Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Alleged Lexus in-car computer attack via Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Possible virus attack of on-board computer via Bluetooth</span>
CNET report on possible attack

Initial reaction: As a professional in the mobile industry, this attack seems very unlikely at present, but (eventually) possible (especially for BMWs, since the iDrive software is based on Microsoft Windows CE, and there could be Operating System vulnerabilities in the on-board software that are shared/inherited from the common Windows software found in other consumer products). :'( In the past, most software for embedded systems was proprietary, narrowly-deployed, and therefore an unlikely target for an attack.

-----

Lexus a nexus between cars and phone viruses?
Published: January 26, 2005, 8:58 AM PST
By Dan Ilett
Special to CNET News.com

TrackBack Print E-mail TalkBack
Antivirus companies are researching reports that computer viruses have attacked the onboard computers of cars.

Moscow-based Kaspersky Labs was asked last weekend how to disinfect the onboard computers of several Lexus models: LX470, LS430 and Landcruiser 100. The security company was told that the infection likely occurred via a mobile phone.

Some mobile-phone viruses already exist, such as Cabir and Skulls, which spread by Bluetooth and infect handsets based on the Symbian operating system. Many Lexus cars include a navigation system that can connect to a mobile phone over Bluetooth to allow hands-free calls, and Kaspersky believes that Bluetooth could be used to transmit a virus to a car's GPS navigation system.

However, it is unclear which operating system Lexus uses for its navigation system. The company did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

"We know that car manufacturers are integrating existing operating systems into their onboard computers--take the Fiat and Microsoft deal, for instance," said Eugene Kaspersky, head of antivirus research at Kaspersky Labs. "If infected mobile devices are scary, just think about an infected onboard computer."

David Emm, senior technology consultant at Kaspersky, said it was plausible that mobile phones could infect cars.

"It's certainly a possibility, but at this stage, it seems theoretical," Emm said. "The question is whether (onboard computers) have been subjected to attacks from (devices running the) Symbian operating system. I suspect that this will be done with a handset."

Kaspersky is still researching the reports.

Until two-way wireless transmissions were banned in races, Formula 1 racing cars were equipped with antivirus software to prevent virus attacks on the car's operating system.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:36 PM

A virus in the car would be horrible, and could be really dangerous. Bur the 5er together with 1er, 3er and the 6er based on Java. It's only the 7er that's based on Windows CE.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:38 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Feb 9 2005, 09:36 AM
A virus in the car would be horrible, and could be really dangerous. But the 5er together with 1er, 3er and the 6er based on Java. It's only the 7er that's based on Windows CE.
[snapback]88108[/snapback]
^^^
That was me!
Old 02-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Java is the most crash-prone program language I've ever seen.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Feb 9 2005, 09:36 AM
A virus in the car would be horrible, and could be really dangerous. Bur the 5er together with 1er, 3er and the 6er based on Java. It's only the 7er that's based on Windows CE.
[snapback]88108[/snapback]
It's a Java engine running on a MS Windows CE platform...