Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth retrofit done today

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob,

The reason that some BT phones work and some BT phones don't work with the car is most likely because BT is a standard that is not obeyed fully by all cell phone makers. Motorola does the best job at living up to the full standards of BT, and other companies adjust the standards due to their own internal decisions for software functions, etc.

There have been some PDF pages mentioned in this site that show lists of phones that are MOSTLY compatible, but simply because one phone is BT enabled does not mean it fully works with BMW's interface. (Most cell phones use BT only for those remote earphones).
Old 01-01-2005, 05:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Originally Posted by jkava' date='Dec 30 2004, 11:09 PM
Hi everyone,

Upgraded to v13.3 today and had Bluetooth retrofit activiated on my car.? Was able to pair my ATT/Cingular V600 without any problem and got the phone book to transfer to the car no problem.? When I place or receive a call using bluetooth, I can hear everyone fine, but they cannot hear me at all.? Tried troubleshooting with my dealer by switching drivers side and passenger side microphones to see if there was any difference - needless to say no improvement.? I'm pretty sure I've read that someone else had a similar problem, but when I did a search I couldn't locate the thread ( probably a user issue? ).?

Does anyone know what to check for?? Is this likely a problem with both microphones or is it more likely a TCU problem?? I'm scheduled to take the car back to the dealer on Tuesday, but I'd like to get some advice before I talk with them again.

Thanks and Happy New Year everyone!!!
[snapback]73982[/snapback]
Which dealer did you bring to for your software to be updated?
Old 01-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Members

I hope this is not too far off topic, but does anyone know if the bluetooth upgrade will still allow for the CPT9000 w/eject box to work? I'm curious because I'm planning on getting a bluetooth phone at the end of my current contract (3/04), but until then, will be using my CPT9000. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i SMG, silver grey, grey Dakota leather, dark poplar, 124's, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, CWP, xenon adaptive lights, comfort seats, electric rear sunshade, hardwired V1, Bluetooth, Aux input, Progman 25, poplar wood trim front lower dash and rear cente

Hi soc_fans,
I took my car to Stevens Creek BMW. So far my experience there has been kind of a mixed bag. The sales process for my ED order was very good. No problems whatsoever. Service has been so-so. I think I've got their attention now and I've been able to meet personally with the GM of Sales and the GM of Service. I also usually speak directly with the shop foreman who has been very helpful and accomodating. Actually, he detected some noise beginning to come from my AC compressor which I didn't notice yet. He had the compressor replaced during my last visit to prevent a failure in the future. I think they are now pretty up to speed about the software updates and enabeling other features like BT and Sirius for the e60's. However, when I first got my car, I was definitely more informed than their service personnel about current software issues and what retrofits are possible. Still it's frustrating that they didn't get my BT working properly the first time. Also, I had scheduled them to install the AUX input at the same time, but after waiting 3 days for the part to be delivered, apparently BMWNA informed them that it is now on backorder and won't be available from Germany for a couple more weeks - even though the national inventory showed 6 kits available when I placed my order. Frankly I don't know whether this is a BMWNA screw up or if the parts manager failed to order the part when I first requested it???
I figure I will continue to try working with Stevens Creek BMW for a while longer and if I'm still not satisfied then I will take my business to Pleasanton which as you have said is a Center of Excellence 3 years running.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Originally Posted by jkava' date='Jan 2 2005, 02:01 AM
Hi soc_fans,
I took my car to Stevens Creek BMW.? So far my experience there has been kind of a mixed bag.? The sales process for my ED order was very good.? No problems whatsoever.? Service has been so-so.? I think I've got their attention now and I've been able to meet personally with the GM of Sales and the GM of Service.? I also usually speak directly with the shop foreman who has been very helpful and accomodating.? Actually, he detected some noise beginning to come from my AC compressor which I didn't notice yet.? He had the compressor replaced during my last visit to prevent a failure in the future.? I think they are now pretty up to speed about the software updates and enabeling other features like BT and Sirius for the e60's.? However, when I first got my car, I was definitely more informed than their service personnel about current software issues and what retrofits are possible.? Still it's frustrating that they didn't get my BT working properly the first time.? Also, I had scheduled them to install the AUX input at the same time, but after waiting 3 days for the part to be delivered, apparently BMWNA informed them that it is now on backorder and won't be available from Germany for a couple more weeks - even though the national inventory showed 6 kits available when I placed my order.? Frankly I don't know whether this is a BMWNA screw up or if the parts manager failed to order the part when I first requested it???
I figure I will continue to try working with Stevens Creek BMW for a while longer and if I'm still not satisfied then I will take my business to Pleasanton which as you have said is a Center of Excellence 3 years running.
[snapback]74541[/snapback]
I live 5 mins away from Stevens Creek BMW. My experience with them were bad as well. I ordered a cupholder from them and it was due about 3 weeks to arrive but it's already 3 months now. I've been to pleasanton once and one of the sales advisor is friendly and helpful. I can't remember his name though. I'm just lazy to go there again as it's pretty far from my place. You may try making appointment with them and work it out.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Rob
Members

jkava, any word on your BT? I am taking my car in next Friday for the same problem (people can't hear me). I was just wondering if there was a resolution to your issue.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2005, 01:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jkava' date='Dec 31 2004, 06:24 PM
By the way, the microphones seem to work fine when I use any other voice commands in the car, so I think it must be something wrong with the TCU not activating the microphones when calls are initiated.? Just a guess.
[snapback]74128[/snapback]
Are there not two seperate microphones for voice control and telephone?
Old 01-06-2005, 06:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by SG535d' date='Jan 6 2005, 03:53 AM
[quote name='jkava' date='Dec 31 2004, 06:24 PM']By the way, the microphones seem to work fine when I use any other voice commands in the car, so I think it must be something wrong with the TCU not activating the microphones when calls are initiated.? Just a guess.
[snapback]74128[/snapback]
Are there not two seperate microphones for voice control and telephone?
[snapback]76269[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes!
Old 01-06-2005, 08:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 03/04 530, Nav

Just got my BT enabled at the same dealer, Stevens Creek BMW, yesterday.

Same story as usual, they "phone expert" and the parts guy insisted it can't be done. They were helpful though, I persisted and they finally tracked down one of the other service reps who actually knew how to get it done, after that it was trivial.

They charged me $150, took an hour.

I have a 03/04 build with Nav, Cingular Sony Ericsson T637. I haven't used it enough yet but the sound quality seems to be good so far, folks on the other end hear me well. Voice dialing works nicely. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my Phonebook to transfer though.

Pavel
Old 01-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i SMG, silver grey, grey Dakota leather, dark poplar, 124's, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, CWP, xenon adaptive lights, comfort seats, electric rear sunshade, hardwired V1, Bluetooth, Aux input, Progman 25, poplar wood trim front lower dash and rear cente

My car is still in the shop now. Had to wait until yesterday afternoon to drop it off because the new TCU had not been delivered yet. I requested they have a new TCU and microphone available before the work was done to ensure they get it working right this time. I should be able to pick it up sometime today and I will let everyone know if it's resolved.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth retrofit done today