Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Do I have Bluetooth or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to have to ask but just got my first E60 yesterday.

I have read as many threads as I can and just not sure of the answer.

My UK 2005 July 05 (with about 14 days left on Warranty) E60 has Prof Nav CCC, it has a TCU in the armrest and the iDrive says Bluetooth is active and I can toggle it on and off, I have also checked the Vehicle settings.

My Nokia E65 wont seem to pair, now from reading that sounds about right, but my wife's Sony K800i wont pair either which I have read should. When I go into Bluetooth and phone settings, the iDrive lists a few Nokias that the previous owner had I guess. But there does not seem to be an add option unless that only appears if a pairing is available.

Now I know Bluetooth is wireless but do I need to connect a phone to the TCU? If so do I need a cradle to do it? I read somewhere that the Bluetooth should work without a cradle, just not full functionality.

Hoping someone can help/advise and I'll be happy to report back my findings.

Regards

Alan
Old 07-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Not sure, but perhaps your car will need a software upgrade for your phone to pair without using the craddle...i'm sure other members will chime soon also....

GL...and to the forum...
Old 07-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by saintalan' post='621365' date='Jul 11 2008, 08:47 AM
Sorry to have to ask but just got my first E60 yesterday.

I have read as many threads as I can and just not sure of the answer.

My UK 2005 July 05 (with about 14 days left on Warranty) E60 has Prof Nav CCC, it has a TCU in the armrest and the iDrive says Bluetooth is active and I can toggle it on and off, I have also checked the Vehicle settings.

My Nokia E65 wont seem to pair, now from reading that sounds about right, but my wife's Sony K800i wont pair either which I have read should. When I go into Bluetooth and phone settings, the iDrive lists a few Nokias that the previous owner had I guess. But there does not seem to be an add option unless that only appears if a pairing is available.

Now I know Bluetooth is wireless but do I need to connect a phone to the TCU? If so do I need a cradle to do it? I read somewhere that the Bluetooth should work without a cradle, just not full functionality.

Hoping someone can help/advise and I'll be happy to report back my findings.

Regards

Alan
I can answer this because I just went through it myself on my 530i. If you get to the menu that shows other paired phones, then you should have bluetooth. On my car in that menu, it actually says something like "Bluetooth connectable in this menu" right above the listed phones. Unlike my past cars, the bluetooth pairing is initiated by the phone. Start the pairing on your phone, and input the code, 4 digit numeric, and then the car will ask if you want to allow the phone to connect. Just follow the menus from there.

If you still can't figure it out let me know and I can send you a step by step.

SEAN
Old 07-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Vegas530i' post='621393' date='Jul 11 2008, 05:26 PM
I can answer this because I just went through it myself on my 530i. If you get to the menu that shows other paired phones, then you should have bluetooth. On my car in that menu, it actually says something like "Bluetooth connectable in this menu" right above the listed phones. Unlike my past cars, the bluetooth pairing is initiated by the phone. Start the pairing on your phone, and input the code, 4 digit numeric, and then the car will ask if you want to allow the phone to connect. Just follow the menus from there.

If you still can't figure it out let me know and I can send you a step by step.

SEAN
Thanks guys for your replies.

Sean, yes I have that Bluetooth connectable above the paired phones but the cursor will not go to it.

I have again tried both phones but there is no option when turning Bluetooth on either the phones or the car to enter key. I guess that would come when they are discovered?

Chapter & verse would be good.

Cheers, Alan
Old 07-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by saintalan' post='621489' date='Jul 11 2008, 08:21 PM

Sean, yes I have that Bluetooth connectable above the paired phones but the cursor will not go to it.

I have again tried both phones but there is no option when turning Bluetooth on either the phones or the car to enter key. I guess that would come when they are discovered?

Cheers, Alan
Ah ha!

I trawled through http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=attach...st&id=55030 and found a little phrase that said "Up to 4 handsets can be paired to the vehicle"

Well there were 4 there from the previous owner, so I deleted them and Hey Presto managed to pair both the Sony and, yes, the Nokia E65!! Now, I have to figure out what I can do with them at the mo I have no idea how to make a call, BUT yes I do have Bluetooth!

Thanks guys and this forum.

Cheers, Alan
Old 07-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by saintalan' post='621489' date='Jul 11 2008, 03:21 PM

Cheers, Alan
the pairing menu is actually on a different menu, under the settings page (press down on the "i" from the main menu) at least in my car it is the last item on that menu, communications settings. click on that, go down to the bluetooth option there, and you should see a message that says "car is in pairing mode on this menu" or something similar. THAT's when you do the search on your phone for the car. Pick any pairing code when the phone asks for it, and then enter the same code on the car when prompted.

hth,
felix
Old 07-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Members

can anyone tell me how I can check if I have bluetooth on my 530i? When I click on "i" and go to communications settings, it gives me no options to select and tells me to contact BMW for help? Any advice is appreciated!