Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

In addition to the advice already posted, isn't there some issue with how Verizon messes up Bluetooth on some of their phones? I remember reading something about that here but don't remember the details...
Old 01-31-2007, 09:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='386117' date='Jan 31 2007, 06:41 PM
Sounds like these phones need an update. It's not the car.
Oddly, the profiles on the phones can radically alter the way the interaction happens.
For example, my car has never had any code updates - it still has the rev that it came with from the factory - built in Mar 05. I have a Motorola Q that I recently updated. Prior to updating the phone OS, when I had multiple phone numbers for a contact, the car didn't mark the entries to indicate the kind of number it was... e.g. work, cell, home, etc... After updating the phone OS, the car now receives and displays (w) beside work numbers, ? beside cell, and (h) beside home. This information was always in the phone, it just hadn't been told to send it correctly before. The newer phone book bluetooth profile that was part of the phone update corrected it. Also, the signal meter (dead before) now shows up fine on the car.
So, I'd say try updating to a newer phone OS rev if you can. See if that helps.

I agree that the problem is likely with the phone OS as my BB 7130 transfered the same database to the car with no problems. Unfortunately I am running the most up to date OS on my BB 8100 so will have to hope an update comes out soon. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='386130' date='Jan 31 2007, 10:28 PM
In addition to the advice already posted, isn't there some issue with how Verizon messes up Bluetooth on some of their phones? I remember reading something about that here but don't remember the details...
They have largely stopped crippling their phones as far as Bluetooth is concerned. My Q is Verizon and it's fully featured.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='386313' date='Feb 1 2007, 12:30 PM
They have largely stopped crippling their phones as far as Bluetooth is concerned. My Q is Verizon and it's fully featured.
Do all of the contacts stored in your Q pair? With the Treo, only favorites are accessible in the i-Drive.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by AP Sales' post='386343' date='Feb 1 2007, 03:24 PM
Do all of the contacts stored in your Q pair? With the Treo, only favorites are accessible in the i-Drive.

They all transfer.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='386130' date='Jan 31 2007, 10:28 PM
Verizon famously crippled the Bluetooth implementation on the V710 and that limited that mobile's ability to send phone numbers to the car.

The reasoning was so that Verizon could charge for air time when you wanted to send a picture, instead of allowing the user to use Bluetooth.

Verizon now fully supports Bluetooth and has done extensive testing of car functionality. This doesn't mean their mobiles will all work - there are still too many variations here in how the mobile device makers deploy Bluetooth profiles, but it's a 360? change from when they first offered a Bluetooth mobile.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Westcoast 550' post='385512' date='Jan 30 2007, 04:46 PM
My Blackberry Pearl did exactly the same thing - cycling in and out of bluetooth connectivity. The problem turned out to be the address book. It starts syncronizing the address book when the bluetooth connects, but as soon as it gets to an entry it doesn't like (such as a overseas number that begins with a "+" sign or other objectionable character), the connection crashes. It then cycles through again.

My solution was to turn off transfer of the address book feature in my BB and it works fine - no dropped calls, connects all the time. Interesting that my previous BB (7130) had the same address book data but could sync the entire address book no problem. I am running CIP 24.02 (yes, the no ebrow version...)

I suspect your problem is also address book related. Hope this helps - good luck.
All of my phone numbers in my BB Pearl have a + before the country code - and this has not proven to be a problem.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

After using BT with my BlackBerry 8700c for quite some time on my old CIP version, I'm now seeing some strange issues since the car was updated to 24.00.

With the old version, most of my contacts would transfer (up to about the letter 'T') because of the suspected memory limitation but now, if I can even get the contacts to transfer (it's hit or miss), it only transfers to the letter 'P'. At first, after the software upgrade, only the first contact would transfer. I deleted the pairing and re-paired things a few times but nothing changed. I ended up deleting the first contact and it still only transferred one contact (the new 'first' contact which used to be the second contact.) I grabbed a colleague's BlackBerry Pearl and it transferred all contacts fine so I figured it may be something screwy with my phone.

I ended fiddling with the contact transfer options in my BlackBerry 8700c (flipped it from 'all contacts' to 'hotlist') and I was able to get the contacts to transfer up to the letter 'P' -- I never had to mess with that setting before to get things to work -- and just for fun, I set it back to all contacts and re-paired things and it ended up transferring up to the letter 'P' again.

I figured that it was just a strange glitch and I assume that CIP 24.00 takes more memory than my older version did so that's how I explained why now I'm only getting contacts to 'P' instead of to 'T'. I figured that was the end of it until yesterday...

Yesterday, no contacts would transfer again. So far, I haven't seen any occurrences of the phone losing it's pairing, I'm only seeing problems with the address book. To me, this new issue is clearly related to the updating of the car's software and not the phone -- the contact database did not have any extensive modifications as far as I can remember (not that I'm completely ruling out that possibility).

The new CIP does have some pretty significant changes to the menus and screens but I don't know if they made any major updates to the BT stack, etc.

Can anyone else help shed some light on this?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 M3 Competition Package, 2006 M5

My Treo 750v connects to the BMW system but is doing on/off cycles all the time. I had a Treo 680, and was working perfect except that the battery sucks (I already sold the 680). I decided not to use my current Treo 750 with my BMW. I will wait for iPhone by Apple, hope it works with my BMW.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='393130' date='Feb 19 2007, 10:52 AM
After using BT with my BlackBerry 8700c for quite some time on my old CIP version, I'm now seeing some strange issues since the car was updated to 24.00.

With the old version, most of my contacts would transfer (up to about the letter 'T') because of the suspected memory limitation but now, if I can even get the contacts to transfer (it's hit or miss), it only transfers to the letter 'P'. At first, after the software upgrade, only the first contact would transfer. I deleted the pairing and re-paired things a few times but nothing changed. I ended up deleting the first contact and it still only transferred one contact (the new 'first' contact which used to be the second contact.) I grabbed a colleague's BlackBerry Pearl and it transferred all contacts fine so I figured it may be something screwy with my phone.

I ended fiddling with the contact transfer options in my BlackBerry 8700c (flipped it from 'all contacts' to 'hotlist') and I was able to get the contacts to transfer up to the letter 'P' -- I never had to mess with that setting before to get things to work -- and just for fun, I set it back to all contacts and re-paired things and it ended up transferring up to the letter 'P' again.

I figured that it was just a strange glitch and I assume that CIP 24.00 takes more memory than my older version did so that's how I explained why now I'm only getting contacts to 'P' instead of to 'T'. I figured that was the end of it until yesterday...

Yesterday, no contacts would transfer again. So far, I haven't seen any occurrences of the phone losing it's pairing, I'm only seeing problems with the address book. To me, this new issue is clearly related to the updating of the car's software and not the phone -- the contact database did not have any extensive modifications as far as I can remember (not that I'm completely ruling out that possibility).

The new CIP does have some pretty significant changes to the menus and screens but I don't know if they made any major updates to the BT stack, etc.

Can anyone else help shed some light on this?
The above problem is solved:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=407761