Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

BMW Announces Bluetooth for CPT9000 (early cars)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Welcome stalmo. I think you're exactly who BMW had in mind when they designed this Bluetooth module. Because you already had the CPT9000 operational, you should be able to simply pop the adapter in the cradle (just like it's the phone) and pair it to your newer, Bluetooth capable phone.

There are always phones that work with the car that aren't on the "BMW approved" .pdf listing. The Palm-based Treo 650 worked with the car but I don't know about the 700w. Unfortunately, Verizon screws around with Bluetooth on their phones so there might be some issues. Also, many users expect the entire PDA address book to be uploaded to the car but usually that's not what happens. With PDA phones, usually there will be a smaller subset of numbers that transfers with the car like "favorites" or one-touch speed dials. Also, sometimes you'll only transfer the numbers stored on the SIM card if you have a GSM phone.

Bottom line, do some searching on the forums -- there was a even a few threads on the 700w (use "700w" as the search term) so you might learn a bunch more.

Good luck...
Old 02-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='243115' date='Feb 20 2006, 06:51 AM
Welcome stalmo. I think you're exactly who BMW had in mind when they designed this Bluetooth module. Because you already had the CPT9000 operational, you should be able to simply pop the adapter in the cradle (just like it's the phone) and pair it to your newer, Bluetooth capable phone.

There are always phones that work with the car that aren't on the "BMW approved" .pdf listing. The Palm-based Treo 650 worked with the car but I don't know about the 700w. Unfortunately, Verizon screws around with Bluetooth on their phones so there might be some issues. Also, many users expect the entire PDA address book to be uploaded to the car but usually that's not what happens. With PDA phones, usually there will be a smaller subset of numbers that transfers with the car like "favorites" or one-touch speed dials. Also, sometimes you'll only transfer the numbers stored on the SIM card if you have a GSM phone.

Bottom line, do some searching on the forums -- there was a even a few threads on the 700w (use "700w" as the search term) so you might learn a bunch more.

Good luck...
Thanks for the info Rudy. As luck would have it, my local dealer does not have any in stock. Looks like I need to wait - he did not tell me how long.

Regards,
Old 02-22-2006, 07:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Since I started this thread, FYI here's an update on my situation: I am waiting for the backordered adapter modules to come in. I have also switched dealers and am pleasantly (unsurprised) at how our smaller local guy isn't trying to gouge me for 3 hours of labor (second attempt by big guy; first was for Valentine install). It's nice to switch allegiances back to the smaller guy, after a 6-year ownership detour with the big one.

Ciao KMC!
Ray Hull
Old 02-23-2006, 07:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

UH OH !!!

I knew this was too good to be true.

I have a problem whereby there is no audio coming from my end. I answer a call via bluetooth and hear the calling party, but they don't hear me! If I make a call, they dont hear me!!! What the ...

I have done a cellphone shut-down with no apparent help. Even powered down Bluetooth again with no help on powering up.

BTW: using a RAZR V3.

Any help from those in the know appreciated!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by Gizmo' post='244762' date='Feb 23 2006, 11:21 AM
UH OH !!!

I have a problem whereby there is no audio coming from my end. I answer a call via bluetooth and hear the calling party, but they don't hear me! If I make a call, they dont hear me!!! What the ...

I have done a cellphone shut-down with no apparent help. Even powered down Bluetooth again with no help on powering up.

You have just made my suspicious mind start wondering why these adapters were first "delayed" and now "backordered" when there were supposedly 1000 in the supply channel already....

Maybe it's just the RAZR, but maybe it's something else.....Pls keep us posted.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 02-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

At one point early on, I seem to remember that there was a microphone issue where they improved or modified the part to fix some issues (echo comes to mind). Maybe there is a problem with your microphone? It should be fixable under warranty if that's what's going on...
Old 02-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Gizmo' post='244762' date='Feb 23 2006, 08:21 AM
UH OH !!!

Is there never any audio coming from your end? Do you have a CPT9000 to test with? Call your dealer and see if maybe they do as well. It could be a problem with the mic or the phone system in the car that isn't specific to the BTUM. If it does turn out to be the BTUM, your dealer should def. take it back.

As for stock on the module, it's not that there aren't any out there, but they're all sitting on the shelves of dealers somewhere. If your dealer didn't get any already they are probably stuck without for a bit. If anyone wants one now and can't find it locally, e-mail me and I can take care of you, we have plenty in stock.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forums MunchE. It's always nice to have another member here that's affiliated with a dealership and isn't afraid to post messages.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MunchE' post='245575' date='Feb 24 2006, 05:46 PM
Is there never any audio coming from your end? Do you have a CPT9000 to test with? Call your dealer and see if maybe they do as well. It could be a problem with the mic or the phone system in the car that isn't specific to the BTUM. If it does turn out to be the BTUM, your dealer should def. take it back.

As for stock on the module, it's not that there aren't any out there, but they're all sitting on the shelves of dealers somewhere. If your dealer didn't get any already they are probably stuck without for a bit. If anyone wants one now and can't find it locally, e-mail me and I can take care of you, we have plenty in stock.
Howdy Jason,
Thanks for appearing and noting your BMW affiliation. Any word on how the back order on the BTUM is going? We were told there were 1000 available, but the supply has trickled off. I'm on a list, but have no idea of when to expect it.

In advance, thanks again.

Ray Hull
Old 02-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='246069' date='Feb 25 2006, 04:56 PM
Howdy Jason,
Thanks for appearing and noting your BMW affiliation. Any word on how the back order on the BTUM is going? We were told there were 1000 available, but the supply has trickled off. I'm on a list, but have no idea of when to expect it.

In advance, thanks again.

Ray Hull
The initial order quantity was 1000, and dealers were limited to ordering 20 of them. At this point, that stock has been depleted and there are now 560 parts on back order (meaning dealers are waiting for them as soon as they show up)

I have no way to tell when we will get more stock from the manufacturer, at this point it just becomes a waiting game. If it were my customer on B/O, I would let them know it is undetermined and give them the option of cancelling their order or waiting it out. I would guess it wouldn't be more than a couple of weeks, but it's hard to tell.

Any other questions don't be afraid to ask. PM me or something if I'm not paying attention!

Quick Reply: BMW Announces Bluetooth for CPT9000 (early cars)