Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Car phone suddenly ring

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 02:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Im looking at my Bluetooth passkey right now and i see no MIN#. I see a ESN# and a few other things. I dont have assist activated. Do you guys know where this number is? Is there any TIs info outh on this? Just a thought
Old 07-31-2004, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think the MIN# is only there for GSM based cars. If you show an ESN, then you have the CDMA phone.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:54 PM
Senior Members

Well then, can i get my phone number from my Bluetooth card. I tried to make a call with the phone i got a unable to dail and it started telling me a number and cut off. Then i called back and it said systems are down
Old 07-31-2004, 05:06 PM
Contributors

I tried this this afternoon with each of the area codes in Atlanta, 678 didn't work, 770 didn't work, but 404 said the subscriber was unavailable. I looked at the iDrive, and no cell icon, so I went to communications. No network. Apparently Assist didn't work at 2pm-3pm when I was driving to my dads', and hasn't been up on the return from 8-9.

I'm dying to try this. I think it might work. I'm curious as to the consequences...

james
Old 07-31-2004, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

jk, I wouldn't assume that the area code is anything near where you live.

I'm betting BMW doesn't have area code blocks in various cities, they probably only have one or two codes for the entire country.

BMW probably did a deal with Verizon that includes any roaming or long-distance stuff. Actually, I think the car only dials either 911 or a toll-free number so whatever area code the phone has wouldn't really matter as far as long-distance charges, etc.

Good luck finding out your number!
Old 07-31-2004, 05:48 PM
Contributors

hmm. Yeah, you're right. That makes sense. I wonder if that explains why it always says 'roaming' under the profile.

Can't check tonight anyway, no network keeps coming up. It was there this morning because I tried to do the 'Update Services' to get the traffic info that was discussed on another thread.

I'll let you know what I figure out.

hmm. I wonder if I called 911 would they tell me the number? I think I'll let someone else try that.

james
Old 07-31-2004, 06:03 PM
Senior Members

jksanford,

Where'd you get you number from? In the US i thought we only has CDMA modules. Was 404 just a guess or BMw headquarters area code. Help would be appreciated. I think this would be much easier than jugling my cell and driving with my knees between shifts
Old 07-31-2004, 06:44 PM
Contributors

I guessed. I figure there are 3 area codes in ATL, and the fact that Gwinnett County 911 answered my BMW Assist button when I first got the call meant something (must not). I'm still not able to call the 404 area code plus the last 7 digits on the card because BMW Assist isn't 'on' right now in ATL. I've seen this before, and I'm pretty sure it will work tomorrow.

The only reason I'm hopeful is that I dialed the 404 area code and number (678 and 770 showed disconnected), and the message said the celluar number wasn't available (and the BMW Assist doesn't seem available --- I tested by hitting the SOS button, and it didn't work, and the "No Carrier" message showed up in the communications section.

Maybe I'll get lucky. I'll let everyone know the results tomorrow.

Good night,

James
Old 07-31-2004, 08:10 PM
Senior Members

ok cool. But where did you get the phone number from? im still dont understand where you et it off your passkey
Old 07-31-2004, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jksanford' date='Jul 31 2004, 10:44 PM
I guessed. I figure there are 3 area codes in ATL, and the fact that Gwinnett County 911 answered my BMW Assist button when I first got the call meant something (must not).
911 (or E911 for 'enhanced') works based on the proximity to the cellular tower you are calling through so any cellular customer, no matter what the area code and phone number, will call a local 911 center in an emergency.

I hope I'm wrong but at this point, I say everything is coincidental and you'll find that the cellular number you called that gave you the recording is simply someone else's phone that was turned off.

Quick Reply: Car phone suddenly ring