Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth Capability for non-BT 5's

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

There is an article on page D6 of today's WSJ discussing the increase in BT capability in vehicles. At the end of the article is a reference to a product kit launching this month that (it says) should provide BT capabilities for non-BT equipped BMW's. No other details other than a mention of likely cost ($450 US) and the company (Connects2 USA). Never heard of these guys before but may be of interest to E60 owners who don't have the BT capable TCU.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i, Orient Blue, bought used with 22000 miles. Grey lether, sport package, BMW Assist, Cold Weather package. Xenons. NOT premium for some reason, I do like the metal finish vs. the wood, but do miss the garage opener.

ARTICLE

March 3, 2005

REINVENTING THE WHEEL

DOW JONES REPRINTS

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. To order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers, use the Order Reprints tool at the bottom of any article or visit:
www.djreprints.com.

? See a sample reprint in PDF format.
? Order a reprint of this article now.

Hands-Free Bluetooth Cellphone Systems

By MICHELLE HIGGINS
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
March 3, 2005; Page D6

What Is It: Wireless technology for your car that lets you answer your cellphone without taking it out of your pocket. Bluetooth, a short-range radio link used to wirelessly connect cellphones, computers and other devices, is coming to more cars. The technology links a Bluetooth cellphone with the vehicle's sound system, turning the vehicle into one big speakerphone. Users push a button on the dashboard or steering wheel to answer or make a call. A built-in microphone picks up the driver's voice and the car's stereo speakers pipe in the caller's voice. At least 17 auto makers plan to offer Bluetooth communications options in 2005, up from just seven last year, according to Telematics Research Group in Minnetonka, Minn.

Cars That Have It: Voice-activated systems made by Johnson Controls Inc. are standard on the 2005 Acura TL, RL, and MDX and optional in several Chrysler vehicles including the 2005 Chrysler 300, Dodge Ram and Jeep Grand Cherokee. The systems automatically mute the radio before receiving or sending a call and display incoming numbers on the radio or instrument panel. BMW is offering a similar system on most of its 2005 vehicles. Toyota offers a system as an option on the 2005 Prius and LandCruiser, but it isn't voice activated. Drivers use a touch pad in the navigation screen to make a call.

The incoming-call display of the Acura RL's hands-free system

Upside: The hands-free systems can accommodate more than one phone, though only one call will be heard through the speakers.

Downside: Bluetooth phone not included. If you don't already have a Bluetooth phone, you're going to have to go out and get one.

Cost: Chrysler's factory-installed system costs $275. Other systems are either standard or come as part of an optional package. For example, the Prius hands-free system is wrapped into a $5,065 optional package that includes a security alarm and xenon headlights. Ford and BMW's Mini USA offer systems through their dealers that cost $400 and $450, respectively.

Alternatives: Raytel LLC in San Diego, Calif., offers voice-activated installation kits for any vehicle. Prices range from about $700 to $1,100. This month, Connects2 USA will launch $450 kits designed specifically for older model BMWs that don't have Bluetooth technology built in. In April, the company plans to introduce similar systems for Mercedes and Jaguar vehicles.

Write to Michelle Higgins at michelle.higgins@wsj.com1

URL for this article:
http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB1109813...7069068,00.html

Hyperlinks in this Article:
(1) mailto:michelle.higgins@wsj.com

Copyright 2005 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. Distribution and use of this material are governed by our Subscriber Agreement and by copyright law. For non-personal use or to order multiple copies, please contact Dow Jones Reprints at 1-800-843-0008 or visit www.djreprints.com.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think the key word in the article is "older" BMWs.

They're probably developing something for cars older than the E60...