Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

charging cell phone

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

I have an e815 - works great but battery life sucks. Try to charge in the car, but unlikemy last car every time I turn off the car the 12v's go off. Is there any way around this? I mean have the phone charge while the car is off?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='223609' date='Jan 13 2006, 01:47 AM
I have an e815 - works great but battery life sucks. Try to charge in the car, but unlikemy last car every time I turn off the car the 12v's go off. Is there any way around this? I mean have the phone charge while the car is off?
I am surprised by your comments about 815 battery life as mine lasts for days and I use it in bluetooth mode many times a day on fairly long conversations. One thing about Motorola phones, when they are new you must follow the battery break in procedures, on the first few charges you must let the battery run down completly before recharging and thus condition the battery. If the phone is fairly new, try visiting your Cell phone dealer and tell them there is a problem with the battery, perhaps you got a bad one and they could change it.

I do not think that you can charge the phone while the car is off.First i would think that this is a function of the charger and not the phone. I recall reading somewhere that moto chargers have a failsafe switch in it that prevents this as to not to cause damage to the battery, however I may be wrong on this point.

Actually, I have an after market charger in my car and I find that even when the car is on and I am enganged in a hands free conversation, the phone states it is charging, but really I am not so sure that it is.
Could be that my after market charger is not that great. The thing I dislike most about Motorala is the charging of the phone. First I dislike the type of connector that goes from the charger to the phone, plug in type with contacts instead of jack type like Samsung. Second, when charging at home or in office with the travel charger, it takes a good 3 hours to recharge the phone. My previous Samsung would charge fully within 1.5 to 2 hours, also the car charger for Samsung was a rapid charger that charged in no time.

I keep a spare travel charger at the office and let my phone charge there when it needs charging.
Aside from charging issue, the phone is pretty good.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Car goes to sleep and all sockets loose their 12vdc under the Power Management System. Not sure if there is hot (after sleep mode) wire you could tap into, but I would not recommend it any way. Even the little light on the Step Tranny goes out after car enters sleep mode. Early on there used to be claims by service centers that E60 battery drain issues were caused by user attached devices but I do not remember any printed bulletins on this issue
Old 01-20-2006, 06:32 AM
Members

I have the same problem with my Treo 650: battery life sucks. My last car - Audi A4 allowed me to charge while the car was off. This was a big bonus! I just recently installed Sirius S50 radio and had the installer allow the power to the radio to remain on even after the car was shut down and the key removed (this allows me to record shows while no in the car). Based on this, I would presume that you could wire one of your 12V to always be on. One word of caution - I did leave the radio on for about 8-10 hours once and I did get a "battery drain" warning on the i-drive.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545, nav, sport, PP, cold weather

go to the main fuse panel. normally the top row of fuses are `always hot and the lower row is switched. us a fues tap and pull power to you charger. hook it up either direct or thru a 12v scoket[ maybe rewiring the passenger foot plug to the hot wires.