5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum (https://5series.net/forums/bluetooth-cell-phone-forum-26/)
-   -   adding bluetooth to 2004 545i w/ NAV (https://5series.net/forums/bluetooth-cell-phone-forum-26/adding-bluetooth-2004-545i-w-nav-47450/)

chriscpm 11-21-2007 05:28 AM

I'm picking up a 545i today. It has almost every option. The dealer tells me that it was built too early to allow the computer to be reprogrammed to have bluetooth (or iPod) support. I was thinking of adding some sort of aftermarket hands free solution, like maybe the Motorola IHF1000. This will play back through the car speakers and provide a mute to the stereo when a call comes in. Has anyone tried something like this and had success? Is there another solution to getting the new electronics in an older car?

If there is a better place to post this, please let me know.

ademitt 11-22-2007 11:05 AM

You may want to confirm the build date as dealers have been known to give out incorrect information before.

If the 545 is built prior to Mar 2004, you are out of luck and need to get new hardware, either replace the TCU or go the BTUM route. There are loads of posts regarding this and a quick search should turn the information you require up.

If it has a build date of 03/04 or newer, a software activation is all that will likely be required.

kscarrol 11-23-2007 11:25 AM

Ademitt is right on the cell phone issue, but your dealer is plain wrong about the iPod install. I have a Jan '04 build 545 and have had the iPod installed with no issues. You will lose the 6-disc CD changer in the process but a more than fair trade in my mind.

chriscpm 11-24-2007 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='497849' date='Nov 22 2007, 03:05 PM
You may want to confirm the build date as dealers have been known to give out incorrect information before.

If the 545 is built prior to Mar 2004, you are out of luck and need to get new hardware, either replace the TCU or go the BTUM route. There are loads of posts regarding this and a quick search should turn the information you require up.

If it has a build date of 03/04 or newer, a software activation is all that will likely be required.

It says 05/04in the door jam.

So if I read this post and the other correctly, I can swap the CD changer for the iPod interface for sure. Then I need a software update for the bluetooth phone. Doesn't the car need a bluetooth antenna as well?

For the iPod interface operation, is this the setup where 6 playlists operate as CD1-CD6?

chriscpm 11-24-2007 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='498224' date='Nov 23 2007, 03:25 PM
Ademitt is right on the cell phone issue, but your dealer is plain wrong about the iPod install. I have a Jan '04 build 545 and have had the iPod installed with no issues. You will lose the 6-disc CD changer in the process but a more than fair trade in my mind.

Just double checking here, but the NAV doesn't change this ability to add the iPod adapter or the bluetooth to a 05/04 build car?

Rudy 11-24-2007 06:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A 5/04 build car can have BT enabled with only software unless somehow the TCU was changed from the original to one of the older versions -- are you the original owner? Since that scenario is unlikely, here's a copy of the BT retrofit information bulletin in case you haven't seen it yet:

Attachment 40995

chriscpm 11-24-2007 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='498441' date='Nov 24 2007, 10:20 AM
A 5/04 build car can have BT enabled with only software unless somehow the TCU was changed from the original to one of the older versions -- are you the original owner? Since that scenario is unlikely, here's a copy of the BT retrofit information bulletin in case you haven't seen it yet:

Attachment 40995

Thanks. I was just checking that out. I think they may have just glanced at page 1 and said it was a no go.

Do you know the price of the software upgrade should be? I just picked this up as a CPO. I was assured it had all the recent software under the CPO, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

This news makes me very happy. Many thanks.

Does anyone have a document that shows that the iPod interface will work too? If I can show these guys the docs, I should be able to get the upgrades done.

Rudy 11-24-2007 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by chriscpm' post='498456' date='Nov 24 2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks. I was just checking that out. I think they may have just glanced at page 1 and said it was a no go.

Do you know the price of the software upgrade should be? I just picked this up as a CPO. I was assured it had all the recent software under the CPO, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

This news makes me very happy. Many thanks.

Does anyone have a document that shows that the iPod interface will work too? If I can show these guys the docs, I should be able to get the upgrades done.

