Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Blue-tooth issues - Got my car back from the BMW Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My BMW 545i 2004 (no NAV system) had originally a TCU unit with a BMW Assist. Dealer advised to reprogram the software since I have all the hardware in place.

After 3 hours of programing the dealer determined that the blue-tooth malfunctioned since the other party can not hear the voice from the car however, the other party was heard clearly while speaking. The dealer further explained that it is not the mic malfunction and suggested to change TCU unit and reprogram the software.
My dealer came through for me in a BIG way since my car was out of warranty. Namely he replaced the TCU unit for free and charged only the 3 hours for programing.

I still have to call the dealer to ask why:

1. I can not use Voice Commands i.e. Entertainment, Air, SMS Text etc.

2. Can not transfer permanently my Address Book to BMW memory (Address Book Loads temporarily while phone is paired)

3. Voice Command button on the center console not working when pressed

4. Does not recognize text to speech when saying Dial Name (from Address Book, only recognizes my saved 50 contacts that I have trained the system to recognize)

I would appreciate the members input and a possible solution to this problem.

Many thanks!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by BMW 545i' post='655464' date='Aug 27 2008, 10:47 AM
My BMW 545i 2004 (no NAV system) had originally a TCU unit with a BMW Assist. Dealer advised to reprogram the software since I have all the hardware in place.

After 3 hours of programing the dealer determined that the blue-tooth malfunctioned since the other party can not hear the voice from the car however, the other party was heard clearly while speaking. The dealer further explained that it is not the mic malfunction and suggested to change TCU unit and reprogram the software.
My dealer came through for me in a BIG way since my car was out of warranty. Namely he replaced the TCU unit for free and charged only the 3 hours for programing.

2. Can not transfer permanently my Address Book to BMW memory (Address Book Loads temporarily while phone is paired)

4. Does not recognize text to speech when saying Dial Name (from Address Book, only recognizes my saved 50 contacts that I have trained the system to recognize)

Many thanks!
Comments..

1) Extended Voice Commands only come on cars w/ Nav. Since you don't have Nav, Voice Commands will work with the Phone only.
2) The car does not have a hard drive of any sort and does not save the Address Book. It loads when paired but does not save it any where.
3) See #1...
4) Sounds like it's working correctly
Old 08-27-2008, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='655485' date='Aug 27 2008, 12:22 PM
Comments..

1) Extended Voice Commands only come on cars w/ Nav. Since you don't have Nav, Voice Commands will work with the Phone only.
2) The car does not have a hard drive of any sort and does not save the Address Book. It loads when paired but does not save it any where.
3) See #1...
agreed. working exactly as designed. you can store your own names, though...just hit the voice button and say "options". it will read them out to you. i think it's "add name" but not 100% sure right now. you can also say "dial number" to which it will reply "please speak the number" and you can answer "2125551212" and it will read it back to you and ask for confirmation before it dials.

-f
Old 08-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='655485' date='Aug 27 2008, 12:22 PM
Comments..

3) See #1...
kscarrol, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my concerns, it is all clear now.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by fvicente' post='655494' date='Aug 27 2008, 12:39 PM
agreed. working exactly as designed. you can store your own names, though...just hit the voice button and say "options". it will read them out to you. i think it's "add name" but not 100% sure right now. you can also say "dial number" to which it will reply "please speak the number" and you can answer "2125551212" and it will read it back to you and ask for confirmation before it dials.

-f
Felix, again thank you as well for a fast reply you guys have helped me out a lot!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Members

My Ride: Current Vehicle - 2004 BMW E60 530i - Steptronic – Titanium Silver - iDrive - PDC - Black Dakota Leather– Adaptive Xenon Headlights (auto leveling) – Telescopic Steering – Heated Steering Wheel – Rear Heated Seats – Logic 7

Originally Posted by BMW 545i' post='655464' date='Aug 27 2008, 08:47 AM

Many thanks!
Hi Guys,

My baby has been in the shop since last week ....... 2004 530i (no nav)

I am in the same position, the dealer advised all of the hardware is blue tooth enabled and all they would need to do is reprogram. after 1.5 hours of programming they can not find out why the person on the other end can not hear them. My SA advised the phone pairs, etc. however, no voice on the other end.
  1. Is the TCU the problem? how much does it cost to replace the TCU?
  2. Can there be some other problems?
  3. Given the dealer advised the correct hardware is in the car, now they are telling me I am on the hook even if they can not get the bluetooth working ..... is this right? How can I argue they I shouldnt be responsible for the damages?

thanks
Old 10-02-2008, 05:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

My bet is that it is the TCU. What is the build date of your car? If it is pre 03/04 then most definitely the problem lies with the TCU.

The symptoms you describe are identical to what my problems were in my E60 (March 01, 2004 build date) before I changed the TCU.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Members

My Ride: Current Vehicle - 2004 BMW E60 530i - Steptronic – Titanium Silver - iDrive - PDC - Black Dakota Leather– Adaptive Xenon Headlights (auto leveling) – Telescopic Steering – Heated Steering Wheel – Rear Heated Seats – Logic 7

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='683525' date='Oct 2 2008, 06:17 AM
My bet is that it is the TCU. What is the build date of your car? If it is pre 03/04 then most definitely the problem lies with the TCU.

The symptoms you describe are identical to what my problems were in my E60 (March 01, 2004 build date) before I changed the TCU.

Build date is 02/04

How much did it cost you to replace the TCU?
What other benefits would I realize by replacing the TCU?

thanks
Old 10-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

3-1/2 years ago, a TCU ran over $2000 plus programming labour. Today, you could pick up a TCU for $500 to $600 as a guess.

An updated TCU will permit use of BT phones only.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='683989' date='Oct 2 2008, 04:06 PM
3-1/2 years ago, a TCU ran over $2000 plus programming labour. Today, you could pick up a TCU for $500 to $600 as a guess.

An updated TCU will permit use of BT phones only.
You guess is pretty good, dealer finally called back after 36 hours to advise the TCU is not the right one and will need to be replaced ....

I honestly do not think I should be paying for this reprogramming as they advised all of the hardware is correct. will I be able to argue I should not have to pay for this service?
Has anyone else experienced this problem?

thanks

Quick Reply: Blue-tooth issues - Got my car back from the BMW Dealer