Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

///M Theme for iPhone owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009 | 03:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Nightfox.Technologies' post='854418' date='Apr 22 2009, 12:54 AM
Phone hacked for over a year and never a problem. I agree their is potential, but no more than what Apple gave us to work with.. A far from perfect phone. Other than that it's nice to do minor things like keeping your wallpaper while phone is unlocked, adding copy and paste functions, video recording, and MMS, etc... Things our phones shouldve let us do back in 1st gen

As for the engine sound, who cares turn the sound off. I personally ALWAYS keep my phone on vibrate
You missed the point! Of course there should have been more features available from the get go but i really like that Apple focused on the features that are really important and made sure it worked perfectly. Compared to other phones, like Nokia N95 or whatever, that has tons of features, and polyvalent abilities when you use the phone you realize you don't need all of them, at least on a regularly basis. Some of them you don't need at all. So why bother loading it with every possible app or hardware and then find out that it's sluggish or unresponsive!?

IMHO people that jailbrake their phone do it for 2 major reasons: No. 1 and the most important they want to use pirated software and hence avoid using the apple store, and no 2 gain access to some "locked" features like video recording.

While on the no. 1 reason i will prefer not to comment, with no. 2 i will say that for start the iphone never was intended as a camera phone. The camera on it is a crappy camera, and it's fine since this is a phone after all. At most you can use it to quickly snap some pictures with it, but the quality sucks especially in poor light conditions. On video recording, well my friend has a jailbroken iPhone and well i've seen what it can record. Crap! So IMHO it's a useless option really, jailbroken or oem available.

Copy & paste will soon arrive and MMS also along with other stuff in iphone 3.0 version. But well i guess lots of jailbrake fans will not need since they already get them via third party software, and i doubt it will be better than what Apple's got.

You also missed the point where jailbrake fans will miss al the important updates, even minor updates that fix or repair i dunno security issues in safari?! Or performance issues in Photo? They need to wait and get the jailbroken version for that update, and reinstall it.

But sure keeping your wallpaper is nice on an unlocked screen! That really justifies the hassle, especially after 3.0 is released.

Also removing or replacing icons with other ones, like notes icon with pages icon may be really cool for some, but i find it very tacky. My buddy with jailbroken iphone really shoed me his list of icons, and the fact that he can change the carrier (to a fake one) and i said OK! really without being impressed.

Bottom line considering the downsides of the jailbrake and the "upsides" except the pirated software i really found it's better to stay with Apple aka no hassle or headaches.
Old 04-21-2009 | 07:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Sports, Premium and dynamic packages

Quick reminder...
Apple is coming up with over 200 new features late June, just make sure you will be able to add them down the road; otherwise you will me missing out...keep that in mind.
Old 04-21-2009 | 07:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Sports, Premium and dynamic packages

Let me correct my note, just checked and it says over 100 new features!
Old 04-22-2009 | 12:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ValE60' post='854722' date='Apr 21 2009, 11:44 PM
Quick reminder...
Apple is coming up with over 200 new features late June, just make sure you will be able to add them down the road; otherwise you will me missing out...keep that in mind.
If you're referring to Firmware 3.0
Funny thing is, at least 75% of whats coming out on it has been available for Jailbroken iPhones for a long time.

I've had copy/paste, Multimedia Messaging, etc for awhile now.

Anyways, I look forward to getting the new iPhone coming out this summer. Will be worth it with the 3.2Megapixel camera, multi-core CPU, etc.
Old 04-22-2009 | 03:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO' post='854926' date='Apr 22 2009, 11:56 AM
If you're referring to Firmware 3.0
Funny thing is, at least 75% of whats coming out on it has been available for Jailbroken iPhones for a long time.

I've had copy/paste, Multimedia Messaging, etc for awhile now.

Anyways, I look forward to getting the new iPhone coming out this summer. Will be worth it with the 3.2Megapixel camera, multi-core CPU, etc.
Yes but as i said you'd be one step back. Wanting to be one step ahead you'd always be one step back (as the new releases/firmwares updates have to be cracked first so you jailbroken fan boys can use it, which can take from 1 month to 2-3 months for some apps). Ironic isn't it? Still think you're ahead? Also they guys that bought the phone legit, will for sure loose their warranty.

Just a question for you though, out of curiosity: Let me guess you're a PC/Windows user. Correct?
Old 04-22-2009 | 10:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='854978' date='Apr 22 2009, 07:08 AM
Yes but as i said you'd be one step back. Wanting to be one step ahead you'd always be one step back (as the new releases/firmwares updates have to be cracked first so you jailbroken fan boys can use it, which can take from 1 month to 2-3 months for some apps). Ironic isn't it? Still think you're ahead? Also they guys that bought the phone legit, will for sure loose their warranty.

Just a question for you though, out of curiosity: Let me guess you're a PC/Windows user. Correct?
Pwnage, with it, I can go 100% back to stock and not have to worry about warranty issues
It leaves no trace.

Most firmware updates are already jailbroken before hand. Only thign we have to wait for is the unlock (and I have AT&T so that's of no use to me)
Even 3.0 is already jailbroken.

Actually, I have 3 OS's

Windows Vista (everyday usage) - Customized with vLite
Windows 7 (build 7077) - Just for fun
OSX 10.5.6 (Hackint0sh) - for Apple only stuff.

Let me guess, you're a ...sudo intellectual mac user that's in it to be "different" and not mainstream?
Attached Thumbnails ///M Theme for iPhone owners-apple.jpg  
Old 04-22-2009 | 10:42 AM
Senior Members

Pwnage, with it, I can go 100% back to stock and not have to worry about warranty issues
It leaves no trace.

