Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Do I have bluetooth???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys

finally picked up my 545 from bmw dealers this morning, spent most of the day averaging 13mpg

The car is a 03/2004 model and has the inbuilt phone into the arm consol (which is removable)

However when I was playing with the communication option in the idrive,
under settings > BLuetooth
I have an option labelled "bluetooth comunication active"

Does this mean that I am able to pair my normal phone (via bluetooth) with the car? or is this another upgrade route?
Thanks

paper
Old 01-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Members

My Ride: -2004 BMW 545i. Silver Grey Metalic. with Black Int.: Sport, Navigation, Cold Weather, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Heated Rear Seats, MP3 Retrofit. (Production date: Jan 2004) -2002 Porsche 911 Cabriolet. Seal Gray with Black Int. & Top: Tiptronic, Heated Seats, Bose Sound.

You just made the cut with 03/04. You should have BT and if you don't it could be enabled with some programming from the dealer. No hardware required.

See the attached SIB from BMW:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BT_TSB_3_2005.pdf (134.3 KB, 99 views)
Old 01-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Members

My cars production date is 09/04 so will it have BT?
Old 01-22-2007, 05:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by ayogago' post='381540' date='Jan 22 2007, 12:42 AM
My cars production date is 09/04 so will it have BT?

Yes it should.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Members

Hi,

Very useful information in that pdf.
I have a question - does bluetooth work without snap-in adapter?

I have E60 produced 2003, it has option "phone preparation". As i understand, the car can be retrofited bluetooth, but my dealer started to ask me about the model of my phone. I understand, that BMW has a list of supported phone, which are supported with all functionality (phonebooks etc.) I don't have a phone from that list (I have Nokia E60), but even if i had BMWs supported phone, i'd prefer not to have to use some snap-in adapter. For me it makes the whole bluetooth concept useless - i might allready get cradle for my phone.

I see bluetooth as a protocol, which allows phones with bluetooth option to be paired with car bluetooth equipment. I don't have to change anything, when i'm changing my phone - i just have to make sure, new phone also has bluetooth option. Also not to mention the freedom of not having to take phone out of my pocket in order to use car hands-free.

With the help of BMWs ETK i see, that i need "Retrofit kit hands-free facil. bluetooth" (part no 84 64 0 304 834). It's description says, it only works with adapter snap-in (dia no. 84_0551).'

If the bluetooth functionality works also without putting your phone into the snap-in, i might as well get whatever snap-in adapter of whatever phone and use bluetooth without using snap-in. So again - does it work that way?

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by OU812545' post='381133' date='Jan 21 2007, 03:12 AM
You just made the cut with 03/04. You should have BT and if you don't it could be enabled with some programming from the dealer. No hardware required.

See the attached SIB from BMW:
Old 01-30-2007, 05:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

First of all, welcome to E60 Forums. Second, please indicate where you live as the options vary from country to country.

You do not require a cradle for BT to work in your car if you have the the right hardware. If you live in North America, I would be pretty sure that your car would require an updated TCU for BT to work since you have an 09/03 production vehicle or go to the BTUM module with a cradle (this still lets you keep the phone in your pocket). If you are in EU, possibly a different story.

Look into Communication Settings in the 'i' menu of idrive. That is the first step. Is BT an option there? If BT is not an option, you will require BT to be enabled in the car and possibly some additional hardware all of which must be done by the dealer.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:27 AM
Members

Hey,

Indication of country added - Estonia.

I-drive doesn't have any BT options. Its CIP is from 12/2004. Car is first registered 07/2003.
Surely i can ask these questions from my dealer, but i have this feeling, that in many cases this forum gives better information and the level of knowledge is much higher than some dealers.

As i asked my dealer about the option of adding AUX-IN, dealer hesitated and had to look up, if this is supported action from BMW overall. I am guessing, they have not dealt with such questions and problems much here.

So shortly - i gave information about the car. It also has factory options called something like "carphone preparation". I want to use my bluetooth supported phone with my car equipment. I'd prefer, if i didn't have to put my phone into any cradle. It would also be nice, if i wouldn't have any special equipment under my center arm-rest and i can use it for putting some things of my own.

Any comments about - what do i need or how can it be done, are more than welcome

Allready suggested BTUM - this means a box under arm-rest and it probably can't be bought by bmw dealer or anywhere in Estonia, but it can be one solution.

Thank you in advance,

---
Jaanus

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='385326' date='Jan 30 2007, 04:21 PM
First of all, welcome to E60 Forums. Second, please indicate where you live as the options vary from country to country.

You do not require a cradle for BT to work in your car if you have the the right hardware. If you live in North America, I would be pretty sure that your car would require an updated TCU for BT to work since you have an 09/03 production vehicle or go to the BTUM module with a cradle (this still lets you keep the phone in your pocket). If you are in EU, possibly a different story.

Look into Communication Settings in the 'i' menu of idrive. That is the first step. Is BT an option there? If BT is not an option, you will require BT to be enabled in the car and possibly some additional hardware all of which must be done by the dealer.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:24 AM
Contributors

Jaanus,

The key is whether or not your vehicle has a Telematics Control Unit (TCU) that supports BT. It is standard on North American production vehicles but I cannot tell you what is standard on EU vehicles.

If you have the telephone preparation option, that would mean the basic wiring is in place and that there should be a way to get a phone to work. The first step would be to communicate with either the dealer or BMW Group to determine if your car has all of the required hardware to permit BT to be activated.

Judging by the software version you have, you would likely need an update to at least enable BT if all of the necessary hardware is in place.