Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth retrofit done today

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 07:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i SMG, silver grey, grey Dakota leather, dark poplar, 124's, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, CWP, xenon adaptive lights, comfort seats, electric rear sunshade, hardwired V1, Bluetooth, Aux input, Progman 25, poplar wood trim front lower dash and rear cente

Hi everyone,

Upgraded to v13.3 today and had Bluetooth retrofit activiated on my car. Was able to pair my ATT/Cingular V600 without any problem and got the phone book to transfer to the car no problem. When I place or receive a call using bluetooth, I can hear everyone fine, but they cannot hear me at all. Tried troubleshooting with my dealer by switching drivers side and passenger side microphones to see if there was any difference - needless to say no improvement. I'm pretty sure I've read that someone else had a similar problem, but when I did a search I couldn't locate the thread ( probably a user issue ).

Does anyone know what to check for? Is this likely a problem with both microphones or is it more likely a TCU problem? I'm scheduled to take the car back to the dealer on Tuesday, but I'd like to get some advice before I talk with them again.

Thanks and Happy New Year everyone!!!
Old 12-30-2004, 07:38 PM

Some mics have been wired backwards....it's a start...
Old 12-30-2004, 09:04 PM
Members

What is the production date of your '04 e60? Cars produced before March '04 will exhibit this exact behaviour and the only resolution is to purchase an MY05 TCU unit which will run you close to $2000.

Marco
Old 12-30-2004, 09:33 PM
Rob
Members

Did you call BMWNA first with your VIN to check that your car could support bluetooth?

I did this and they told me that my car was OK - but the production date is very early March 04. My dealer has the car now and was concerned that this wouldn't work (they said the production date was 2/04).

I'm hopeful...
Old 12-31-2004, 02:16 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Imperialblue - HK Sound - Panorama Roof - High Executive

Originally Posted by jkava' date='Dec 30 2004, 10:09 PM
Does anyone know what to check for?? Is this likely a problem with both microphones or is it more likely a TCU problem?? I'm scheduled to take the car back to the dealer on Tuesday, but I'd like to get some advice before I talk with them again.

Thanks and Happy New Year everyone!!!
[snapback]73982[/snapback]
I had the same problem. I ordered BT as an option. Worked fine, but others could not hear me very well. I had something fixed on my mic, improved a bit, but not enough.

I ended up with a new TCU, works fine now! Great option!
Old 12-31-2004, 08:24 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i SMG, silver grey, grey Dakota leather, dark poplar, 124's, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, CWP, xenon adaptive lights, comfort seats, electric rear sunshade, hardwired V1, Bluetooth, Aux input, Progman 25, poplar wood trim front lower dash and rear cente

My MY04 545 was produced in March '04. I called BMWNA before taking to my dealer to verify BT compatibility and they confirmed my VIN # is compatible. My dealer is planning on calling BMW Munich on Tuesday morning when I take the car back in to determine if they should replace the microphones or TCU. The tech at my dealer said he believes it will need a new TCU but wanted to verify with BMW first.
The functionality of BT is working in every other way... phone syncs with car perfectly, switches back to phone mode when I turn off the car and exit, automatically re-syncs with the car when I get back in and turn the car on. I can hear everything fine, it just seems the microphones are not being activated when a call is initiated.
By the way, the microphones seem to work fine when I use any other voice commands in the car, so I think it must be something wrong with the TCU not activating the microphones when calls are initiated. Just a guess.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:45 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Imperialblue - HK Sound - Panorama Roof - High Executive

Originally Posted by jkava' date='Dec 31 2004, 11:24 AM
By the way, the microphones seem to work fine when I use any other voice commands in the car, so I think it must be something wrong with the TCU not activating the microphones when calls are initiated.? Just a guess.
[snapback]74128[/snapback]
When teaching the internal phonebook with voice commands I noticed much noise in the background doing this above 60 km/h when playing back the telefon buch. Under 60 km/h the sound was okay. Exactly the same issue as with calling people, so I guess there was something wrong with the noise reduction system in the TCU.

I gave my phone to the dealer and asked to to try it themselves. Agreed was that if they noticed the same issues and couldnot resolve it, they would replace it. And so they did. It solved the issue.

What I now notice is that the pairing sometimes (rarely) doesnot work (have to go back for that, but switching BT on/off helps).

Also did notice change in the transfer of the phonebook. I used to have some names with the extension of "@ UK" for UK-numbers. The sync doesnot copy the characters "@ UK". Strange........

Eric
Old 12-31-2004, 11:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by moballa' date='Dec 31 2004, 12:04 AM
What is the production date of your '04 e60?? Cars produced before March '04 will exhibit this exact behaviour and the only resolution is to purchase an MY05 TCU unit which will run you close to $2000.

Marco
[snapback]73994[/snapback]
Please remind me what the "TCU" is...as it appears mine needs to "break" in order for my 1/04 production car to get Bluetooth.
I recall this site as having a glossary of terms but I could not find it...
Thanks.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

Marco
[snapback]73994[/snapback]
[/quote]
Please remind me what the "TCU" is...as it appears mine needs to "break" in order for my 1/04 production car to get Bluetooth.
I recall this site as having a glossary of terms but I could not find it...
Thanks.
[snapback]74184[/snapback]
Telematic Control Unit and I know what you mean!
Old 01-01-2005, 07:53 AM
Rob
Members

Originally Posted by jkava' date='Dec 31 2004, 10:24 AM
My MY04 545 was produced in March '04.? I called BMWNA before taking to my dealer to verify BT compatibility and they confirmed my VIN # is compatible.? My dealer is planning on calling BMW Munich on Tuesday morning when I take the car back in to determine if they should replace the microphones or TCU.?
[snapback]74128[/snapback]

jkava, please let us know how this goes. Now that I have my car back, the BT is not working properly. I don't have a "compatible" phone, but last night I somehow got a call to come over the car's system. I could hear them but they could not hear me.

I will try to get a compatible phone and try that out. But, if that doesn't fix it, you and I may have the same problem. I'm interested in your dealers resolution.

I would hate to think they'd make us pay for a new TCU when they (BMW) are the ones that said our cars were compatible.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Bluetooth retrofit done today