Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth for Beginners (Dummies)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 06:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uukahn' date='Dec 29 2004, 08:47 PM
welcome a board MarinersRule.
I have one more question about the bluetooth to everyone or to Joe?
When making a phone call, how does it work?
Do we press phone button from the steering wheel? or from the phone itself?

I just purchased bluetooth phone today and It's on first 24hrs charge period now. I didn't have chance to figure this out yet.
thanks in advance for any help.?
[snapback]73605[/snapback]

Others have responded on the "left side" steering wheel buttons. The right side buttons can also be programmed to different functions (phone and non-phone related). I have one set to open the phone book listing on the iDrive. Press that button once and the address book appears, dial to desired number with iDrive wheel, press wheel to dial number.

An earlier post mentioned something along the lines of "we will let you know when we get ours to work." Note that the description on that person's car shows a March 2004 build. If you are ordering now, you are getting a MY2005 most likely built after September 2004. This is a completely different car when it comes to Bluetooth. The BT announcement was officially made in October 2004. Adding this option to earlier models (even 2004) can be tricky because it is a hardware and software issue. You should not have any problems - as long as you use a compatible phone.

--Joe
Old 12-31-2004, 08:07 AM
Members

My Ride: Born Date 9, 1 2004. 2005 530i, silver gray, steptronic, nav, Adaptive xenon, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, premium sound pkg, Euro rear reflector. MP3 Enabled

Originally Posted by jrm21' date='Dec 30 2004, 10:18 AM
An earlier post mentioned something along the lines of "we will let you know when we get ours to work." Note that the description on that person's car shows a March 2004 build. If you are ordering now, you are getting a MY2005 most likely built after September 2004. This is a completely different car when it comes to Bluetooth. The BT announcement was officially made in October 2004. Adding this option to earlier models (even 2004) can be tricky because it is a hardware and software issue. You should not have any problems - as long as you use a compatible phone.

[snapback]73755[/snapback]
[/quote]

My car was built in 9/2004 which I bought on October and also came with bluetooth. Currently I was able to pariring the phone but address book didn't show any except for address for nav that I stored manually. I have read from other people's thread that it takes time to download all the phone book.. Since I don't drive much, I probably know by tomorrow.

and all the people in this forum.. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Old 12-31-2004, 08:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by uukahn' date='Dec 31 2004, 10:07 AM
My car was built in 9/2004 which I bought on October and also came with bluetooth. Currently I was able to pariring the phone but address book didn't show any except for address for nav that I stored manually. I have read from other people's thread that it takes time to download all the phone book.. Since I don't drive much, I probably know by tomorrow.

[snapback]74117[/snapback]
Please tell us what kind of phone you have. It makes a big difference. Also have you followed these instructions carefully?
Old 12-31-2004, 08:13 AM
Members

My Ride: Born Date 9, 1 2004. 2005 530i, silver gray, steptronic, nav, Adaptive xenon, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, premium sound pkg, Euro rear reflector. MP3 Enabled

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 31 2004, 12:10 PM
[quote name='uukahn' date='Dec 31 2004, 10:07 AM']My car was built in 9/2004 which I bought on October and also came with bluetooth. Currently I was able to pariring the phone but address book didn't show any except for address for nav that I stored manually. I have read from other people's thread that it takes time to download all the phone book.. Since I don't drive much, I probably know by tomorrow.

Please tell us what kind of phone you have. It makes a big difference. Also have you followed these instructions carefully
[snapback]74118[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have Motorola Razr V3 phone. I've just got this phone, because from other threads, Razr is working fine with BMW..
Old 12-31-2004, 08:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by uukahn' date='Dec 31 2004, 10:13 AM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Dec 31 2004, 12:10 PM'][quote name='uukahn' date='Dec 31 2004, 10:07 AM']My car was built in 9/2004 which I bought on October and also came with bluetooth. Currently I was able to pariring the phone but address book didn't show any except for address for nav that I stored manually. I have read from other people's thread that it takes time to download all the phone book.. Since I don't drive much, I probably know by tomorrow.

Please tell us what kind of phone you have. It makes a big difference. Also have you followed these instructions carefully
[snapback]74118[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have Motorola Razr V3 phone. I've just got this phone, because from other threads, Razr is working fine with BMW..
[snapback]74121[/snapback]
[/quote]

Follow those instructions exactly. Remember to turn the car off etc. The Phone can take up to 20 minutes to transfer. If that fails themn move the numbers to the phone from the SIM. Thats how I have it configured.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:16 AM
Man
Members

My Ride: 2005 525 Silver Gray/Black, Step, Premium, Cold, Xeon, 18" wheels

Mariners...

The only tricky part I found was pairing the phone initially. Somewhere on E60dotnet, I downloaded full instructions. I searched bluetooth and spent about three minutes findinf what I needed.

Finding the bluetooth menu on the iDrive was a bit unorthadox. You have to access the menu when you push down on the controller from the main menu. Then you go to communication options, enable bluetoooth and that puts the car in discovery mode. Then you have your hands free profile seerch and it will find the BMW.

The other hard part was the pin number. I was looking for a card with a pin number, but you do not need that, you make up your own number. You enter it in idrive and on your phone.

Then leave the phone and car on and it will transfer your phonebook. This can take a while, so be patient.

When you are done, you will have the best hands free phone system you have experienced.

I had a MB C32 with the built in motorola V60 and the TL with bluetooth, and the BMW system is BY FAR, the best quality and easiest to use.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:17 AM
Members

Yes, I have follow that instruction and I was able to pair successfully and when I start the key, I can see phone and bmw pairing, but no address book from anywhere, onlything I can see under address book was that address I stored manually for the nav. Hopefully it's me that I haven't wait for several minutes, since I have over 100 phon numbers stored in the phone.. so I would give additional time to let it sync. my phone book.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by uukahn' date='Dec 31 2004, 10:17 AM
Yes, I have follow that instruction and I was able to pair successfully and when I start the key, I can see phone and bmw pairing, but no address book from anywhere, onlything I can see under address book was that address I stored manually for the nav. Hopefully it's me that I haven't wait for several minutes, since I have over 100 phon numbers stored in the phone.. so I would give additional time to let it sync. my phone book.
[snapback]74126[/snapback]
RTFM!

HAA! You are looking in the wrong place. Its called the A-Z list. It has a Blue background and is in the phone menu which is in the communications menu.

The phone has nothing to do with the NAV which is where you are looking. The instructions are in the manual. The BT phone works the same as the CPT9000 once paired.

Also print this out and keep it as a reference for getting around your car.