6 Series Discussion A place for 6 series coupe, convertible, M6 owners and those curious.

M6 or R8

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Marco.it' post='446249' date='Jul 11 2007, 10:42 AM
Test driven both. No doubt I would go for the M6 not because it is BMW but because the R8 is too small, two seats only, very little boot, slower, noisier, less torque, less technology, and it is an Audi. :thumbsdown:
Slower, less technology,

I am not to sure about that. Around a track, I would put my money on the R8, no question. Straight line performance is close, 0-60 times are very very close.

As far as technology, I believe the R8 has a lot more trick gadgets. M6 is basically just a coupe with a V10 stuffed in it.

Great R8 video
Old 07-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

R8 hands down. Looks gorgeous and honestly I dont think its that flashy. It seems like a good daily driver too
Old 07-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Cars:2011 - BMW F11 535i, Alpine White, Msport version2009 - MINI COOPER, Mellow Yellow2007 - BMW E61 LCI 530i, Space Gray, Msport version - SOLD2006 - MINI COOPER, Park Lane Version - SOLD2005 - BMW E61 525i, Titan Silver, Msport version - SOLD2003
Model Year: 2012

R8, if I am not completely wrong, does not have all the various suspensions set ups, does not have the setups regarding gears shift speed, does not have the HUD, does not have the I-drive as BMW. Top speed is 301 KM/h while M6 with Mpackage has 310 km/h. 0 to 100 are there, 4,6" for both.
However if you want a car for daily use go with the M6 if you want a real GT go for an F430 instead. Audi are normally doing good cruisers but sport cars are somewhere else. IMO it is the same story as with VW Phaeton, do not try to invade others fields do what you know better.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ///Marco.it' post='446348' date='Jul 11 2007, 02:12 PM
R8, if I am not completely wrong, does not have all the various suspensions set ups, does not have the setups regarding gears shift speed, does not have the HUD, does not have the I-drive as BMW. Top speed is 301 KM/h while M6 with Mpackage has 310 km/h. 0 to 100 are there, 4,6" for both.
However if you want a car for daily use go with the M6 if you want a real GT go for an F430 instead. Audi are normally doing good cruisers but sport cars are somewhere else. IMO it is the same story as with VW Phaeton, do not try to invade others fields do what you know better.
I believe you may be misinformed. Check out this R8 video, he mentions the R8 magnetic damper system, very impressive.

R8 tech

Suspension
Audi magnetic ride adaptive damper system is chosen as an alternative to the standard gas-filled shock absorbers. The reason for this is that these shock absorbers employ an innovative technology. Instead of the conventional damper fluid, a magnetorheological fluid is used - in other words, a fluid whose viscosity can be influenced by an electromagnetic field. This effect enables the damping characteristic to be influenced electronically at will and instantaneously, by applying a voltage to the electromagnets. A computer equipped with sensor technology determines the prevailing driving situation in a matter of milliseconds. Drivers can choose from two driving programs depending on whether they want to drive in a highly sporty style - with the magnetorheological fluid adjusted to a low viscosity - or with the emphasis more on ride comfort.

Engine tech
dry sump lubrication ? another technology originating directly from motor racing ? provides the ideal basis for maximum longitudinal and lateral acceleration. It allows the V8 to be installed lower, thereby lowering the centre of gravity and further enhancing driving dynamics. No less than 90 per cent of this maximum torque is maintained consistently throughout a wide engine speed range from 3,500 all the way to 7,600 rpm. On the Audi R8 the legendary quattro system is adapted to the axle load distribution typical of mid-engined cars.

Electronics
Even the standard equipment of the Audi R8 meets the high demands of customers in this segment. Xenon plus lights, LED rear lights, an audio/GPS system with 7-inch monitor.

A Bang & Olufsen sound system, delivers surround sound of the highest standard. A microphone-based vehicle noise compensation system adjusts audio levels to changing road conditions and speeds.

The acoustic parking system and a rear-view camera help the driver to maneuver into even the tightest of spaces. The radio/navigation system plus, featuring a large-format colour monitor and MMI keypad, combines extensive functionality with extreme user-friendliness.

Chassis/Body
R8's chassis features forged aluminum double wishbones front and rear and is fitted with hydraulic rack-and-pinion steering. An elaborate space frame made from aluminum; and leading-edge aerodynamics. Body made a aluminum and carbon fiber. The carbon side blades catch the air and force it into the engine. The car has amazing aerodynamic R/D, most of the tech on the car is come from their Le Mans winning LMP1 car.

You got to remember this is an Audi super car. I really don't think they even compare. As far as the F430 goes its about $50,000 more, for very similiar performance.

