Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 03:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 E60 550i

So it seems that the guy who bought the car chose a lot of extras, but no BT, which I so desperately want. I don't think my car has the wiring for the BT either - no mic, no BT antenna etc, so I'll probably end up having to buy a lot of stuff.

Went to a BMW dealer and they quoted me something like $3k for the whole retrofit + re-programming the car afterwards. Plus.. they said that it's quite possible some of the modules might burn out during the re-programming process and those will be out of MY pocket. Figures..

I have an OEM DVD entertainment system in the back seats and the left side panel of my trunk is kinda loaded with it. I kind of wondered where the TCU will fit in that scenario and what wiring will have to be done from there. There's a couple of free brackets between the DVD player and what I think looks like an amp:

Bluetooth retrofit-img_0589.jpg

picture of the brackets themselves:

Bluetooth retrofit-img_0595.jpg

Should the TCU go there? Any suggestions on what I would have to buy (except the TCU, although accepting recommendations about that as well) and installment DIY would be greatly appreciated. The car is a '06 550i, manufacture date is Dec '05.

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:43 AM
Members

Can some of the mods/admins please move the thread to Parts, Accessories and Mods? Hopefully it will be seen by more people there and someone would be able to help.

Thansk.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Members

The TCU is actully located more forward than you are showing. It sits just in front of the amp - the upright silver box with the cooling fins in your picture. Remove the cargo hook loop and 2 push pins on the forward trim panel and bend out of the way to see the TCU. Yes, bend. The 3rd push pin that holds this trim panel in place is behind the rear seat back rest...
Old 01-24-2011, 05:21 AM
Members

Bluetooth retrofit-img_0601.jpg

Is this it? I guess I have no TCU and since I found no "free" cables, there's no wiring for the TCU as well, which I guess would make this a more problematic retrofit?

Has anyone went through this?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Members

hmmm, Cinder, i am pondering what to do myself.
According to a few wise forum members, we should have the TCU installed but simply turned off. I am in a similar situation where i am weighing up acquiring a second hand BT TCU and installing it with coding from the dealer... Except, my cables are there...3 of them tucked in up over the wheel arch...

Price is definately an factor. Densions offer more features for far less dollars.....
Old 01-25-2011, 06:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Take a look at my post (#3) in this old thread (link below). You would see where the TCU is located. If you don't have one installed, then I guess yours might not be pre wired for it. If I were you, I'd just pick up a portable BT device and save the money for other mods. GL.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/816..._1#entry963650
Old 01-25-2011, 06:31 AM
Members

Well, I guess I'm screwed :/ No wiring either, as I didn't find any loose cables there.

Is the Dension 500 an alternative in this case?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Members

Yer... I have cables but no TCU unit. And mine is a Sep 04...they are meant to have them... what the hell!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ulvit
Yer... I have cables but no TCU unit. And mine is a Sep 04...they are meant to have them... what the hell!

Can I ask what the idrive says when you go into menu\communication interface\bluetooth\setting?

My car states has the "bluetooth communication active" text and I cannot check the box.... so does that mean its missing or needs activated?

My car is a 10/2003 build date, and the build spec states bt phone prep.

David
Old 02-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Members

David, my car does not have the bt in the idrive. I presume it requires coding if i get one put in.

Wiring is definatelty there. So I think I need to get a br module and code it to work. Would anyone know if I require a certain spec of an e60 bt module (for eg. euro, lci etc)?

Quick Reply: Bluetooth retrofit