Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

3G iPhone not working with E60!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought I'd share this with you guys.

Just picked up the new 3G iPhone and tried to connect it to my 2007 E60 with iPod integration and to my surprise it didn't work with a message on the screen stating that this device isn't supported. As a result the 3G iPhone doesn't pop up in the iDrive or charge when connected!

I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this but it seems to be a hardware related issue.

Anyone else get it working?
Old 07-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530d

No, on my 2004 530d I can pair it but then connects, then disconnects then connects then disconnects etc.....

Works perfectly on our 2007 120d
Old 07-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Leong' post='622555' date='Jul 13 2008, 03:21 AM
No, on my 2004 530d I can pair it but then connects, then disconnects then connects then disconnects etc.....

The bluetooth connection works fine on my end. The phone pairs with the car but doesn't work with the actual ipod connector in the glove box so I can't access the music through idrive or charge the device.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530d

Originally Posted by nwilliams' post='622852' date='Jul 14 2008, 09:12 AM
The bluetooth connection works fine on my end. The phone pairs with the car but doesn't work with the actual ipod connector in the glove box so I can't access the music through idrive or charge the device.
Oops my bad! Thanks for that, Sounds like a software upgrade might do the trick for me, thats if I dare let them do that again. Yes, the Iphone 3G does get thru a charge quite quickly esp when using GPS! Good luck!
Old 07-14-2008, 01:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 525iSE 2004 AUTO 18'' star 124 alloys bluetooth with iphone cradle orient Blue Gray leather multi CD

Originally Posted by Leong' post='622555' date='Jul 13 2008, 08:21 AM

Hi Ive a 2004 54 plate (UK) car and my 3G does exactly the same, pairs disconnects etc, my original Iphone was fine i have software version 31 (i think) about 2 months old so if anybody can help!!

Cheers
Old 07-14-2008, 02:37 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 2005 535d Sport & Audi Q7 S-Line Vis Pack, Media Pack, Heated fronts and Rears, HUD, Servo Steering,

Originally Posted by hatton955' post='623267' date='Jul 14 2008, 10:02 AM
Hi Ive a 2004 54 plate (UK) car and my 3G does exactly the same, pairs disconnects etc, my original Iphone was fine i have software version 31 (i think) about 2 months old so if anybody can help!!

Cheers
From reading here and iPhone forums and Apple forums it would seem to be down to either Car Software version or perhaps car hardware version if this indeed actually changes for the bluetooth through the years.

My car is on an oldish software so with 1.1.4 would connect and sync addresses fine but I needed to re-pair it every time I got on the car but with version 2.0 ( on the original 2G iPhone ) it simply connects and disconnects with no phone book sync.

As you have oldish hardware but new software and I've read people with 07/08 models having little or no problems perhaps there is a newer bluetooth hardware module like the E39's used to have ?

I'm planning on getting my car taken in for software update shortly so will report back if the latest update sorts the 2.0 software on the 2G iphone working or not

Si
Old 07-14-2008, 02:51 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 2005 535d Sport & Audi Q7 S-Line Vis Pack, Media Pack, Heated fronts and Rears, HUD, Servo Steering,

OK,

REALOEM Shows updates

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...;fg=20&hl=3

So given that I guess my 2005 has the earliest one but the newer cars have a later TCU perhaps this could be part of the problem

Si
Old 07-14-2008, 04:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by nwilliams' post='622286' date='Jul 12 2008, 09:03 PM
Just thought I'd share this with you guys.

Just picked up the new 3G iPhone and tried to connect it to my 2007 E60 with iPod integration and to my surprise it didn't work with a message on the screen stating that this device isn't supported. As a result the 3G iPhone doesn't pop up in the iDrive or charge when connected!

I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this but it seems to be a hardware related issue.

Anyone else get it working?
I have the same problem.

I wonder who's going to give the update, BMW or Ipod?

Anyone have any links to forums with people working on this issue?
Old 07-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Senior Members

It would seem the new 3g iPhone now requires 5 volts of power which is equivalent to the USB protocol (USB delivers 5 volts of power through it's connection). The previous iPhone on the other hand worked with 12 or 18 volts which is the power delivered through the FireWire protocol. As a result any connection that delivered 18 volts of power will no longer power the new 3g iPhone. Accessories such as power adapters and speaker docks etc are all affected. I'm guessing the BMW iPod integration kit with docking cable in the glove box is delivering the incompatible 18 volts of power.

The Bluetooth sync issue is there as well as I realized today that I don't get phone book sync anymore. I don't know if BMW will offer an update to address these issues and if they do whether the dealership will be willing to update the vehicle free of charge simply because of a phone sync issue.

I'll enquire with my SA sometime this week and see what he says.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 550i JetBlack/Black Dakota Leather Sport|Step|Nav|Logic 7|AdaptiveXenon|Cold Weather|PDC|M5 Mirrors|Dinan Exhaust|Dinan HiFlow Air Filter|Dinan EuroSpec Springs|HR Rear Spacers

Originally Posted by nwilliams' post='624251' date='Jul 15 2008, 12:28 AM
It would seem the new 3g iPhone now requires 5 volts of power which is equivalent to the USB protocol (USB delivers 5 volts of power through it's connection). The previous iPhone on the other hand worked with 12 or 18 volts which is the power delivered through the FireWire protocol. As a result any connection that delivered 18 volts of power will no longer power the new 3g iPhone. Accessories such as power adapters and speaker docks etc are all affected. I'm guessing the BMW iPod integration kit with docking cable in the glove box is delivering the incompatible 18 volts of power.

The Bluetooth sync issue is there as well as I realized today that I don't get phone book sync anymore. I don't know if BMW will offer an update to address these issues and if they do whether the dealership will be willing to update the vehicle free of charge simply because of a phone sync issue.

I'll enquire with my SA sometime this week and see what he says.
let me know what he says.
i am having similar issues.

no power adapter, and i noticed the echo for the first time yesterday. this did not happen with my cheap BT samsung phone.
who can we report this annoying issue to, as the parts guy at sterling was unaware of this issue!
we need that adapter asap!

but, i was able to sync contacts flawlessly. i even used the new "cloud techology" via your .me account.

best,
barl0

Quick Reply: 3G iPhone not working with E60!