Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

iPhone and 5er - inside scoop

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='441392' date='Jun 29 2007, 12:20 PM
I guess I have mixed feelings about the cradle since I see the greatest advantage of Bluetooth in this use case as being you leave the mobile wherever it is.

I had a cradle and almost never used it.

I also doubt we'll see a cradle for the iPhone since it is so wide - also not sure if there is an aerial interface on the back.
Obviously you can choose to use the cradle or not -- if I had a cradle for my phone, I wouldn't automatically use it every time I got in the car but when I needed it, it would be there.

As far as iPhone antenna connections, on the Nokia 6230 (I think) cradle, there is an inductive interface between the phone's internal antenna and the cradle's antenna interface. In other words, the phone itself doesn't have a physical antenna connection but it still uses the shark fin to boost signal performance...
Old 06-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='441416' date='Jun 29 2007, 01:21 PM
As far as iPhone antenna connections, on the Nokia 6230 (I think) cradle, there is an inductive interface between the phone's internal antenna and the cradle's antenna interface. In other words, the phone itself doesn't have a physical antenna connection but it still uses the shark fin to boost signal performance...
Didn't know that. I always thought it was only physical.

Induction was a great discovery.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Cradle debate....

I have a cradle for my razr and love it. It charges the phones many times faster than the AC plug for home, and the signal boost allows calls where otherwise there would be no signal at all.

Here's my thought: The USB ipod hook up in the glovebox should charge the iphone when connected. Mission one of the cradle accomplished. But as for the signal boost, perhaps the wiring to the shark fin antenna can be extended to the glovebox and somehow incorporated into the ipod connector loom? I know nothing of how the antenna works (other than it does indeed), but I'm hard pressed to imagine that there is something special about the power jack (the only point of contact while the phone is in the cradle) that it sends cell signals as well as sending power to the battery. In other words, I suspect that its merely the contact with the antenna wiring that boosts the signal. If that's the case, perhaps that wiring can be moved to the glovebox (aftermarket?) and similarly boost the iphone's reception?

Is anyone tech savy enough to correct or confirm my theory here...?

4 hours, 36 min. to iphone.
DRP
Old 06-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='441417' date='Jun 29 2007, 01:22 PM
Didn't know that. I always thought it was only physical.

Induction was a great discovery.
Yup. I can't say how well it actually works but the theory behind it is pretty cool and opens up the potential for an iPhone cradle, as long as it physically fits inside the console...
Old 06-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='441412' date='Jun 29 2007, 01:15 PM
HOLD ON A MINUTE!!

The .pdf BMW press release there says iphone (as an ipod) is compatible with 3 and 5 series with USB ipod kits and production dates of 3/07 or newer! My car was produced 8/06 and my USB 2nd generation ipod kit was installed 11/06??

I am not aware of any differences in the LCI's ipod kit. Are there any??

DRP
The LCI's ipod kit is very very different. We don't know yet about the older iPod interface.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Yes. Now that you mention it, I took an LCI test drive earlier this month and the idrive audio submenu indicated "playlist 1" instead of "CD1" which mine does. Now the question is, do I need an upgrade. Is it even possible? My car was the first month produced with RTTI and it has V.25 software.

If I score an iphone later today, I will post the results of my experimentation.

DRP
Old 06-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

Okay, I got the answer to the compatibility question I posed:

Your 5er must be equipped with option SA6FL USB/iPod interface FROM THE FACTORY in order to use an iphone as an ipod.

This option has a USB and power jack in the center console - not the glovebox. Into the USB and power jacks plug a cable that has an ipod connector at the other end.

No word on whether BMW will produce a retrofit kit that would allow installation of these jacks into the console of a pre-LCI 5er. I would think they will, if its technically possible, since I'm gathering few salesman are aware that this appears to be a factory only option. Thus, a number of people may buy a new 5 in the next few months, subsequently have an interest in using an iphone or other MP3 only to discover that this option was not addressed at the point of sale. The market for a retrofit kit should be there? They sell that funny looking bluetooth device to replace the CPT9000 phones.

DRP
Old 06-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='441486' date='Jun 29 2007, 02:47 PM
No word on whether BMW will produce a retrofit kit that would allow installation of these jacks into the console of a pre-LCI 5er. I would think they will, if its technically possible, since I'm gathering few salesman are aware that this appears to be a factory only option. Thus, a number of people may buy a new 5 in the next few months, subsequently have an interest in using an iphone or other MP3 only to discover that this option was not addressed at the point of sale. The market for a retrofit kit should be there? They sell that funny looking bluetooth device to replace the CPT9000 phones.

DRP
Oh, yes, there is word and it is no, they are not.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

Here's a question: Why BMWNA, and not BMW AG, or both?!
Old 06-29-2007, 02:27 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='441348' date='Jun 29 2007, 03:37 PM
a) Some phone batteries with Bluetooth active don't last well on a 5 hour car journey. Can't stand cables.

b) I sit to be corrected but that element of hardwired connection of the phone to the car's antenna through the cradle seem to reduce the number of opportunities for signal degradation

ABC

My old Moto V600 dies in about 3 hours when connected to bluetooth without the cradle.

The signal is hopeless unless connected via the cradle, it drops out every couple of miles in rural locations.

With the cradle it even worked last year in the depths of Dartmoor.

Quick Reply: iPhone and 5er - inside scoop