Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

BTUM Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -2004 BMW 545i. Silver Grey Metalic. with Black Int.: Sport, Navigation, Cold Weather, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Heated Rear Seats, MP3 Retrofit. (Production date: Jan 2004) -2002 Porsche 911 Cabriolet. Seal Gray with Black Int. & Top: Tiptronic, Heated Seats, Bose Sound.

Any ideas on what the problem is with my BTUM (BlueTooth Ugrade Module)?

I installed the phone cradle and BTUM on my 2004 545 (01/04 production date) then brought it in for programming and everything works but the phone mic.
Here are some details of what was done:
-I installed the cradle, plugged in the connection, connected the antenna wire in the trunk. All went perfect thanks to instruction on this forum.
-I added in the BTUM. The Blue light/button on the BTUM turned on once I plugged it in with the key and car off.
-I turned the car on and tested pairing my Mot. Razr phone to the BTUM. It worked perfectly.
The next thing I did was shcedule an appointment with the dealer to get the car programmed to work with the BTUM.
-The dealer completed the work and was able to pair my phone up to the car. (for some reason, the BTUM blue light does not turn on any more)
-Everythink worked(downloaded phone book, able to make calls) EXCEPT no one could hear me. The phone mic seems to be muted.

Some intersting observations:
-The BTUM blue light does not turn on.
-I'm able to make a bluetooth call and stay connected even with the BTUM unconnected and removed from the cradle. (odd one)
-Even with the BTUM out of the cradle, if I press the button on it that is supposed to be lit up, The phone book from my phone updates the list in the car. Again with the BTUM unconnected.
-I know the phone mic works as I have been able to talk to BMW Assist.

The Shop Forman is trying to help but he is running out of ideas.

Anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It seems to me there may be two things going on here...

First, the microphone issue. Did it ever work? Did you ever have the CPT-9000 (hard-wired V60) installed and working? The reason I ask is that the car has two microphones, one for voice command and one for the phone. You may not have the phone one installed at all...

Second, the blue light issue. When was your car built? My bet is that the dealer activated BT in software and your internal TCU supports Bluetooth for whatever reason (like if your build date is on or after 3/2004 or your TCU was replaced at one time or another due to a software crash.) What's happening is that the phone is pairing with the car's TCU, not the BTUM. In other words, you don't need the BTUM at all...

Does that make sense?
Old 01-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Members

My Ride: -2004 BMW 545i. Silver Grey Metalic. with Black Int.: Sport, Navigation, Cold Weather, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Heated Rear Seats, MP3 Retrofit. (Production date: Jan 2004) -2002 Porsche 911 Cabriolet. Seal Gray with Black Int. & Top: Tiptronic, Heated Seats, Bose Sound.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='377771' date='Jan 13 2007, 12:53 PM
It seems to me there may be two things going on here...

First, the microphone issue. Did it ever work? Did you ever have the CPT-9000 (hard-wired V60) installed and working? The reason I ask is that the car has two microphones, one for voice command and one for the phone. You may not have the phone one installed at all...

Second, the blue light issue. When was your car built? My bet is that the dealer activated BT in software and your internal TCU supports Bluetooth for whatever reason (like if your build date is on or after 3/2004 or your TCU was replaced at one time or another due to a software crash.) What's happening is that the phone is pairing with the car's TCU, not the BTUM. In other words, you don't need the BTUM at all...

Does that make sense?
Rudy, It does make sense. Sort of.

The first issue. Is there a phone mic in the car? I assume there is. I have been able to talk with BMW Assist and they can hear me. Does that mean I do have the second phone mic?

The second issue. Maybe the TCU was replaced before. That is possible. I will have to ask the shop forman. My production date is 01/04 so I shouldn't have the TCU that supports bluetooth.

DanTheMan posted a similar problem in December. I sent him a PM to find out how he fixed the problem. Waiting to hear back from him.

Thanks for your help
Old 01-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

If you go to your settings menu, under communications, do you see anything referencing Bluetooth? If you remove the BTUM from the car, can you make a phone call with the paired phone (even though the microphone doesn't work?)

If any of the above is answered yes, then I think you have BT enabled in software. If you have an older TCU, that may be the problem. The BTUM emulates the V60 to the car so if you're going to use the BTUM, the car's software has to be setup like a CPT-9000 phone is installed, not a Bluetooth phone. You can't have both active at the same time, either you have BT or you have a CPT-9000. In other words, since the BTUM fools the car into thinking it has a V60 connected, the car needs to think it has the CPT-9000 installed.

I wonder if that's where your problem is?
Old 01-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Members

Rudy, that makes perfect sense. How do you do it?

The BTUM is supposed to emulate BT via the car thinking the BTUM is a BMW V60 phone.
So the dealer should have programmed the phone to turn on NOT Bluetooth.
Thats why the BTUM blue light no longer turns on since they programmed the car and per your point you can have one or the other but not both options on at the same time.

I'm curious as to why my 01/04 production date car that is not supposed to have BT is able to pair with my phone without the BTUM. Do I have to right TCU for BT?
Why didn't the dealer not do the right thing (program for v60 phone) in the first place?

Rudy, Once again you have come through. I'm not sure if this will fix the muted mic issue, but this will have to be fixed first.

Thanks!!!!
Old 01-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by OU812545' post='378068' date='Jan 14 2007, 12:28 PM
Rudy, that makes perfect sense. How do you do it?

The BTUM is supposed to emulate BT via the car thinking the BTUM is a BMW V60 phone.
So the dealer should have programmed the phone to turn on NOT Bluetooth.
Thats why the BTUM blue light no longer turns on since they programmed the car and per your point you can have one or the other but not both options on at the same time.
I'm curious as to why my 01/04 production date car that is not supposed to have BT is able to pair with my phone without the BTUM. Do I have to right TCU for BT?
Why didn't the dealer not do the right thing (program for v60 phone) in the first place?

Rudy, Once again you have come through. I'm not sure if this will fix the muted mic issue, but this will have to be fixed first.

Thanks!!!!
If I told you how I do it, then I wouldn't be very useful anymore (but I'd have a ton of time on my hands...)

As far as why your car is able to pair without the BTUM, I suppose you might have a replacement TCU for whatever reason. Are you the original owner of the car? Can the dealer pull the history to see if the unit was ever replaced? If not, ask the dealer to check the part numbers on it to see if it's the new part. If it is, you should be able to use it without the BTUM.

Obviously, if it ends up being the old part number, it's probably not working correctly with the software (and likely will never work) so you can either opt to use the BTUM or spring for a new TCU.

Good luck and keep us posted...
Old 01-16-2007, 08:32 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rudy is right on. Similar thing happened with my 12/03 545i. Dealer could not get my BTUM to work, so after a month he replaced the TCU. When he gave the car back he said my BTUM was working fine. First thing I noticed was that the BTUM light was not lit, which means it is not being powered. I removed the BTUM and made a call. I returned the BTUM, eject box and the frame for a full refund.

As far as your mic problem, someone else had a similar problem and said it was fixed with software.