Most firmware updates are already jailbroken before hand. Only thign we have to wait for is the unlock (and I have AT&T so that\'s of no use to me)
Even 3.0 is already jailbroken.

Actually, I have 3 OS\'s

Windows Vista (everyday usage) - Customized with vLite
Windows 7 (build 7077) - Just for fun
OSX 10.5.6 (Hackint0sh) - for Apple only stuff.

Let me guess, you\'re a ...sudo intellectual mac user that\'s in it to be \"different\" and not mainstream?
Figures.... hackingtosh anyway...

I too had jailbroken my phone 2 times, consequtively on 2.1 software with quickpwn and i did it the second time cuz after the first JB it kept crashing quite often. I did it second time just to make sure i didn\'t do smth wrong, but the result was the same. It was particulary unstable in Safari and Mail, but more in Safari.

For sure i rest it and all is OEM and there is no trace since i\'m all legit now but that was not the point. For example if something horrifying happens and the phone gets bricked (due to a severe software malfunction that doesn\'t even respond to rest), or hardware fails, case in which you aren\'t able to rollback to OEM, than you\'re pretty much screwed if the guys from Apple find out you\'ve been messing around, and frankly this is the first thing they search for and i don\'t blame them.

And no, i\'m not a big mac user! I\'ve been working with Macs only for half a year, but for me it was enough to know and recognize that this software and hardware suits me perfect. Coming from IT school, i started like most of the people with Windows, and in fact DOS in the 90s, and have been using and unfortunately still use Windows Vista (the worst) at home due to my own ignorance (bought a year ago a super uber PC-biggest financial mistake of my life). So i experienced almost anything big from Windows, from 95, 98, Millenium, 2000, XP and Vista in both 64 bit variants and 32 bit. Likewise being tired of the MS poor quality and countless headaches it caused me, i tried seriously like 3 years ago various linux distros, which i like the most Ubuntu and SuSE. The company that i work for uses an Ubuntu 8.10 Linux server that i administer (not very high level). So i got also quite some taste of Linux.

Recently i ate Mac and i never looked back. I found the unix like (linux) power but in a much more user friendly environment, and i found the Mac being the easiest to use and administer OS out there. Now i\'m taking OSX Server tutorials and i\'m amazed how easy is to do some basic set-up in a server like DNS, and Open Directory and other stuff, that in linux needed countless command lines to memorize so to be able to do the same thing.

So i\'m not into Mac so to feel different. That would be just caprice or whim. I was able to logically and technically analyze the biggest offer in OSes and i found which is the best choice for me. And for me Apple is so much more than a company. The fact that they match their hardware to the software and vice-versa is just as important. Currently no other major company does that. So...i think i answered your question.

PS: I just asked because i feel that all the modding, hacking, cracking needs or urges are more of a Windows sin or disease. And i do believe Microsoft did social engineering with their products especially with the Windows OS. My friend with jailbraked iphone 3g is also a dedicated Windows user.

PSS: Thanks for the pic! That's very cool I also attached a photo taken just today at the end of the work! You can find lots more personal goodies here
Attached Thumbnails ///M Theme for iPhone owners-epic.jpg  
Old 04-22-2009 | 10:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='855398' date='Apr 22 2009, 02:42 PM
Figures.... hackingtosh anyway...

I too had jailbroken my phone 2 times, consequtively on 2.1 software with quickpwn and i did it the second time cuz after the first JB it kept crashing quite often. I did it second time just to make sure i didn't do smth wrong, but the result was the same. It was particulary unstable in Safari and Mail, but more in Safari.

For sure i rest it and all is OEM and there is no trace since i'm all legit now but that was not the point. For example if something horrifying happens and the phone gets bricked (due to a severe software malfunction that doesn't even respond to rest), or hardware fails, case in which you aren't able to rollback to OEM, than you're pretty much screwed if the guys from Apple find out you've been messing around, and frankly this is the first thing they search for and i don't blame them.
That's why they have DFU mode =)

I've been rocksolid since I purchased the phone.
I love my custom apps. Love my themes.

I can't go back to stock at all. It's like asking me to go from a fully loaded 7series customized, to a basic 3. It's nice, but COME ON! haha
Old 04-22-2009 | 11:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO' post='855405' date='Apr 22 2009, 09:46 PM
That's why they have DFU mode =)

I've been rocksolid since I purchased the phone.
I love my custom apps. Love my themes.

I can't go back to stock at all. It's like asking me to go from a fully loaded 7series customized, to a basic 3. It's nice, but COME ON! haha
I'm not asking you to do anything.

I've heard reports of iphones being bricked for whatever reason that not only DFU mode helped. Also DFU mode is 0 when it comes to hardware malfunction, nothing can save you then! And thus if one gets so unlucky at that moment one can probably piss 500-800$ away for a new phone, cuz warranty will not cover it. Just a thought.

Hey you seem to not want to read all the lines. You read or understand only what you want and reply accordingly. See DFU reply vs my hardware failure input. See software updates vs jailbrake "updates" etc...
Old 04-22-2009 | 11:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Cold Weather Package Navigation and Logic7 Package Sport Suspension Package

Originally Posted by mikeg3tsguap' post='854256' date='Apr 21 2009, 03:47 PM
nice for some reason when i try to jail break my fone it fails! =/
you gotta make sure your using the right program for the right verison of your iPhone.

Quick Reply: ///M Theme for iPhone owners