Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

BlackBerry 7100

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 04:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried the bluetooth in a new E60 with a Blackberry 7100?
Old 10-12-2005, 06:34 AM
jkh
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi w/ Premium, Sport and Cold Weather Pkgs Jet Black / Auburn Leather

I have a 2006 530xi and a Blackberry 7100t. With the 4.0.x firmware on the 7100t, all of the basic functions (pairing, make call, receive call, use standard voice commands) work as expected. However, the 7100 cannot send its phone book to the car for use through the iDrive system. Because many of its government and corporate customers are concerned about data security, Blackberry has elected not to activate the software code used for data transfer via Bluetooth.

Note that the extended voice commands available through the Navigation system (if you have it) will not work as they use the phone book transferred from the handset.

Also, you didn't indicate what model year E60 you are interested in. There are different versions of both the Bluetooth hardware and vehicle computer software, depending on when the car was manufactured. A number of threads on the forum discuss this issue in more depth.

Hope this helps...
Old 11-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by jkh' post='183238' date='Oct 12 2005, 10:34 AM
I have a 2006 530xi and a Blackberry 7100t. With the 4.0.x firmware on the 7100t, all of the basic functions (pairing, make call, receive call, use standard voice commands) work as expected. However, the 7100 cannot send its phone book to the car for use through the iDrive system. Because many of its government and corporate customers are concerned about data security, Blackberry has elected not to activate the software code used for data transfer via Bluetooth.

Note that the extended voice commands available through the Navigation system (if you have it) will not work as they use the phone book transferred from the handset.

Also, you didn't indicate what model year E60 you are interested in. There are different versions of both the Bluetooth hardware and vehicle computer software, depending on when the car was manufactured. A number of threads on the forum discuss this issue in more depth.

Hope this helps...
Thanks for the explaination for why my bb address book isn't known by the car. Rats. Oh well.

Does that explain why the active calls page shows "connecting" until I dial a call from the phone or receive a call? Is the car waiting for the address book from the phone and the "connecting" message indicates that it's waiting?

But I didn't understand the paragraph - "Note that the extended voice commands available through the Navigation system (if you have it) will not work as they use the phone book transferred from the handset." Could you please clarify what the extended voice commands are? Also, how does the Nav system relate to the phone book. Sorry, a littlel confused.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2005, 10:51 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5, silver gray/black/aluminum, all options except rear seat heating E30 M3, white/tan

Originally Posted by 4stngr' post='183192' date='Oct 12 2005, 04:10 AM
Yes, was able to pair up 7100g with E60 M5. Unfortunatelly, due to RIM/BlackBerry security 'features' there is no way to transfer the phone book.
Paragraph below is from the BB security document at: http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterp...827186&vernum=1

"* BlackBerry device users must type a passkey to complete initial
connections with any Bluetooth wireless technology enabled device, and
they must manually accept all subsequent connections. Only by setting
the paired device to the status of trusted on BlackBerry can users
bypass the manual acceptance step. This capability is not enabled by
default on the BlackBerry.
* BlackBerry device users cannot compose or send SMS messages remotely
using Bluetooth technology.
* BlackBerry device users cannot access the address book remotely using
Bluetooth technology.
* BlackBerry device users cannot initiate phone calls (other than a
basic redial) using Bluetooth technology.
"

The last two defeat the purpose of BT/Handsfree operation (no phone book and no voice activation).

Has anybody tried transferring Phone Book to the car via laptop?
Old 12-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by zeljko' post='202535
Yes, was able to pair up 7100g with E60 M5. Unfortunatelly, due to RIM/BlackBerry security 'features' there is no way to transfer the phone book.
Paragraph below is from the BB security document at: http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterp...827186&vernum=1

"* BlackBerry device users must type a passkey to complete initial
connections with any Bluetooth wireless technology enabled device, and
they must manually accept all subsequent connections. Only by setting
the paired device to the status of trusted on BlackBerry can users
bypass the manual acceptance step. This capability is not enabled by
default on the BlackBerry.
* BlackBerry device users cannot compose or send SMS messages remotely
using Bluetooth technology.
* BlackBerry device users cannot access the address book remotely using
Bluetooth technology.
* BlackBerry device users cannot initiate phone calls (other than a
basic redial) using Bluetooth technology.
"

The last two defeat the purpose of BT/Handsfree operation (no phone book and no voice activation).

