Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Dreaded SOS Call System Malfunction Error Message

Old 08-19-2013, 07:10 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 LCI 535xi Manual Transmission
Red face Dreaded SOS Call System Malfunction Error Message

Hi Guys,

About a month ago, I started getting the SOS Call System Malfunction (SCSM) message.

Details about my vehicle:
- 2008 E60 LCI (It comes with iDrive CCC Professional (8 inch screen), BMW Assist, Handsfree Bluetooth, Voice Commands, Logic7 sound, Navigation). It also comes with the USB port and the Aux Audio port in the Center Console. The USB port allows me to have an USB Flash drive with mp3 files that the iDrive recognizes and plays under the USB menu.

Not sure if I was related, but here are other events that happened those days.

About a month ago, I bought the
Amazon.com: New Potato Technologies TuneLink Auto Bluetooth in Car Stereo Wireless Adapter for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad - (Black) - 1001-01002: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: New Potato Technologies TuneLink Auto Bluetooth in Car Stereo Wireless Adapter for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad - (Black) - 1001-01002: Cell Phones & Accessories
so I could stream music from my phone via bluetooth into the Aux port of the center console.

I took the center console apart (as much as I easily could) to install the TuneLink just below the rear center console vents (feeding the Tunelink device with power from wires going to the center console cigarrete lighters). The idea was to pair the TuneLink with my phone, and everytime I started the car, the TuneLink would auto-connect to the phone. This worked as expected.

1 or 2 days after this was installed and all completed. I saw the SOS Error for the first time. Since I wasn't expecting it, I saw it for a few seconds, and then went away. Didn't care much because I thought it was a one time thing. I didn't lose any functionlity so I didn't care.

I started a long trip (3 weeks), driving about 4500 miles. During those weeks, I started seeing this SOS Error more frequently (some times once a day only, others once every 2 days). Once this started appearing, I knew I had to check it out, but still didn't care much because at that point I hadn't lost any functionality.

About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that once the error appeared, I didn't have access to the bluetooth menu/phone. The option to check whether to use bluetooth on the iDrive or not was there, but I couldn't check it or un-check it. After the error dissapeared (along with the exclamation mark from the car's dashboard screen), normal activity would resume and the car connected to the phone for calls, as usual.

About one week ago, I started seeing this error, not only every day but every time I started the car. In one of my tests, after reading some forums, in order to verify the error was related to the bluetooth functionality, I disabled the bluetooth on the iDrive (whenever the iDrive allowed me to do it), unpaired my phone from the iDrive, and started using it that way for 2 days.

I noticed no changes for better. The SOS Error would show every time the car started, however, now the error stays there all the time (message goes away from the screen but exclamation mark stays). That was about 5 days ago and it hasn't allowed me to turn bluetooth back on ever since.

I read and read and read a lot of forums, and some say it points to a bad TCU, others to a bad ULF.

My car as a TCU that is GSM Enabled (because of BMW Assist), and has a MULF2. Now the questions:

- What could have caused all this? (The only thing I relate of doing before all this happened was installing that TuneLink Bluetooth receiver on the center console. Before that I had never had SOS messages/issues).

- I read that SOS Error usually means a bad module or a disconnect in the MOST Fiber loop. Could I have disconnected something in the center console I wasn't aware of? I saw a module installed in there, but since I had to remove pretty much all the console to check what was it, I am not sure if is even part of the Audio system.

- In case of being a bad TCU or MULF. How can I check which one is bad? I saw some used TCUs for sale on ebay. If the TCU is almost identical (meaning all the specs matching except the IMEI which makes sense to be different) Do I need that to be coded for it to work with my car?

- Any other ideas of what could have gone wrong I could check before I think of replacing a module? (I checked the TCU on the left rear of the trunk, I checked the MULF underneath the spare tire. Unplugged and plugged back in all connections).

- If it turns out to be an expensive fix, I also read about using NCS Expert to disable the SOS Messages. Can that be done as well as a last resort?

-The car is out of warranty, so how much could be having the dealer take a look and telling me what's wrong?

So far (fingers crossed) the only functionality I have lost is bluetooth pairing / phone functionality of iDrive. Yesterday I also noticed as if the car's mic wasn't working correctly because the Voice Commands system wasn't understanding me the spoken commands. I guess this is all related.

Thoughts?

Right now I am on waiting mode, to see what I am going to do next.

I appreaciate any help.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:17 PM
New Members

Update: Today, while driving I noticed the error went away from the dashboard. I parked the car, tried to enable the Bluetooth functionality and to my surprise it worked! I recovered the hands free functionality as well as the voice commands. Left for a meeting for about an hour and when I came back, it kept working.

However, after going to buy some groceries and starting the car one more time, I got the SOS error again. Not sure if this helps, but at least is an update...
Old 11-22-2013, 02:17 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi Wagon

Any update on the SOS error? I have had the same error for 8 months now and have spent hours researching it. I think I will ultimately bring it into the shop to troubleshoot. Since your issue is intermittent it may be a wiring or software update issue. Check to see that everything is firmly connected. The device you installed might be having a compatibility issue with the TCU which might be fixed with a car firmware/software update at the shop. You may also want disconnect the new device and see if the problem goes away. These are cheaper options than to just replace the TCU itself. Let me know what your current status is?
Old 12-11-2013, 03:34 PM
New Members

Hi Danwolf,

Thanks for your interest. I still have that error every single time I start the car. I have been busy and I haven't had the chance to check it more. .I was getting so desperate that I wanted to just try to get my arms around NCSExpert to disable the warning so it doesn't bother me anymore, however I haven't had a chance to take a look at that either.

The device I installed is just a bluetooth receiver that plugs in to the cigarette outlet on one side and the Aux in port on the other. It shouldn't be causing any issues. I think I tried disconnecting it and the error was still there. On the other hand, is the TCU in the trunk? Last time I checked everything was firmly connected (The connectors are designed in a way that is not easy for those to get loose).

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.. I am really interested in getting this resolved (as a last resort, even at the expense of losing my bluetooth / voice commands features). Thanks!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

What phone are you using for bluetooth?
Old 12-13-2013, 05:46 AM
New Members

My phone is a Google Nexus 4, however I haven't been able to pair or use my phone again in the past month or so.

The only thing I remember for sure is that this issue started on July this year in the days I installed the Bluetooth receiver. After reading this post (https://5series.net/forums/bluetooth...fix%2A-136222/) which I remember I read a similar from someone else a while ago, I decided to disconnect the Bluetooth receiver, to try to rule out any incompatibility with that device..

A while ago (maybe 1.5 months ago), the last time the Bluetooth worked temporarily, I turned off the Bluetooth from the idrive (in hopes that turning this off would make the error go away every time I start the car) and I haven't turned it on ever since. However that didn't work... I still get the error every time I start the car..

The only thing I haven't tried since the problem started is disconnecting the battery for a good 10-20 minutes to see if that helps.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:13 AM
lxg
New Members

My Ride: E60 M5

Any word on the fix? Did anyone take it to the dealer?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:55 AM
New Members

Nope. I learned to live with it. I still need to spend some time with NCS Expert to try to get rid of the messages.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62

Any update on this? I'm having the same issue. The light comes on, moments after being parked for an extended period of time. After about 5 minutes of driving, the light disappears and BT functionality is restored and no further issues. This happens every morning when I head to work, and then every afternoon when I head home. Very annoying and hope it's not a precursor to bigger problems!
Old 04-07-2014, 06:47 AM
New Members

Interesting that it goes away as soon as you start driving. If that's a pattern, maybe a loose connection is the issue?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dreaded SOS Call System Malfunction Error Message