Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

iPhone Charger/ Mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually like the way the OEM snap in adapter looks. Does anyone know though whether this will also allow your 3g iphone to be connected to the OEM Ipod adapter at the same time for access to your music via i-drive controls? Or, does it just end up only allowing the phone usage but no music control?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M5

The snap in adapter provides charging function only and won't fit a 3G very well (you can force it in but it's not a good fit). I'm not sure if the snap-in adapter will charge a 3G... I doubt it since it was designed for the first gen iPhone.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by VirtualRain' post='682459' date='Oct 1 2008, 04:10 PM
The snap in adapter provides charging function only and won't fit a 3G very well (you can force it in but it's not a good fit). I'm not sure if the snap-in adapter will charge a 3G... I doubt it since it was designed for the first gen iPhone.
hmmm.. why won't it charge if its designed for the first gen iphone? don't all iphones charge the same way?

anyways, my bmw dealer told me they have adaptors for both 1st gen iphone and the 3G iphone. not sure if its true or not but when i called to ask I kept emphasizing that the 3G is slightly different size to the 1st gen and if they have the 3G adaptor and he assured me that they have 2 different snap in adaptors, 1 for 1st gen and 1 for 3G...
Old 10-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M5

Originally Posted by ribenaberrie' post='683114' date='Oct 1 2008, 05:50 PM
hmmm.. why won't it charge if its designed for the first gen iphone? don't all iphones charge the same way?

anyways, my bmw dealer told me they have adaptors for both 1st gen iphone and the 3G iphone. not sure if its true or not but when i called to ask I kept emphasizing that the 3G is slightly different size to the 1st gen and if they have the 3G adaptor and he assured me that they have 2 different snap in adaptors, 1 for 1st gen and 1 for 3G...
Get one and report back!

The 3G uses a different charging scheme from the first iphone and all ipods... most of the accesories for previous products won't work with the 3G phone.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525i Titanium Silver

Originally Posted by CycleCo' post='678375' date='Sep 25 2008, 04:10 PM
I have an iPhone 3G and I am trying to find a device that will allow me to charge it and have it mounted at the same time. I frequently use the ipod function as well as the navigation and flycast for internet radio, so easy access to it is important. I am looking at a few products that plug into the cigarette lighter then have an extender that holds the phone in place. Has anyone use these specific models that can comment on their functionality, or have recommendations for a better product?

Kensington Car Charger Deluxe for iPhone and iPod (Black)
http://shortlinks.net/hul459

8-in-1 Car Kit for Apple iPhone (1G & 3G) & iPod Nano Video Touch Shuffle Classic with LED Display + HandsFree + FM Transmitter + Charger + Remote Control
http://shortlinks.net/ztf779

I am reluctant to purchase the latter because of the FM transmitter; I would prefer to use the aux cable.
After buying about three different CigLighter-chargers with flexible necks or twisting elbows, I gave up because it rattle to much on turns and speed bumps. If you want to have access to your iphone (maps, email etc.) and are not really concerned about idrive integration... I would recommend Griffin power jolt se (iphone 3g) charger with spiral cord (Connected to the 12v under the passenger side. There is a cup holder that is perfect fitting for the iphone and charger, so every time you put it in you are docking it. Get a 6' 1/8 male to male cable and run it to the Aux in the back...or get an extra Aux in the glove compartment (neater).

As I said, these is an easy any way and inexpensive way to dock your iphone while having good quality sound if you are not looking for idrive integration.

I have been using this set up for about two weeks and is not intrusive or cheap looking... I have the Griffin Iphone cup holder and all the wire neatly tucked in.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Members

My Ride: Living in Germany as an expat, this is the perfect opportunity to own the car of my dreams. I bought a new BMW E560 Individual in April 2007 and I have been in love with my M5 ever since! Where else can you experience the acceleration, speed and fabulous performance of this wonderful German engineering, but on the German Autobahns (almost with immunity for high speed as long as you slow down when there are limits). Fastest so far has been 293kmph (183 mph) but my M5 has much more left...I will get it to the limit of 330kmph (205mph) or more yet! Problem is it makes me want to drive everywhere possible at any oppotunity and I am rackng up the kilometers!

Have a look at a Brodit mount for iPhone 3G from Proclip in USA. Here is the link: http://www.proclipusa.com/Default.asp

The Brodit system comes as two pieces. A bracket that attaches to the dash. There are multiple bracket variations for particular vehicles and models and different places for mounting on the dash. Then you buy the appropriate mount for your cellphone (or iPod or Navigation or whatever you need), in this case iPhone 3G. In my BMW M5, I have a bracket on LH side of the steering wheel with a passive tilt swivel mount for my iPhone. It is convenient, easy to see and use and looks great. The bracket holds my iPhone firmly, yet is very easy to get my 3G in and out. Also, where I have it mounted, it makes it difficult to forget your iPhone when exiting the car. The new mount for 3G is also coated in a sort of velvet finish which looks really good and does not show any dust or marks and ensures the iPhone case is not scratched.

Brodit also make a mount for iPhones 3G with inbuilt charger, but I did not choose that one. The various type of mounts are shown on their website.

I am very particular about my M5, both inside and out. I replaced the previous Brodit Treo mount with 3G mount, only had to change the mount, used same bracket. This only took a few minutes to make the switch. They are not a cheap solution, but in my opinion, well worth it. The Brodit solution was the best, most professional cellphone mount I could find (and believe me I really researched this)!

I would thoroughly recommend this mount for iPhone 3G, it's great!

Here are some photos of the Brodit mount in my BMW. I glued the BMW pin and the plastic covers over the screws (they do not come with these extras). It just makes the bracket look better when the phone in not in the bracket! Hope this is helpful.

iPhone Charger/ Mount-brodit_bracket_1.jpgiPhone Charger/ Mount-brodit_bracket_2.jpg[a
ttachment=79758:Brodit_Bracket_3.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails iPhone Charger/ Mount-brodit_bracket_3.jpg