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 Audi S4

Damn, that looks sick! How do you jailbrake the iPhone?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stylezzza' post='855599' date='Apr 22 2009, 05:27 PM
Damn, that looks sick! How do you jailbrake the iPhone?
best way is to use Pwnage, but can always use quickpwn if you're on windows.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Late 2005 M5 in Silverstone Metallic II with Full Black Leather Interior. SMG, LOGIC7, Heated Front Seats, Rear Electric Sun Blind, Comms Package, Professional Nav, TV Function, Extended Voice Control, Adaptive Headlights

I need an iPhone!!
Old 04-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='854210' date='Apr 21 2009, 04:22 PM
Nice! Got it! Tkx Alex...!!!

Now... these icons are nice... any idea where to get them?

The icons are from Winterboard?s Leopard Theme.

Alex
Old 04-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO' post='855559' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:00 PM
The point is valid.

You got the point. Choose between Mod or Warranty ...
Old 04-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jon M5' post='855622' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:50 PM
I need an iPhone!!
Actually you will need two!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO' post='855559' date='Apr 23 2009, 12:00 AM
The point is valid.

The same principle applies. Software -> engine modding = loose of warranty.

Quick Reply: ///M Theme for iPhone owners