Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Iphone and BMW software

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525iSE 2004 AUTO 18'' star 124 alloys bluetooth with iphone cradle orient Blue Gray leather multi CD

Hi Can anyone help?

I have iphone with version 1.1.4 and has just been to my main dealer and had the car software updated to the latest version (V30 i think) and now phone will not pair with or without WIFI on, eventually it will pair and work fine, then when i go back to the car next time the phone and car will not pair, i have ot unpair and then re-pair sometimes it works and other times will pair and soon as i make a call it drops out does anyone have an ideas

cheers
Old 04-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by hatton955' post='562023' date='Apr 15 2008, 02:56 PM
Hi Can anyone help?

I have iphone with version 1.1.4 and has just been to my main dealer and had the car software updated to the latest version (V30 i think) and now phone will not pair with or without WIFI on, eventually it will pair and work fine, then when i go back to the car next time the phone and car will not pair, i have ot unpair and then re-pair sometimes it works and other times will pair and soon as i make a call it drops out does anyone have an ideas

cheers
Sounds like a bug in the latest software. I assume you still have the phone set as discoverable, which as much as I can tell in my new iPhone (v 1.1.4) is done by turning on Bluetooth! My phone works well with my October 2007 build car but I have no idea which software version I am running. Sorry, not much help I suppose.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 525iSE 2004 AUTO 18'' star 124 alloys bluetooth with iphone cradle orient Blue Gray leather multi CD

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='562026' date='Apr 15 2008, 08:01 PM
Sounds like a bug in the latest software. I assume you still have the phone set as discoverable, which as much as I can tell in my new iPhone (v 1.1.4) is done by turning on Bluetooth! My phone works well with my October 2007 build car but I have no idea which software version I am running. Sorry, not much help I suppose.

thank you for the reply, my car is Sept 04 and worked better before upgrade, although dropped out in some calls but always paired but sometimes would just not connect call. I do get caller id now and when it does connect its much better, but i suppose back to the dealer or just keep trying. And yes its on discoverable.

thanks again
Old 04-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 535d M Sport

Originally Posted by hatton955' post='562033' date='Apr 15 2008, 09:11 PM
thank you for the reply, my car is Sept 04 and worked better before upgrade, although dropped out in some calls but always paired but sometimes would just not connect call. I do get caller id now and when it does connect its much better, but i suppose back to the dealer or just keep trying. And yes its on discoverable.

thanks again
I have a October 2004 535d M Sport and an iPhone on 1.1.4 - mine pairs ok when the car starts, and I can scroll through the address book via iDrive etc no problem. If I make or receive a call though as soon as I answer or dial then it fails to send the audio/mic through the car and after a short while times-out and tells me to re-initialise my phone.

Not sure which version of the software I have but sounds like the newest one isn't worth paying to upgrade to from what you've said here.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by _Tim_' post='562107' date='Apr 15 2008, 10:08 PM
I have a October 2004 535d M Sport and an iPhone on 1.1.4 - mine pairs ok when the car starts, and I can scroll through the address book via iDrive etc no problem. If I make or receive a call though as soon as I answer or dial then it fails to send the audio/mic through the car and after a short while times-out and tells me to re-initialise my phone.

Not sure which version of the software I have but sounds like the newest one isn't worth paying to upgrade to from what you've said here.
Hi Tim

Yes im would agree, howver i had to update the software for A/C which was not working correctly so i had little choice. My problem is Exactly the same as yours i am going back to the dealer today, i will of course post an update.

Tim, what do you do about the connection? Do you use an earpice??
Cheers
Ian
Old 04-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hatton955' post='562313' date='Apr 16 2008, 06:47 AM
Hi Tim

Yes im would agree, howver i had to update the software for A/C which was not working correctly so i had little choice. My problem is Exactly the same as yours i am going back to the dealer today, i will of course post an update.

Tim, what do you do about the connection? Do you use an earpice??
Cheers
Ian
went to dealer today and they had another car with exactly the same problem, it is being referrred to BMW tech and i am awaiting a call tomorrow............lets see!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 05:30 AM
Members

I suggest you study this thread very carefully. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?m...31&#6352731 Especially that posted by Gettoff.

It seems that the latest software 30 or whatever is not enough for an older car without the latest TCU. There is a patch that has to be applied in addition to the Progman update, else it will not work. I found this out from chatting to the tech detailed in the thread. I do not think there is an issue with 1.1.4 software, just that Bmw had done the tests on 1.1.2 hence that is the BS you may get from your dealer if yours does not work. Good luck
Old 04-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Robbage' post='562999' date='Apr 17 2008, 01:30 PM
I suggest you study this thread very carefully. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?m...31&#6352731 Especially that posted by Gettoff.

It seems that the latest software 30 or whatever is not enough for an older car without the latest TCU. There is a patch that has to be applied in addition to the Progman update, else it will not work. I found this out from chatting to the tech detailed in the thread. I do not think there is an issue with 1.1.4 software, just that Bmw had done the tests on 1.1.2 hence that is the BS you may get from your dealer if yours does not work. Good luck
thank you for the info. I had an hour long conversation with my dealer who to be fair were very helpful, it seems that the official BMW (G position is that PRIOR to 09/07 build they will not accept any liability for the software issues with Iphone/Bluetooth, as i mentioned there are some older models that work fine with this combination and they had no answer. The dealer did say that they would do some more digging as they have 5 other cars of varying ages with the same problem!!!!! The dearler also thinks that in a short while BMW will address the problem, but until then i am stuffed!!!! The dealer has however offered a full refund.

In the meantime if i cannnot resolve the issue im going to buy a Sony Ericsson 800i second hand (as the dealer says it works fine on all cars!!!) and a snap in connector and tranfer sim card, not ideal but at least i wont have to suffer an ear piece.

So be warned if you have an early E60 you will have problems with this combination for the soreseeable future

Cheers
Old 04-20-2008, 11:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by hatton955' post='563572' date='Apr 18 2008, 07:50 AM
thank you for the info. I had an hour long conversation with my dealer who to be fair were very helpful, it seems that the official BMW (G position is that PRIOR to 09/07 build they will not accept any liability for the software issues with Iphone/Bluetooth, as i mentioned there are some older models that work fine with this combination and they had no answer. The dealer did say that they would do some more digging as they have 5 other cars of varying ages with the same problem!!!!! The dearler also thinks that in a short while BMW will address the problem, but until then i am stuffed!!!! The dealer has however offered a full refund.

In the meantime if i cannnot resolve the issue im going to buy a Sony Ericsson 800i second hand (as the dealer says it works fine on all cars!!!) and a snap in connector and tranfer sim card, not ideal but at least i wont have to suffer an ear piece.

So be warned if you have an early E60 you will have problems with this combination for the foreseeable future

Cheers
IMPORTANT UPDATE

I am making progress with this problem. What i do is to pair both car and phone each time i enter (ok if you're in and out its not practical) the car and it works without any problems at all, cailer ID and all idrive functions work and reception is fine. Once i've finished my journey i unpair. This take about 20 seconds each time and is no problem certainly for me. I hope that in time either BMW or Apple will resolve this problem but as a short term fix its better than a phone change!!
Old 04-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 2005 535d Sport & Audi Q7 S-Line Vis Pack, Media Pack, Heated fronts and Rears, HUD, Servo Steering,

Hi Hatton,

I have this problem with my 535D MY2005 and my iphone 1.1.4

I need my software updated to the latest version but I guess I'm better off waiting ;-)

Si

Quick Reply: Iphone and BMW software