Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth Operation questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004 | 04:16 PM
Members

I've had the BT upgrade in my 4/04 545. My phone is a Sony Ericsson T616. I had difficulty getting the phone book to transfer initially, but somehow it magically showed up in the phone window. I suspect the key was to switch the ignition off and then on again after pairing as noted in other messages. Both the local dealer and BMWNA said I have a compatible phone.

Now I can't figure out how to trigger an phone book update. Updating the phone then just switching on the ignition doesn't seem to work.

1. Do the phone numbers need to be in the SIM chip or in the phone memory?

2. I've got maybe 200 entries - how long does the update take?

3. When I update the phone (from my Mac with Isync), the phone shows a moving bar when the update is taking place - does this happen with the car? I don't see it.

4. On my phone, when paired with the car, the BT icon is a little "headset", different from when it's paired with the computer (left/right pointing triangles). What is your BT icon when paired?

5. Can anyone tell me the proper sequence?

I also have a European T630 which seems to act the same, so I don't think I have a phone problem.

Chris
Old 12-13-2004 | 04:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I don't have that phone... but my phonebook uploads quickly. I have about 200 entries. By the time iDrive loads, my numbers are ready.

They do not have to be on the SIM card.
Old 12-13-2004 | 04:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

My experience with my RAZR is that they need to be on the phone.

Once they have tranferred they stay there and are viewable immediately. Updates to the phone show up later.

3. When I update the phone (from my Mac with Isync), the phone shows a moving bar when the update is taking place - does this happen with the car? I don't see it.
Never checked the phone. It seems to happen in the background when the BT link is idle. So you shouldn't be making a call

4. On my phone, when paired with the car, the BT icon is a little "headset", different from when it's paired with the computer (left/right pointing triangles). What is your BT icon when paired?
I see the same BT symbol when paired with the car, headset or computer

[Look here

I also have a European T630 which seems to act the same, so I don't think I have a phone problem.
Old 12-14-2004 | 10:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by chrisd' date='Dec 13 2004, 08:16 PM
I've had the BT upgrade in my 4/04 545.? My phone is a Sony Ericsson T616. I had difficulty getting the phone book to transfer initially, but somehow it magically showed up in the phone window.? I suspect the key was to switch the ignition off and then on again after pairing as noted in other messages. Both the local dealer and BMWNA said I have a compatible phone.

Now I can't figure out how to trigger an phone book update.? Updating the phone then just switching on the ignition doesn't seem to work.

Chris
[snapback]68808[/snapback]
Chris,

I have the very similar T637 and also sync with my Mac using iSync.

1. It appears that the phonebook is transferred from the phone and not the SIM (as with iSync).
2. I also have about 200 numbers. No idea how long it takes because there is no indicator that the sync is taking place.
3. See above - no indication on phone or car that I can find.
4. When paired, my BT icon looks like two arrows forming a circle. This is true when paired with the car, a BT headset or with my computer. (i.e. I think it is not specific to the car, just a BT link confirmation icon)
5. Like you, as far as I can tell, the phone book just magically appeared. After the first time, I made some major changes to my phone book (adding/deleting several names). I couldn't find any way to force a sync with the car. I tried re-pairing, tried a "send" from the phone - nothing. Then, the next morning, all the new phone book info was in the car. No idea how or when, it just happened. Turning the car off does seem to have something to do with the process, but as far as I can tell, there is no way to make it happen.

I don't think there is any problem with your phone. This is just the way BT is implemented in the car.

--Joe