Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

04 545 Bluetooth Available?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007 | 03:43 PM
Members

I have been wading through a ton of great posts on this topic and need some help piecing the final verdict together. Here goes, I have a 2004 545i, production date 7/04 with the most recent TCU. I don't have a phone cradle in my armrest. I do have BMW assist, but no mention of Bluetooth in any of my iDrive menu's. I have a button on my steering wheel with a phone picture on it. So here's the question. What is the next step for me to enable BT in my 545? What do I need to prepare for in discussing this with my service dealer? Many Thanks!
Old 10-29-2007 | 06:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

You will need a software update if your software is too old otherwise all you should need is to have BT enabled. One to two hours labor at the most for the enabling which will be at your cost. If you need to update the software, that will be at your cost unless you can come up with a reason to have it done under warranty.
Old 10-29-2007 | 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm betting that in one of the many posts you read on the subject the BT technical service bulletin was attached. In case you didn't see it, I've attached it again to this post here: BT_TSB_6_2005.pdf
This bulletin has been the source of confusion for many readers, both here and at various dealerships across the country.

The bottom line, as it applies to your car, is that you need to have CIP version 13.2 or higher and the "retrofit" of "tel bluetooth" procedure needs to be performed. (Exactly what ademitt was describing above...)

Take a look at the following quote from the bulletin:
Originally Posted by BMW SI B84 13 04 from 6/2005
4. For E60/63/64 vehicles produced from 3/04 to 8/04, Bluetooth? functionality can be added to most of these
vehicles by updating the vehicle software using CIP 13.2 or higher. After this is performed "Retrofit" of "Tel
Bluetooth" needs to be performed. Follow the procedure as described in this Service Information for "Activating
Bluetooth" and "Pairing the Handset". Vehicles prior to 3/04 would need to have the TCU replaced with the 2005
MY TCU at the customer's expense and the vehicle updated to CIP 13.2 or higher. Phone docking cradles may
not be added to these vehicles because of wiring incompatibility. Note: This software update and retrofit is
not covered under warranty and is at the customer's expense.
What part of PA are you in?
Old 10-29-2007 | 07:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i silver/grey 1994 BMW 325i Convertible, white/tan

Greetings from Tempe, AZ
(new member)

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I wanted to thank everyone for their time and assistance for answering these Bluetooth and BMW Assist questions. If it wasn't for all the great advise and know, how I would still be lost on how to get my 2004 525i BMW Assist and Bluetooth activated.

I plan on taking my car in by the end of November, but I'll be sure to go prepared with the technical brief provided in this post.

Again, thank you all for your time and assistance.

Sincerely,

Kyle Walker
Old 10-29-2007 | 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome Kyle -- spend some time reading through the zillion or so posts on these boards and maybe when you take your car in at the end of November, you'll be able to teach them a few more things!
Old 10-29-2007 | 07:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='487621' date='Oct 29 2007, 10:14 PM
I'm betting that in one of the many posts you read on the subject the BT technical service bulletin was attached. In case you didn't see it, I've attached it again to this post here: Attachment 39590
This bulletin has been the source of confusion for many readers, both here and at various dealerships across the country.

The bottom line, as it applies to your car, is that you need to have CIP version 13.2 or higher and the "retrofit" of "tel bluetooth" procedure needs to be performed. (Exactly what ademitt was describing above...)

Take a look at the following quote from the bulletin:

What part of PA are you in?
Thanks all! It looks like the open question now is the CIP version I have. How can I confirm this? Thanks for all the input. I appreciate all the patience. It is frustrating (as I have sensed by many posts) that how many different "fixes" and prices to fix there are for this issue. Is there no BMW NA position on this issue? Meaning Production Date/TCU model/CIP version=this is the price your dealer will charge you? Sorry for the sarcasm......just frustrated that the finest motorcar in the world (my opnion) has this much slack in how to overcome a technical issue. PS-I am located in Hanover PA.
Old 10-29-2007 | 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

You can't check the CIP version by yourself but it's quite possible that you have a newer version but just never had the BT retrofit procedure performed...
Old 10-30-2007 | 04:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by keltic' post='487647' date='Oct 29 2007, 11:11 PM
Greetings from Tempe, AZ
(new member)

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I wanted to thank everyone for their time and assistance for answering these Bluetooth and BMW Assist questions. If it wasn't for all the great advise and know, how I would still be lost on how to get my 2004 525i BMW Assist and Bluetooth activated.

I plan on taking my car in by the end of November, but I'll be sure to go prepared with the technical brief provided in this post.

Again, thank you all for your time and assistance.

Sincerely,

Kyle Walker

Hi Kyle. Good to hear you are on your way with the BT. I am a few steps behind but I agree the advice is great. By the way, what production year/mo is your 545?
Old 11-03-2007 | 07:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545, MT, Black Sapphire, Auburn, Cold Weather, NAV, Bluetooth, mp3

Do you currently have mp3 enabled? If you don't there is a service bulletin to update the software to activate mp3 which is covered under warranty. Of course since it's a complete software update it updates everything else including bluetooth and new colors, fonts, etc. They tried to charge me to activate the bluetooth, i said no thanks thinking it would get updated as well. Sure enough it was in there at no charge. Do a search for the mp3 bulletin and email to your service advisor. They initially told me it couldn't be done on a 2004 with a 4/04 prod date. You should have no problem with a 7/04 prod date.