Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Getting started with bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d Sport manual Mystic Blue, black Dakota leather, advanced air con, fold/split rear seats, Logic 7, business nav, 6cd, heated F seats

UK question...
If I order my 530d with the media pack (which includes bluetooth preparation) what more do I need to buy/do to get going phone-wise?

...obviousely I need an approved phone or must accept possibly reduced functionality if not approved..
presumably I need to buy a phone-specific adaptor?
If so how much are these?

Do they need to then be programmed?

I understand from other postings here that if the bluetooth on the handset is active when getting into the car the car& phone will work together without doing anything further (without even placing phone in adaptor).

Do you leave bluetooth enabled on the phone all the time - or do you switch on just for when you're in the car?
Old 03-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535d SE Touring Silver Grey / Beige Dakota Media Pack (Pro Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Cd Changer, BMW Assist) Visibility Pack (Bi Xenons, Hedlight wash, Adaptive headlights)

All you need to do is pair the 'phone with the car, by going through the settings menu of I-Drive to the relevant screen (can't remember what its called, but it's not under the regular 'communications' menu for some reason) and using your phone to search for a new device. Once the two are paired, you're in business...

No adaptors are required, though if you like you can get snap in cradles for some 'phones which will then link your mobile to the car's ariel and power supply. Alternatively you can just buy an adaptor for the cigarette lighter to power your 'phone. Both are entirely optional though, the bluetooth kit works without them and you can make and receive calls through the car.

WRT to bluetooth and the mobile, I leave it active all the time and as a result I don't have to do anything when I get in the car. If you choose to only activate bluetooth when in the car then obviously you have to remember to activate it...

Hope that helps

Peter
Old 03-17-2006, 02:42 AM
Members

My Ride: Ordered: 530i - Silver Grey, Black Leather, Anthercite Headlining, HUD, Type 116 Wheels, Sat Nav, Bi-Xenons, Auto dimming/folding mirrors, delivery 1st March 06! Current: E39 525i - Black, Black Leather, Xenons, Through Load, Anthercite Headlining. History: ....

Other phones not on the approved list also work.

I have just bought a Nokia 8800 and can confirm that this works fully with BT including transfer of address book and auto connect every time I start the car.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530d M sport auto, Carbon black, Beige leather, Light poplar trim, Media pack, Extended voice control.

Originally Posted by petem77' post='255775' date='Mar 16 2006, 08:04 PM
UK question...
If I order my 530d with the media pack (which includes bluetooth preparation) what more do I need to buy/do to get going phone-wise?

...obviousely I need an approved phone or must accept possibly reduced functionality if not approved..
presumably I need to buy a phone-specific adaptor?
If so how much are these?

Do they need to then be programmed?

I understand from other postings here that if the bluetooth on the handset is active when getting into the car the car& phone will work together without doing anything further (without even placing phone in adaptor).

Do you leave bluetooth enabled on the phone all the time - or do you switch on just for when you're in the car?

Hi,

I have just bought 530 d with media pack. Blue tooth works just as Peter described. I have paired my Motorola V3 which works well with address book transferred. Only issue is phone power usage when blue tooth power switched on. Phone battery only lasts 24 hours in this mode. The answer is to use a plug in charger whilst in the car and switch blue tooth power off when not required

Enjoy your new beast, the 530D is a great machine

Nige
Old 03-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport manual Mystic Blue, black Dakota leather, advanced air con, fold/split rear seats, Logic 7, business nav, 6cd, heated F seats

Originally Posted by Nige Nige' post='256256' date='Mar 17 2006, 01:01 PM
Phone battery only lasts 24 hours in this mode
Hi,
Is that 24hrs of being in a bluetooth enviornment (ie in the car)?
Or do you mean 24hrs away from the car, such as indoors?
Pete
Old 03-20-2006, 01:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530d M sport auto, Carbon black, Beige leather, Light poplar trim, Media pack, Extended voice control.

Originally Posted by petem77' post='256433' date='Mar 17 2006, 07:51 PM
Hi,
Is that 24hrs of being in a bluetooth enviornment (ie in the car)?
Or do you mean 24hrs away from the car, such as indoors?
Pete
Phone battery seems to last short time even if not in the car. I suppose the blue tooth is constanly transmitting trying to find a pair.

Nige
Old 03-20-2006, 02:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Nige Nige' post='257574' date='Mar 20 2006, 10:44 AM
Phone battery seems to last short time even if not in the car. I suppose the blue tooth is constanly transmitting trying to find a pair.

Nige
What kind of phone do you have? I'm using a Nokia 6230i and have it in bluetooth always. Battery still gives me a couple of days, but to keep the phone in one place while driving (and charge the little rascal) I plumped up the ?60 notes for the snapfit adapter in the armrest.

Only problem is I keep forgetting it's there and end up leaving it in the car

I'm going to end up with a new PDA phone soon and am a bit worried about keeping that one charged synched etc. I already have an ipod hook up and tomtom nav so the dash looks a bit like the starship enterprise anway.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='257584' date='Mar 20 2006, 11:06 AM
What kind of phone do you have? I'm using a Nokia 6230i and have it in bluetooth always. Battery still gives me a couple of days, but to keep the phone in one place while driving (and charge the little rascal) I plumped up the ?60 notes for the snapfit adapter in the armrest.

Only problem is I keep forgetting it's there and end up leaving it in the car

I'm going to end up with a new PDA phone soon and am a bit worried about keeping that one charged synched etc. I already have an ipod hook up and tomtom nav so the dash looks a bit like the starship enterprise anway.
I have a Motorola V3 (RAZR). Does anyone have any news on cradle for this phone?

Nige
Old 03-20-2006, 06:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Nige Nige' post='257606' date='Mar 20 2006, 01:00 PM
I have a Motorola V3 (RAZR). Does anyone have any news on cradle for this phone?

Nige
This seems to be the latest:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...9&hl=v3+cradle