Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Losing Bluetooth Link

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Moto Razr V3m that links fine with my 550i. The problem is that once a week, I lose the link between the phone and the car. It happens without warning, sometimes in the middle of a conversation. When it happens, I can't re-establish the link without turning off the car and letting it sit for awhile. When I turn it back on, the link magically appears again. The problem appears to be with the car since the phone still thinks it is linked and works with other Bluetooth devices (i.e. headset). One one occassion, the Bluetooth setting on the car seemed to be frozen. I couldn't un-check the Bluetooth link in the settings window.

Anyone else experience anything like this?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='388533' date='Feb 7 2007, 07:09 PM
I have a Moto Razr V3m that links fine with my 550i. The problem is that once a week, I lose the link between the phone and the car. It happens without warning, sometimes in the middle of a conversation. When it happens, I can't re-establish the link without turning off the car and letting it sit for awhile. When I turn it back on, the link magically appears again. The problem appears to be with the car since the phone still thinks it is linked and works with other Bluetooth devices (i.e. headset). One one occassion, the Bluetooth setting on the car seemed to be frozen. I couldn't un-check the Bluetooth link in the settings window.

Anyone else experience anything like this?
I?ve seen similar things happen with my S710a (which I no longer use although it?s a great mobile).

Delete the pairing and repair. See if the problem continues to occur.

Try another mobile, see if it happens with the other mobile.

That will narrow down the cause of the problem.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='388555' date='Feb 7 2007, 08:07 PM
I?ve seen similar things happen with my S710a (which I no longer use although it?s a great mobile).

Delete the pairing and repair. See if the problem continues to occur.

Try another mobile, see if it happens with the other mobile.

That will narrow down the cause of the problem.
Each time I deleted the pairing and tried to re-pair but couldn't until the car was turned off and sat for awhile. When I then turn it on, the re-pairing works. I have a Treo 750 and will try pairing with that when the Razr doesn't work. However I'm pretty certain it is the car because the Razr works with a Bluetooth headset when the car doesn't recognize it.

I'll just live with it until my first service since everything else works just fine!
Old 02-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='388622' date='Feb 7 2007, 10:11 PM
However I'm pretty certain it is the car because the Razr works with a Bluetooth headset when the car doesn't recognize it.
I?m not sure I see how this proves it?s the car.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='388624' date='Feb 7 2007, 10:21 PM
I?m not sure I see how this proves it?s the car.
Thanks for the responses!

Each time that the car loses pairing with the phone, the phone recognizes and pairs normally with my Bluetooth headset. On one occassion, the car's Bluetooth link seemed "frozen" in that I couldn't un-check the Bluetooth setting and the car wouldn't let me delete the phone. Delteting and re-installing the phone does not work. On each occassion, the only way to re-establish the link was to turn the car off for awhile and re-start it. That allowed the link to occur without doing anything to the phone.

That's what has led me to the conclusion (possibly erroneous) that the problem is the car and not the phone. I may be wrong and will have BMW Service check the system when I bring the car in for maintenance. The problem, however, is sporadic and seems to go away when the car is turned off and re-started. I doubt that I will be lucky enough to have the problem occur while I'm driving to the dealership.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:00 AM
Senior Members

The pairing with the headset does not matter. The mobile is using different profiles to bond with the car. Best way to prove it is the car is to try another mobile.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='388762' date='Feb 8 2007, 09:00 AM
The pairing with the headset does not matter. The mobile is using different profiles to bond with the car. Best way to prove it is the car is to try another mobile.
Point well taken. I will link my Treo 750 with the car and see if the same thing happens after a week or so. I won't have my entire address book but I will give it a try.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='388766' date='Feb 8 2007, 09:13 AM
Point well taken. I will link my Treo 750 with the car and see if the same thing happens after a week or so. I won't have my entire address book but I will give it a try.

Thanks for the feedback.
Uh, don?t do that. The 750 is not at all compatible.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='388821' date='Feb 8 2007, 11:54 AM
Uh, don?t do that. The 750 is not at all compatible.
My bad! I have the Verizon 700w. I was reading about the 750 just before I answered the thread. Sorry about that.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

What software version is the V3M running? Latest version is NEWC_01.05.0A. It's worth a looky-see, read somewhere about older software version acting up.

Quick Reply: Losing Bluetooth Link