Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Dreaded SOS Call System Malfunction Error Message

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by megamacx
Interesting that it goes away as soon as you start driving. If that's a pattern, maybe a loose connection is the issue?
I checked out the connections in the trunk, and all appear to be tight. I pressed down on them just in case. I was afraid to disconnect/reconnect anything in case it screwed up something else. I also checked some fuses, but they were fine as well. At one point, I turned off BT before parking over night, to see if I would get the light the next morning...didn't change anything. This sucks.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:00 AM
lxg
New Members

My Ride: E60 M5

Originally Posted by Dishoom
I checked out the connections in the trunk, and all appear to be tight. I pressed down on them just in case. I was afraid to disconnect/reconnect anything in case it screwed up something else. I also checked some fuses, but they were fine as well. At one point, I turned off BT before parking over night, to see if I would get the light the next morning...didn't change anything. This sucks.
It's your CCC going out. If you still have blue tooth functionality and the SOS malfunction remains it will go and come back, eventually your CCC will start to reset it's self and eventually give out. Had this same problem happen to my M5 3 months ago, ordered a new CCC from LKQ online and I'm back in business.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by lxg
It's your CCC going out. If you still have blue tooth functionality and the SOS malfunction remains it will go and come back, eventually your CCC will start to reset it's self and eventually give out. Had this same problem happen to my M5 3 months ago, ordered a new CCC from LKQ online and I'm back in business.
I've also tried disconnecting the TCU over night in the hopes that it would "reset," but this hasn't had any effect either. I had the battery checked at Advanced Auto just to make sure there's no issue there...I've read in some cases that a weak battery can affect all kinds of things. I've had the battery replaced under warranty because it was causing problems a couple years back, The replacement battery is running strong though.

This really sucks. I purchased a BMW "gold" extended vehicle protection plan, thinking I didn't need to shell out a whole bunch more the "platinum" to cover the crappy nav....little did I know that one day I would have this problem and it won't be covered. The gold covers certain electrical components, including some control modules, though apparently the TCU isn't part of it!

It''s becoming annoying that I can't use BT for the first 20 min of my commute each day. I plan on asking a BMW tech that I know to perform further diagnosis and scan for any codes. Hopefully it's not the CCC going out!
Old 05-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Members

Just want to add that for the past couple of weeks, the malfunction message no longer disappears and BT has been completely disabled. iDrive and sound still works though. I have kept my trunk lining disassembled in preparation for replacement, and have noticed that the TCU is quite hot to the touch after about 30min of driving around (ie being "on").
Old 07-20-2014, 11:18 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530i

I have a 2007 530i, I received at the SOS malfunction on the windshield display. Now I have no music, no navigation and the monitor is completely out. I checked the fuses and they are all good to go. Please any help would be appreciated before I take it to the dealer. The vehicle is out of warrant and might need a TCU replacement but I am hoping there are other options
Old 07-28-2014, 01:46 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530i

What fuse number is related to the SOS?
Old 09-23-2014, 10:48 AM
New Members

My Ride: bmw 1 series
Unhappy bmw 1 series, SOS message

Good day to you.
I drive bmw 1 series 2006. Recently while I was driving an SOS message showed up on my dash board simultaneously the music stopped playing. Now nothing of the radio is working, CD, monitor is completely out and even the sensor when am reversing is no longer responding.
There is no sound.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:13 PM
New Members

My Ride: bmw 1 series
Default please help...SOS call system error

hello. I drive bmw 1 series, model 2006. A while I was driving I saw an SOS call system error on my dash board & simultaneously the radio went off. and recently the menu screen is not working, there is absolutely no sound in my car, not even the reversing alarm or doors open, or set belt alarm. am so frustrated. any suggestions please!

thank you in advance
Old 09-25-2014, 11:18 AM
New Members

My Ride: e39

You are getting this error message because on of your device on the MOST network (Fibre optic) is faulty.

It could be either your bluetooth module, your TOP HIFI amplifier, your CD changer, your iPOD/Dension device, TV module, iDrive being faulty.
If any of those devices is faulty, it will cause the entire MOST network, and any device attached to it, to go off momentarily or continusouly with more or less frequent reboots. It really depends of the year build of the car, behaviour can be a little bit different, but the outcome is the same.

Removing a fuse is not recommended, you are better off disconnecting the negative lead of your car for 2mn. But this action will bear no consequence most cases.

You need to replace the faulty module after you identified it.

Use a fibre optic cable loop that you plug on the fibre optic plug normally connected to the device. Disconnecting the fibre optic plug from the faulty device will not fix your issue. You will have the same outcome. You need to close the loop.
BMW sells the cable loop for about 3-4 bucks.

Number 4 here
RealOEM.com * BMW E60 525xi Repair parts, optical fibre cable

After you closed the loop on a specific device and the issue is not reoccurring, everything works, except the device/function, then you found the culprit.
Otherwise move on to the next device until you find it.

Last edited by Germaniks; 09-25-2014 at 11:22 AM.