I'm not very up to date on the iPod retrofit for older cars but I'm pretty sure others will be able to help you out with this...

As far as the Bluetooth issue, you might want to read this post to see if you can find a defect (software bug) that your car has. Once you identify a bug, complain about it to the dealer and you'll likely qualify for a free software update. While they're updating the software, ask them to perform the BT retrofit procedure -- usually, they'll do this minor step at no charge since it's just a matter of ticking a few more boxes, etc. during the software upgrade they're already performing.

I do want to warn you though -- it sounds like your dealer is one of the many who are clueless about this stuff. If they are, they might mess up something during the BT retrofit procedure. If they do that, BT may not work and they'll simply blame the car's build date, etc. since that's the easy way to bail out of things. (Again, the more clueless dealers tend to just bail out of things they can't figure out or they misinterpret bulletins, etc. to try to sell you on their (incorrect) postition.

If they end up not getting BT to work, and they don't try to bail out, they may try to charge you labor, etc. to make it work during another service appointment.

If going to a different dealer isn't an option, you may want to call BMW NA, give them your VIN number, and ask them if BT can be retrofitted to your car with only software. If they agree, you can use that information to sort of prove to the dealer that it can be done (before they have a chance to tell you it can't.)

Also, a couple quick questions, does your car have the older, hard-wired phone cradle (from the CPT-9000) phone? What happens when you select "Communications" from the main iDrive menu?

chriscpm 11-24-2007 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='498476' date='Nov 24 2007, 11:48 AM
I'm not very up to date on the iPod retrofit for older cars but I'm pretty sure others will be able to help you out with this...

As far as the Bluetooth issue, you might want to read this post to see if you can find a defect (software bug) that your car has. Once you identify a bug, complain about it to the dealer and you'll likely qualify for a free software update. While they're updating the software, ask them to perform the BT retrofit procedure -- usually, they'll do this minor step at no charge since it's just a matter of ticking a few more boxes, etc. during the software upgrade they're already performing.

I do want to warn you though -- it sounds like your dealer is one of the many who are clueless about this stuff. If they are, they might mess up something during the BT retrofit procedure. If they do that, BT may not work and they'll simply blame the car's build date, etc. since that's the easy way to bail out of things. (Again, the more clueless dealers tend to just bail out of things they can't figure out or they misinterpret bulletins, etc. to try to sell you on their (incorrect) postition.

If they end up not getting BT to work, and they don't try to bail out, they may try to charge you labor, etc. to make it work during another service appointment.

If going to a different dealer isn't an option, you may want to call BMW NA, give them your VIN number, and ask them if BT can be retrofitted to your car with only software. If they agree, you can use that information to sort of prove to the dealer that it can be done (before they have a chance to tell you it can't.)

Also, a couple quick questions, does your car have the older, hard-wired phone cradle (from the CPT-9000) phone? What happens when you select "Communications" from the main iDrive menu?

I don't have the cradle. When I select communication, the screen says please wait, then say contact BMW.

The dealer seems to be clueless on this stuff for sure. There are 2-3 other dealers that are fairly close. I could try them, bu tit seems sort of crass to buy a car at one, then immediately go to another for something like this. On the other hand, I bough two cars in the past from the other dealer, and have used this dealer for service because they are closer.

I think I?ll try calling BMW USA like you suggested. I?d almost prefer to agree to pay a couple of hours of labor, but then stipulate the bill isn?t due if the phone doesn?t work. My aftermarket solution is $250. It plays back through the radio, mutes the radio for incoming calls, but had another little knob that needs mounting, probably near the iDrive knob. I?d rather have the factory setup if it can be done.

Rudy 11-24-2007 08:23 AM

For sure you should pursue the factory BT setup -- once it works, it works very well. You may find that some BT phones work better than others but that's a whole different conversation...

Get all your data collected first (BMW NA, show dealer service bulletin, etc.) and go into the service appointment with some sort of agreed upon price (if any) and have a clear plan as to what's going to happen if the BT upgrade fails.

Good luck!