Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Bluetooth for the 1 series?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 05:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

The following below is from BMW's description of features on the new 1 Series from the bmw.com website. How is it they were able to resolve the Bluetooth issue for the 1 but still having trouble with the 5 series? Other things that they put on the 1 Series and the E90 3 series that I would guess they are probably waiting to put on the 5 during a mid cycle update are the 7 series style key with the ignition button. Taking all that into account and other features which are standard on the other models and lacking on the E60 such as LED brake-lights, you would never guess that 25% of BMW's profits come from the 5 series, they almost make it seem like it is a red headed step child. Don't take it as I am trolling for a flame war, I am just trying to understand.

From BMW.com:

Communicative.

The new BMW 1 Series telephone options enable you to share your driving experiences whenever and with whomever you want: choose from the optional car telephone, mobile phone cradle with Bluetooth interface and hands-free telephone function. A Bluetooth-compatible mobile phone can be connected using a separately available snap-in adapter and operated together with a navigation system via iDrive.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by firewired' date='Oct 13 2004, 08:48 AM
Taking all that into account and other features which are standard on the other models and lacking on the E60 such as LED brake-lights, you would never guess that 25% of BMW's profits come from the 5 series...?
[snapback]44254[/snapback]
Well I can understand it. I have already paid for $1500 worth of upgrades and as things become available to bring them up to the standards of the other models, like Bluetooth, Sirius with Nav then I will pay for them also. Then you also have the new wood pieces, wood shifter and parking brake handle, wheels etc.. My $60k US car will wind up costing me $70k US.

Don't get me wrong, I was extremely pleased with my car when I purchased it and still am, I just like the new gadgets and options that I can get for the car.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:27 AM
Senior Members

I would not believe everything you read on BMW.com about what bluetooth can / cannot do.

I have spoken with more than one BMW tech who said BMW AG are currently involved in very angry debates with ALL of the major mobile phone manufacturers.

apparently when they spec BT into the cars BMW did so to a certain software level of BT. The phone companies agreed this but then in their ever increasing battle for market share started using a new version of BT standard using new features to try and distinguish their handsets from their rivals. Working in the IT industry this does not suprise me at all and is a very plausible excuse.

BMW now find customers coming through their doors with the latest BT handsets complaining that they dont work perfectly with the BT system in their cars.

I cannot believe i am saying this but I do have sympathy for BMW on this one, it seems like for a change they have been shafted (rather than us) and have been left carrying the can for the mobile phone companies.

I am sure this will all get resolved one day....this is open standards for you for now I think if you want BT to work perfectly then you stick with one manufacturer and purchase their specific aftermarket BT kit for your car.

just my 2 cents of course.