Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Dealer says no BT for pre-Sept 04 builds

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dfndr' date='Jan 13 2005, 10:23 AM
I have an April 04 build 545 6 speed with sport.? It is going in Monday for the emissions software recall.? I called to ask that they be prepared to do whatever is necessary to make the Bluetooth useable.? At present, my communications menu does not have the "communications settings" choice that is needed to pair the phone to the car.? The service advisor stated that cars built before September 2004 will not run BT unless the customer opts to purchase a new TCU for $2000.? I told him that I am aware of other owners of cars of the same vintage as mine that have been able to run BT after their dealers upgraded the software.? He said he has heard such "rumors," but the BMW internal website states the information that he provided to me.? Am I misinterpreting the posts on this board?? Haven't many other owners of cars built between April and August been able to run BT after the software upgrade?
[snapback]78739[/snapback]
My dealer, on Jan 3, told me it was not possible to activate BT on my March/2004 built 545. I called customer service at BMWNA, spoke to Jason, he asked me for my VIN and confirmed that my car qualified for BT, he asked me what dealer I was working with and told me he would call me back. 10 minutes later Jason called me, he had called the dealer and had directed the service manager to the right bulletin, and asked me to take the car to dealer. I dropped the car on Jan 4 and picked up today Jan 14, they kept it for 2 weeks (I had a 325 loaner).

Dealer did the software upgrade under warranty (CIP 15) because of the voluntary recall, the excuse for the long time was that they have only one tech trained to work on E60 and 7's and that guy is usually backed up, and also that the software update takes a long time, it crashes a lot and they have to re-start it.

But my BT is working and i am very happy with my new toy, dealer charged me 1 hour labor ($100)
Old 01-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY 2004 545i; April build; 6 speed; silver grey metalic; black leather; poplar; sport package; cold weather; active steering; xenons .

Originally Posted by Casper' date='Jan 15 2005, 01:10 AM
[quote name='dfndr' date='Jan 13 2005, 10:23 AM']I have an April 04 build 545 6 speed with sport.? It is going in Monday for the emissions software recall.? I called to ask that they be prepared to do whatever is necessary to make the Bluetooth useable.? At present, my communications menu does not have the "communications settings" choice that is needed to pair the phone to the car.? The service advisor stated that cars built before September 2004 will not run BT unless the customer opts to purchase a new TCU for $2000.? I told him that I am aware of other owners of cars of the same vintage as mine that have been able to run BT after their dealers upgraded the software.? He said he has heard such "rumors," but the BMW internal website states the information that he provided to me.? Am I misinterpreting the posts on this board?? Haven't many other owners of cars built between April and August been able to run BT after the software upgrade?
[snapback]78739[/snapback]
My dealer, on Jan 3, told me it was not possible to activate BT on my March/2004 built 545. I called customer service at BMWNA, spoke to Jason, he asked me for my VIN and confirmed that my car qualified for BT, he asked me what dealer I was working with and told me he would call me back. 10 minutes later Jason called me, he had called the dealer and had directed the service manager to the right bulletin, and asked me to take the car to dealer. I dropped the car on Jan 4 and picked up today Jan 14, they kept it for 2 weeks (I had a 325 loaner).

Dealer did the software upgrade under warranty (CIP 15) because of the voluntary recall, the excuse for the long time was that they have only one tech trained to work on E60 and 7's and that guy is usually backed up, and also that the software update takes a long time, it crashes a lot and they have to re-start it.

But my BT is working and i am very happy with my new toy, dealer charged me 1 hour labor ($100)
[snapback]79310[/snapback]
[/quote]
Casper,
Except for the long wait, you got a great result. I will take your post to the dealer Monday. Since my car is an April 04 build, they should be able to do the same for me. Thanks for your post.