Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth Issue in my 545i

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 04:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Cars:2005 545iMods:Carbon Filter Removal, Interior Ultimate LED upgrade from HBP

So i have a very interesting issue with my 2005 545i. I bought the car about a month and a half ago from a local dealer. The car is a 2005, build date November 2004. The car has the Motorola v9000 handset dock installed in the armrest. When i got the car i tried to connect my bluetooth phone, because the car should have a bluetooth module in it. When i enter the phone menu there is no option for searching for a bluetooth phone. Even when i go into the "i' menu there is nothing there either regarding any phone settings. I went to my dealer and they spent about an hour looking at the car and scratching their heads trying to figure it out. They said it was almost impossible that the car had the v9000 installed in it with the build date i have. They said I have a working TCU installed in the trunk, but they did not know why the idrive didnt have the bluetooth options. So they gave me these options... 1) replace the TCU which they said is working 2) do the idrive update for 250. I will do the update when I get ipod and Sirius installed, but i want to wait until i have the sirius module in a few weeks. Also they said the update may not fix it. So my question is, are there any adaptors i could buy for my v9000 dock that would allow me to connect my blackberry bold 9700? Or are there any other options i have besides buying a new TCU unit? Any input would be appreciated. I did some searching on this forum, but my situation with the v9000 is pretty rare, so i didnt find anything. Thanks in advance for the help guys!
Old 05-29-2011, 05:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wrvandeveer
So i have a very interesting issue with my 2005 545i. I bought the car about a month and a half ago from a local dealer. The car is a 2005, build date November 2004. The car has the Motorola v9000 handset dock installed in the armrest. When i got the car i tried to connect my bluetooth phone, because the car should have a bluetooth module in it. When i enter the phone menu there is no option for searching for a bluetooth phone. Even when i go into the "i' menu there is nothing there either regarding any phone settings. I went to my dealer and they spent about an hour looking at the car and scratching their heads trying to figure it out. They said it was almost impossible that the car had the v9000 installed in it with the build date i have. They said I have a working TCU installed in the trunk, but they did not know why the idrive didnt have the bluetooth options. So they gave me these options... 1) replace the TCU which they said is working 2) do the idrive update for 250. I will do the update when I get ipod and Sirius installed, but i want to wait until i have the sirius module in a few weeks. Also they said the update may not fix it. So my question is, are there any adaptors i could buy for my v9000 dock that would allow me to connect my blackberry bold 9700? Or are there any other options i have besides buying a new TCU unit? Any input would be appreciated. I did some searching on this forum, but my situation with the v9000 is pretty rare, so i didnt find anything. Thanks in advance for the help guys!
Is it a V9000 snap in adapter or is it a non-original adapter that was hacked in?

I have a Nokia phone adapter installed in my '07 e60 (no phone - only the adapter) and I have BT paired several phones successfully. I'm sure BT was an installed standard in '05 but maybe it's a coding issue - $250 to update coding for your car is a rip-off. Check the part number for the TCU to verify it is BT capable. If it isn't, only then would I listen to a "parts-replacer 'mechanic'" suggestion but I'd find another BMW shop that had better qualified workers.

You can search the BMWUSA site for BB adapters .. ... e.g. http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...cessories.aspx if it's available for your year/model the information will be there. You can decide where to purchase it - including eHay.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:38 AM
Members

My Ride: Cars:2005 545iMods:Carbon Filter Removal, Interior Ultimate LED upgrade from HBP

The v9000 is a bmw installed accessory, i believe it is snap in because i can eject it. I figured the 250 was pretty expensive, im looking into other alternatives for that.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wrvandeveer
The v9000 is a bmw installed accessory, i believe it is snap in because i can eject it. I figured the 250 was pretty expensive, im looking into other alternatives for that.
Then you can also replace the snap in with one for your BB. As for BT connection, are you following the procedure outlined in your owner's manual exactly ... step by step? NOt doing so can be very frustrating. I'd try that before looking for a coding issue that may or may not be the cause for the issue. If you don't have the manual for your car one you can download is available in the information section of this forum.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:06 AM
Members

Yeah the problem with the snap in connector is I have an upgrade coming soon and i dont know what phone i will be getting, and i cant justify sending 90$ on the snap in for 2 months of use. Ive tried following the owners manual and there exist no bluetooth options anywhere in my idrive. The phone section has nothing. No menus or anything, and there are no phone options in the i menu.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

I think your dealer is minsinformed. In the early E60's, your choices were either the Moto v9000 or BT. You cannot have both working simultaneously.

You will have to get the cradle removed or at the very least disconnected or turned off and the car programmed so that BT is enabled. Your BB should pair just fine then as long as it is on the list of compatible phones.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Members

thank you ademitt! i will see what i can do here