Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth retrofit/activation

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 08:07 AM
B1N
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I know my cars production date has the correct tcu, all I need to get bluetooth to work is to update software and then coding/activation of bluetooth.

I got the dealer to activate the software for free, however, they are going to charge me 1 hr of labour to 'code' bluetooth, is this a fair quote or am i being ripped off?

thanks
Old 11-22-2007, 08:42 AM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

It is not necessarily a rip off, but it is certainly not good customer relations on the part of your dealer. While they were updating the software for free, it would have been almost no additional effort on their part to code the car to activate the bluetooth. When I took my car in for service, the dealer updated the software for some other problems, and turned the bluetooth on at no charge. This wasn't even the dealer I bought the car from. Needless to say, six months later, when I bought my wife an X5, guess who I bought it from - you guessed it, the dealer who took care of me.

You may want to try another dealer, or at least change the SA you are working with. The SA can push stuff through if they want. You might have luck relaying to a new SA how many people have had their bluetooth activated at no charge when they have a software upgrade. Whatever happens, good luck!

Oh, as a side note, I had my bluetooth activated but it really does not work that great. I can comunicate through it, but for any real conversation I always pick up the handpiece so as not to be so irritating to hear for the other party. It is kind of like talking to a person on a bad speaker phone for the other party. For me, I can hear them perfectly. It is great though for checking voice mail.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by MDT' post='497783' date='Nov 22 2007, 12:42 PM
It is not necessarily a rip off, but it is certainly not good customer relations on the part of your dealer. While they were updating the software for free, it would have been almost no additional effort on their part to code the car to activate the bluetooth. When I took my car in for service, the dealer updated the software for some other problems, and turned the bluetooth on at no charge. This wasn't even the dealer I bought the car from. Needless to say, six months later, when I bought my wife an X5, guess who I bought it from - you guessed it, the dealer who took care of me.

You may want to try another dealer, or at least change the SA you are working with. The SA can push stuff through if they want. You might have luck relaying to a new SA how many people have had their bluetooth activated at no charge when they have a software upgrade. Whatever happens, good luck!

Oh, as a side note, I had my bluetooth activated but it really does not work that great. I can comunicate through it, but for any real conversation I always pick up the handpiece so as not to be so irritating to hear for the other party. It is kind of like talking to a person on a bad speaker phone for the other party. For me, I can hear them perfectly. It is great though for checking voice mail.
I agree that the dealer should have done the BT retrofit at no charge since they were already doing a software update to the car.

I don't agree that BT is only really useful for checking voice mail. In my experiences on two different E60s, BT quality was more reliant on the particular phone you use. Many people here use BT on a daily basis with little to no problems so don't assume it doesn't work well based on the experiences of one person...
Old 11-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

There?s a bulletin somewhere from BMW where it tells the dealer to charge an hour for activating Bluetooth. That is why they do it.