Aero
Attached Thumbnails M6 or R8-117_2008_audi_r8__small_.jpg   M6 or R8-116_2008_audi_r8__small_.jpg   M6 or R8-115_2008_audi_r8__small_.jpg  
Old 07-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i w/SMG - JetBlack - Dinan Software - Dinan Exhaust - Anthracite Trim - Anthracite Headliner - Sport Package

when does the R8 start selling here in the states?

I went onto the cofigurator that they have and man, the phantom black with carbon fiber side sills is just wicked looking!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JetBlack' post='446469' date='Jul 11 2007, 05:52 PM
when does the R8 start selling here in the states?

I went onto the cofigurator that they have and man, the phantom black with carbon fiber side sills is just wicked looking!!!
I have read a couple articles that state it is to be released this fall, starting at $109,000 with the excellent gated shifter. Yes the carbon fiber side blades are very cool. They suck in that cool air and slam it into the engine.

Here is a pic of the black w/ carbon blades
Attached Thumbnails M6 or R8-08r8_mlf_12_204.jpg   M6 or R8-144_2008_audi_r8__small_.jpg   M6 or R8-120_2008_audi_r8__small_.jpg  
Old 07-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Cars:2011 - BMW F11 535i, Alpine White, Msport version2009 - MINI COOPER, Mellow Yellow2007 - BMW E61 LCI 530i, Space Gray, Msport version - SOLD2006 - MINI COOPER, Park Lane Version - SOLD2005 - BMW E61 525i, Titan Silver, Msport version - SOLD2003
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='446460' date='Jul 12 2007, 02:35 AM
I believe you may be misinformed. Check out this R8 video, he mentions the R8 magnetic damper system, very impressive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ro30yBUUjs...ted&search=

R8 tech

Suspension
Audi magnetic ride adaptive damper system is chosen as an alternative to the standard gas-filled shock absorbers. The reason for this is that these shock absorbers employ an innovative technology. Instead of the conventional damper fluid, a magnetorheological fluid is used - in other words, a fluid whose viscosity can be influenced by an electromagnetic field. This effect enables the damping characteristic to be influenced electronically at will and instantaneously, by applying a voltage to the electromagnets. A computer equipped with sensor technology determines the prevailing driving situation in a matter of milliseconds. Drivers can choose from two driving programs depending on whether they want to drive in a highly sporty style - with the magnetorheological fluid adjusted to a low viscosity - or with the emphasis more on ride comfort.

Engine tech
dry sump lubrication ? another technology originating directly from motor racing ? provides the ideal basis for maximum longitudinal and lateral acceleration. It allows the V8 to be installed lower, thereby lowering the centre of gravity and further enhancing driving dynamics. No less than 90 per cent of this maximum torque is maintained consistently throughout a wide engine speed range from 3,500 all the way to 7,600 rpm. On the Audi R8 the legendary quattro system is adapted to the axle load distribution typical of mid-engined cars.

Electronics
Even the standard equipment of the Audi R8 meets the high demands of customers in this segment. Xenon plus lights, LED rear lights, an audio/GPS system with 7-inch monitor.

A Bang & Olufsen sound system, delivers surround sound of the highest standard. A microphone-based vehicle noise compensation system adjusts audio levels to changing road conditions and speeds.

The acoustic parking system and a rear-view camera help the driver to maneuver into even the tightest of spaces. The radio/navigation system plus, featuring a large-format colour monitor and MMI keypad, combines extensive functionality with extreme user-friendliness.

Chassis/Body
R8's chassis features forged aluminum double wishbones front and rear and is fitted with hydraulic rack-and-pinion steering. An elaborate space frame made from aluminum; and leading-edge aerodynamics. Body made a aluminum and carbon fiber. The carbon side blades catch the air and force it into the engine. The car has amazing aerodynamic R/D, most of the tech on the car is come from their Le Mans winning LMP1 car.

You got to remember this is an Audi super car. I really don't think they even compare. As far as the F430 goes its about $50,000 more, for very similiar performance.

Aero
Sorry, I though I was on e60.net I did not notice that the computer switched onto audiforums.com. These boxes are far from being reliable stuffs. :thumbsdown:
Old 07-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Contributors

R8 for sure. The M6 is lovely, but I wouldn't even consider it. I'd be cross shopping the R8 with a 997TT or a 997 GT3.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Contributors

How much do the used Gallardos go for in Canada. In the U.S., used versions can be found in the $140-150K range.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:58 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

You live once, R8 is the car you'll remember for the rest of your life, M6 is hot, but still not THAT far from a 630/650.