Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth for 2007 Benz

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if Mercedes Benz has a bluetooth system similar to the Bmw's? I couldn't find any info online and i was wondering if you guys can help me. I think the 2007 S550 has it but haven't seen it in the other classes and was wondering if 2007 cars will come standard with bluetooth. Im sorry, i know this is not a Benz forum and not such a good place to ask this question but i found this forum very helpful in every way, unlike the benz forums. Thank you
Old 02-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

No not yet i didnt hear... maybe in the new 2007 S Klasses?
Old 03-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Members

They now have a bluetooth retrofit program; not all the dealers know about it. It's a little expensive, but it's pretty interesting. The current Mercedes solution involves an approved mobile phone that is placed into a cradle and is hardwired into the car's audio system. The retrofit involves placing a bluetooth "puck" that fits in the place of one of those hardwired phones. The puck has all of the bluetooth transmitter hardware and "tricks" the system into believing that the bluetooth phone is one of the approved phones. All told, the retrofit could cost between $500-$1500, depending on how your particular Mercedes is configured.

I suppose the most interesting part of the solution is that it doesn't in any way involve finding a way for the phones to use the external antenna, since the original (or at least the most persistent) reason given by MB for no bluetooth was that such phones wouldn't be able to use the external antenna. Not that lots of people bought that reason, but they didn't even pretend that it matters now.

Once installed, it pretty much behaves like the BMWs. Some phonebooks transfer, some don't. Most can at least use the speakerphone option.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by KensingtonPark' post='249895' date='Mar 4 2006, 07:04 PM
They now have a bluetooth retrofit program; not all the dealers know about it. It's a little expensive, but it's pretty interesting. The current Mercedes solution involves an approved mobile phone that is placed into a cradle and is hardwired into the car's audio system. The retrofit involves placing a bluetooth "puck" that fits in the place of one of those hardwired phones. The puck has all of the bluetooth transmitter hardware and "tricks" the system into believing that the bluetooth phone is one of the approved phones. All told, the retrofit could cost between $500-$1500, depending on how your particular Mercedes is configured.

I suppose the most interesting part of the solution is that it doesn't in any way involve finding a way for the phones to use the external antenna, since the original (or at least the most persistent) reason given by MB for no bluetooth was that such phones wouldn't be able to use the external antenna. Not that lots of people bought that reason, but they didn't even pretend that it matters now.

Once installed, it pretty much behaves like the BMWs. Some phonebooks transfer, some don't. Most can at least use the speakerphone option.
Before I got my 530i I looked at a CLS500 and the MB dealer told me they have a retro fit program for it for $400-600. He was not sure if the phone book worked with my blackberry 8700.

The 530i bluetooth works very well with my blackberry and I am very happy with it. Between Comfort Access and Bluetooth I am a happy man!