Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

BT Version?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i, Premium & Sports Pkgs., Logic 7, Bluetooth, aux soon!

Has anyone been able to get the BT software version that BMW is currently putting into the E-60?

The reason I ask is that I bought a new phone, the Sammy MMA-900, you may be seeing the commercials.
When I called Samsung support for this phone the rep. told me his super. told him that they don't play well because the phone uses BT ver. 1.2 and BMW uses ver. 1.0 or 1.1. which 'could' explain it. This phone has all BT features enabled OBEX, FTP ect..

so I have 30 days to get my money back on this phone if I find the SW versions are the same and it still won't work. My dilema, not one BMW service center I have called could or would tell me their current BT version.
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

The BMW Bluetooth system uses the standard BT Hands-free Profile (HFP 1.0) with additional commands implemented on top of the BT standard to transfer phonebook data from the phone to the car. This enables the user to access their phonebook and dial from the vehicle's communication center.

BMW is working with phone suppliers and carriers to implement the additional commands, however, this support is not based on business agreements and, therefore, BMW has little leverage to influence phone suppliers to include it. Phones that do not support the additional commands may or may not pair or connect to the vehicle and will only have partial functionality at best. Because of this, phones that do not support the additional phonebook commands will not work as intended, may present significant issues, and are, therefore, listed as non-compatible phones.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
B841304FAQ.pdf (66.9 KB, 94 views)
Old 01-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i, Premium & Sports Pkgs., Logic 7, Bluetooth, aux soon!

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='219628' date='Jan 5 2006, 02:46 PM
The BMW Bluetooth system uses the standard BT Hands-free Profile (HFP 1.0) with additional commands implemented on top of the BT standard to transfer phonebook data from the phone to the car. This enables the user to access their phonebook and dial from the vehicle's communication center.

BMW is working with phone suppliers and carriers to implement the additional commands, however, this support is not based on business agreements and, therefore, BMW has little leverage to influence phone suppliers to include it. Phones that do not support the additional commands may or may not pair or connect to the vehicle and will only have partial functionality at best. Because of this, phones that do not support the additional phonebook commands will not work as intended, may present significant issues, and are, therefore, listed as non-compatible phones.

Thanks cobradav,

looks like the proffessionals are here instead of being at my nearest BMW center.

As I suspected, BMW is lagging behind with their electronics and SW again with this issue. BTW, OBEX is a standard for BT to recognize vcards which is an address book standard. Maybe BMW has got a few proprietary standards of their own if I read this notice correctly. BT 2.0+EDR is the latest BT version, it'll be interesting to see how long it takes BMW to offer it to customers. I predict from past experience, it'll probably be at least one year behind the Japanese auto makers.