Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

adding bluetooth to 2004 545i w/ NAV

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='498492' date='Nov 24 2007, 12:23 PM
For sure you should pursue the factory BT setup -- once it works, it works very well. You may find that some BT phones work better than others but that's a whole different conversation...

Get all your data collected first (BMW NA, show dealer service bulletin, etc.) and go into the service appointment with some sort of agreed upon price (if any) and have a clear plan as to what's going to happen if the BT upgrade fails.

Good luck!
Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I have a Razer v3m. How do I tell if that is a good one? I can always swap the phone if needed.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:09 AM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

Chriscpm,

Here is the bulletin for the ipod upgrade in older model e60's.

Ipod_Most_Bus.pdf

Good luck on your upgrades
Old 11-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MDT' post='498523' date='Nov 24 2007, 02:09 PM
Chriscpm,

Here is the bulletin for the ipod upgrade in older model e60's.

Attachment 41006

Good luck on your upgrades
Wow, this is just what I need. This looks like a pretty decent interface too! I wonder why they told me the exact wrong information? Supposedly things are slow, so you'd figure they would want to install extras.

Thanks for all the help everyone. This car is going to be even better now!
Old 11-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by chriscpm' post='498532' date='Nov 24 2007, 01:45 PM
Wow, this is just what I need. This looks like a pretty decent interface too! I wonder why they told me the exact wrong information? Supposedly things are slow, so you'd figure they would want to install extras.

Thanks for all the help everyone. This car is going to be even better now!
You will find many service reps don't keep up with the constant changes in these cars. I am away from my office right now but as I recall the iPod install was around $500 (US) for me. That includes parts, labor (including software update) and tax. My update seemed a full upgrade, which may enable the BT as well, but my 545 is older so I can't confirm this.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='498533' date='Nov 24 2007, 03:02 PM
You will find many service reps don't keep up with the constant changes in these cars. I am away from my office right now but as I recall the iPod install was around $500 (US) for me. That includes parts, labor (including software update) and tax. My update seemed a full upgrade, which may enable the BT as well, but my 545 is older so I can't confirm this.
Thanks. I'll get this stuff done soon.

I still don't get why the dealer wouldn't know this stuff. They nearly lost this sale because if it. This particular dealer is a CPO dealer only, although they have a commonly owned new dealership 25 miles away. They wonder why cars sit around, but then they have all the old bells and whistles. Go figure.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm pretty sure that the RAZR V3 phones all work very well with the car. As a matter of fact, I think they're on BMW's approved list of phones so you won't be hearing the dealer blaming things on the phone if/when they don't work...
Old 11-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='498476' date='Nov 24 2007, 11:48 AM
I do want to warn you though -- it sounds like your dealer is one of the many who are clueless about this stuff. If they are, they might mess up something during the BT retrofit procedure. If they do that, BT may not work and they'll simply blame the car's build date, etc. since that's the easy way to bail out of things. (Again, the more clueless dealers tend to just bail out of things they can't figure out or they misinterpret bulletins, etc. to try to sell you on their (incorrect) postition.

If they end up not getting BT to work, and they don't try to bail out, they may try to charge you labor, etc. to make it work during another service appointment.
I finally received a call back from the dealer who "looked into this", meaning read the documents that Rudy posted. Clueless is the right word. He says progman is teh software of their equipment, not the car. Oops. I just let it go. I'm somewhat worried they will mess up my car. However, he says he did it on another car with a different build date, so this isn't the first. He said the iPod adapter will require reprogramming everything, which is good. I'm set for next week, so we'll see how it goes. He said to plan on leaving it overnight, so it does sound like they plan to to the whole S/W update deal. Thanks for all the expert help on this one!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by chriscpm' post='499636' date='Nov 27 2007, 02:52 PM
I finally received a call back from the dealer who "looked into this", meaning read the documents that Rudy posted. Clueless is the right word. He says progman is teh software of their equipment, not the car. Oops. I just let it go. I'm somewhat worried they will mess up my car. However, he says he did it on another car with a different build date, so this isn't the first. He said the iPod adapter will require reprogramming everything, which is good. I'm set for next week, so we'll see how it goes. He said to plan on leaving it overnight, so it does sound like they plan to to the whole S/W update deal. Thanks for all the expert help on this one!
I got my car back today. Everything works great. The misc complaint about the iDrive were enough to get the bluetooth done at no extra charge. Very nice! This car now rocks.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:52 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 545 SE Auto, very good spec including heated steering wheel

Originally Posted by chriscpm' post='498556' date='Nov 24 2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks. I'll get this stuff done soon.

I still don't get why the dealer wouldn't know this stuff. They nearly lost this sale because if it. This particular dealer is a CPO dealer only, although they have a commonly owned new dealership 25 miles away. They wonder why cars sit around, but then they have all the old bells and whistles. Go figure.
Hi
Please let me know how you get on with the ipod fitting. I am lost without mine.
Regards,
Jonathan
Old 12-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by jml3p' post='504320' date='Dec 8 2007, 07:52 AM
Hi
Please let me know how you get on with the ipod fitting. I am lost without mine.
Regards,
Jonathan
What seems to be the issue with getting your iPod installed? It can be done to just about any E60. My January 2004 build was done six months ago, no issues.

Quick Reply: adding bluetooth to 2004 545i w/ NAV