7 Series Discussion A place for 7 series owners and those curious.

Hydrogen 7er Report

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 05:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord Monkey' post='452113' date='Jul 26 2007, 05:47 AM
Just a theory could you drink the water that comes out the back, or does it have anything else mixed into it? Could be the first on board drinks dispenser...!
Not sure but BMW is handing out bottles labeled ,,Exhaust`` (not really from the exhaust pipe) as a marketing tie-in.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i..... ex

Originally Posted by lennynchris' post='452066' date='Jul 26 2007, 12:17 AM
Do you know if this 7er passed through northern CA (the bay area) about a month or two ago? I saw two being offloaded from a trailer in Redwood City - a very strange place to do this as there are no dealers close by...

I just got back from a special BMW training over in Alameda, the hydrogen7 was there on display only and that's about it.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Nice... thanks for the pics... anymore?

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='452151' date='Jul 26 2007, 06:42 AM
Not sure but BMW is handing out bottles labeled ,,Exhaust`` (not really from the exhaust pipe) as a marketing tie-in.

Oh ya... I got a few of those... but too bad... I would have much rather get to drive the H7 than get a few free bottles of exhaust...
Old 08-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

How many HP has the engine, 260 ?
Was it the V12 of 760i, right ?

Thank you!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I wonder if cobradav had any access to the fleet?

Hydrogen 7er Report-p0039903.jpg

BMW AND NASA CONCLUDE TEST PERIOD OF BMW HYDROGEN 7
08/08/2007

Eight-Week-Long Test Underscores Companies' Mutual Support of Hydrogen Technologies
Cape Canaveral, FL - August 8, 2007... As NASA engineers prepare to launch the Space Shuttle Endeavour today, BMW of North America and NASA announced the successful completion of an eight-week test period of the BMW Hydrogen 7 - the first-ever hydrogen-powered luxury sedan.

The test period, which was initiated under a Space Act Agreement between NASA and BMW, underscores the organizations' shared commitment to advancing hydrogen technologies and to exploring innovative transportation concepts and alternative energy sources.

"We are very proud to have been able to offer this test period of the BMW Hydrogen 7 to NASA, an organization that truly is on the forefront of discovery and innovation and with whom we share a unique common goal: the use and ongoing research of liquid hydrogen solutions," said Karl-Heinz Ziwica, Vice President of Engineering, BMW of North America.
"It is the high energy density of liquid hydrogen that allows the space shuttle to be accelerated into space. The same concept is used to power the BMW Hydrogen 7. Using hydrogen as a fuel can potentially reduce CO2 emissions by 90 percent. The BMW Hydrogen 7 is tangible proof that hydrogen-drive vehicles are a very viable option for the future of sustainable mobility, and we're pleased that NASA was able to experience it first-hand."

During the test period, NASA personnel had full access to the fleet of BMW Hydrogen 7s, which run on a form of liquid hydrogen similar to what NASA uses in its shuttles. During their time with NASA, the vehicles - which feature a dual combustion engine capable of running on liquid hydrogen or gasoline and shifting seamlessly between the two - were conveniently refueled using the space center's liquid hydrogen fueling supply located on the space center's premises.

The BMW Hydrogen 7
Last year, BMW underscored its commitment to hydrogen-drive technologies with the debut of the BMW Hydrogen 7 - the world's first hydrogen-drive luxury performance automobile - to help stimulate demand for a viable hydrogen infrastructure in the long term. The car comes equipped with an internal combustion engine capable of running on either liquid hydrogen or gasoline and is based on the BMW 760Li. The V12 cylinder engine delivers 260 hp; the top speed of the Hydrogen 7 is 143 mph and acceleration 0-60 mph is 9.2 sec. When driving in hydrogen mode, emissions of the BMW Hydrogen 7 are virtually nothing but water vapor. Since the start of research and development in alternative fuel sources more than 25 years ago, BMW has focused on liquid hydrogen as the appropriate source of energy for the automobile. The car features a high-tech vacuum super-insulated hydrogen tank in which liquid hydrogen can be stored at the extremely low temperature of -423 ? Fahrenheit (-253 ?Celsius) for a long period of time - the same insulating effect as a 17-meter-thick layer of Styrofoam. One hundred BMW Hydrogen 7s have been built, and 25 are used in test programs in the US. The cars have already covered more than 1.3 million miles in test programs around the globe.

BMW Group In America
BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand of motor vehicles, including motorcycles, the MINI brand, and the Rolls-Royce brand of Motor Cars; DesignworksUSA, an industrial design firm in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is part of BMW Group's global manufacturing network and is the exclusive manufacturing plant for all Z4 models and X5 Sports Activity Vehicles. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 338 BMW passenger car centers, 335 BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 142 BMW motorcycle retailers, 81 MINI passenger car dealers, and 30 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group's sales headquarters for North, Central and South America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.

Information about BMW Group products is available to consumers via the Internet at:

www.bmwgroupna.com
www.bmwusa.com
www.bmwmotorcycles.com
www.miniusa.com
www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com
# # #
Old 08-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

As I started reading through the thread I thought I would post the KSC News bulletin, but as always RUDY is right up on things.

I was so tied up trying to get Phoenix on its' way to Mars I hardly got out and about.

Bill Johnson
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468
William.R.Johnson@nasa.gov

RELEASE: 46-07

NASA INVITES MEDIA TO VIEW BMW HYDROGEN 7 VEHICLE AT KSC

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Media will have the opportunity to view a BMW Hydrogen 7 vehicle at Kennedy Space Center's Press Site from 1 to 3 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 8. A representative from the manufacturer, BMW of North America, and H.T. Everett, NASA fluids manager for propellants and life support, will be available for interviews.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Speechless
Old 01-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Contributors

I had a chance to drive the Hydrogen 7 yesterday, briefly. As Jonathan noted - it drives just like a regular 7 series.

Well, almost. The power is a bit lacking, and while BMW claims 0-60 can be reached in something like 9 seconds - it doesn't feel anywhere near that slow. In fact, once you get the hydrogen roaring, it's got plenty of ooomph. But the ramp-up to that power takes a while ... like a slowly responding throttle, as if Mother Gia is processing your request to use some of her hydrogen before releasing it to you. But that V-12 is smoooooooooth.

I didn't run it on gasoline, but I'm told you cannot tell the difference between H2 and gas. It's an amazing engineering feat to run this car on either fuel ... on demand ... on the fly. Very nice job BMW.

The start-up is interesting, too, as the engine turns-over forever before firing up. I was told that it purges all the oxygen from the lines before starting. OK.

And then there are the stares, glances, and wide-eyed looks ... this thing makes everyone look at it. Cool.

We live in an amazing automotive era, one with probably more innovation and experimentation going on than at any time in the last 100 years. The Hydrogen 7 is just one example (very cool example), and it is interesting to participate first-hand.
Attached Thumbnails Hydrogen 7er Report-h2a.jpg   Hydrogen 7er Report-h2c.jpg   Hydrogen 7er Report-h2b.jpg  
Old 01-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.