Has anybody tried transferring Phone Book to the car via laptop?
[/quote]

I read the BT manual posted in the information section of the web site (page 17) and saw the following: "Voice Phone Book. You can create a voice phone book with up to 50 phone numbers and names. The names and phone numbers in the voice phone book are independent of the memory of your portable phone." Based on that I made the assumption that the voice dial phone book is onboard the car and would still work regardless of my having a Blackberry. Hopefully that sounds reasonable to all of you.

And here's what I learned from my dealer. The service advisor sez he checked with 5 others and they all said that the voice phone book does not work with the Blackberry. No reason given but I assume there is some dependency on the capabilities of the phone (or lack of in the case of my blackberry) even though the voice phone book is "independent of .... the portable phone". It certainly seems to be behaving that way. I need to find a buddy with a BT phone is see if I can get it to work.

Any comments?
Old 12-04-2005, 06:44 AM
Members

[/quote]

I read the BT manual posted in the information section of the web site (page 17) and saw the following: "Voice Phone Book. You can create a voice phone book with up to 50 phone numbers and names. The names and phone numbers in the voice phone book are independent of the memory of your portable phone." Based on that I made the assumption that the voice dial phone book is onboard the car and would still work regardless of my having a Blackberry. Hopefully that sounds reasonable to all of you.

And here's what I learned from my dealer. The service advisor sez he checked with 5 others and they all said that the voice phone book does not work with the Blackberry. No reason given but I assume there is some dependency on the capabilities of the phone (or lack of in the case of my blackberry) even though the voice phone book is "independent of .... the portable phone". It certainly seems to be behaving that way. I need to find a buddy with a BT phone is see if I can get it to work.

Any comments?
[/quote]

That function does not work with Bluetooth, it is only with BMW phones... you cannot create voice entries with any bluetooth phone. sorry... supposedly with the new 4.1 software coming out for BB, it may add BT profiles for BB. it is supposed to be out by the end of the year...
Old 12-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Contributors

Any comments?
[/quote]

That function does not work with Bluetooth, it is only with BMW phones... you cannot create voice entries with any bluetooth phone. sorry... supposedly with the new 4.1 software coming out for BB, it may add BT profiles for BB. it is supposed to be out by the end of the year...
[/quote]

Ah - ok. Thanks very much. I'll watch for the update later this year.

Cheers.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:40 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Imperialblue - HK Sound - Panorama Roof - High Executive

Check this out.....

Link to BB 8700 Review

People from US are reporting the new BlackBerry 8700 works perfectly with the Bluetooth System of the BMW.

Good sound quality. That's needed cause the BB 7290 sound quality is not that good.

I also read reports that BB OS 4.1 (not released yet) will be able to transfer the phonebook to the car.

Bye!
Old 12-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Members

I just got my 530xi last night and paired up 7100t with no problems.
For those who might not have done this yet/know about it - two things i was able to do:
- dial a number by dictating via the voice command.
- use BB phonebook to select and call a number (like you would normally call a number from your addressbook on BBerry) and as soon as the phone dials the number it transfers to the car

between these two methods I guess things aren't that bad...

but here's my queston: is there a way to manually enter phone numbers and names into the address-book and have the car store it (other than the TOP 8 list)?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i E60 Monaco Blue Premium Package Cold weather Package Navigation and CD/Sat prep December 2006

Originally Posted by ivid' post='214086' date='Dec 21 2005, 02:50 PM
I just got my 530xi last night and paired up 7100t with no problems.
For those who might not have done this yet/know about it - two things i was able to do:
- dial a number by dictating via the voice command.
- use BB phonebook to select and call a number (like you would normally call a number from your addressbook on BBerry) and as soon as the phone dials the number it transfers to the car

between these two methods I guess things aren't that bad...

but here's my queston: is there a way to manually enter phone numbers and names into the address-book and have the car store it (other than the TOP 8 list)?
I picked up my 525i last week and got my wifes E815 paired up perfectly after a few missed tries. However, I have a Nextel 7520 Blackberry which I have attempted to pair via the bluetooth. I have read the previous posts about making it pair automaticly which I will test today, but when I used the hands free, I got an ecco feedback from both the Blackberry mic and the car mic picking up my voice.

Anyone got any ideas on this one

BTW, what a fantastic site

Quick Reply: BlackBerry 7100