6 Series Discussion A place for 6 series coupe, convertible, M6 owners and those curious.

BMW Performance Center

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 07:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

We are posting this here because we own both a 545I and a 645CI! Because of the 645CI, we were treated by BMW to a WONDERFUL, NO COST, (other than transportation to the center), weekend at the BMW Performance Center in Greenville, South Carolina. We (my wife owns the 645, I own the 545) flew into the Greenville-Spartanburg airport and were picked up in a 545 by one of the staff from the Marriott Hotel. We registered at the hotel, went to our room and relaxed until time for a very nice dinner in the hotel restaurant. The total cost, including gratuity was picked up by BMW! When we returned to our room, two very nice "6experience" Polo shirts were on the bed along with a folio telling us what to expect for the next two days! After breakfast the next morning, we, along with 10 other 645 owners and their guest, were bussed to the Performance center. The staff greeted us as we got off the bus. After the obligatory release signing, the professional drivers at the center introduced themselves, told us about driving on the track out back of the center and the trip up to the Grove Park Inn later that afternoon. They divided us into three groups, then took us outside to a lineup of ten 645's, along with one each, 2005 330, M3, 545I, 645I and a 745Li. There were two 645s over on the skid pad. Fortunately our group got to head off to the "Timed Run" first. My wife and I picked out a 645, ensured our Motorola radios for the staff to give us instruction worked, then followed the staff member who was in an X3 over to the Timed Run portion of the track. He drove the course with us once, then had us drive once for familiarization. The course consisted of an acceleration area, four slalom cones, a right hand curve, acceleration area, hard right hand turn with hard acceleration to the "push the brake pedal to the floor" breaking area. If you stopped outside the break area there was a two second penalty added to your timed run. Then the fun started and both the primary driver and the guest got to drive the Timed Course for a total of four times. The lowest time of the four was recorded as your track time. My wife got a 27.33 best run, while my time was 24.99 seconds. The best time of all 22 drivers was 24.03. We took a break from the timed run, then headed off to the skid pad. There were two 645s and we got to drive them on the skid pad with the DSC turned off. The goal was to put the cars into an oversteer skid a few times, recover from the skid then turn on the DSC and see the difference it made in handling on the skid pad. I got in the car, the staffer told me to put the left from wheel on the yellow line on the inside of the track and floor the accelerator and keep it on the floor. I checked twice to ensure I heard the "floor it" part correctly as this WAS the skid pad and it was soaking wet! I then proceeded to steer to the yellow line and put the accelerator on the floor and hold it there. In less than 10 seconds, the back end of this beautiful car was flying out to the right and we were spinning. I did not recover from the first, second or third spin! I had a total of three spins before completing one circuit of the pad. The next time around, I looked over my right shoulder as the back end broke loose and promptly steered the car off the track and into the ditch! We got back on the track, and I did fine for the next skid. However, on the following skid, I was back into the ditch! This time, I was so far in the soft mud of the ditch the car could drive forward onto the skid pad. The staff member had me put it in reverse and that baby backed right out of that ditch and back onto the skid pad. This time the staffer turned on the DSC and I was in awe as the car just about drove itself around the skid pad. My wife took her turn on the track and promptly told the staffer she was NOT going to spin out the car. He took over driving to give her a "demo!" He put the car into an oversteer and proceeded to keep it in a sideways drift around the skid pad for at least two revolutions!
We took a break, then went over to drive the M3, 330, 545, 645 and 745. Each driver and their guest drove two laps on the track in each car. The M5 was by far everyones favorite. The SMG shift paddles on the steering were fun for folks who'd never done anything like that before. We had lunch, then we loaded our luggage into a 645 and proceeded in two groups of 645s to head out for the 89 or so miles to the Grove Park Inn, in Asheville, North Carolina. The drive was very nice and quite "spirited" at times! We arrived at the GPI and were met by a staffer who steered us past the reception desk, handed us an envelope with our room key and complimentary excursion. My excursion was a massage while my wife had the manicure, pedicure! Both excursions were one of THE best we've ever experienced. Afterwards, we enjoyed the pool, tubs and whirlpool of the spa. Dinner was later in the evening, where I was given the dubious honor of being recognized by the staff as the first person to have put a 645 in the ditch off the skid pad and hitting the most cones on the timed run! Sigh!
After breakfast the next morning, we sat on the proch of the GPI and admired the eleven 645s parked in a diagonal line in front of the resort. After numerous pictures, we headed back to South Carolina, stopping off at La Bastide for lunch and a scenic drive up to view The Cliffs on the backside of Chimney Rock! The drive back was nice, but kind of sad as we knew our fun weekend was coming to an end. The good thing was that we knew we had a 645 in the garage at home that we could continue to enjoy!
OH, we also got to view some BMW video of three staff members from the Performance Center driving three M5s on a race track in Spain! The sound, oh the sound coming from the exhausts as the cars accelerate (launch) and as they went by the videographer on the track at 130-150 MPH is just heavenly! I WANT ONE!
Old 07-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Really? When did BMW offer the Performance Driving Experience for the 645s? I know it was available for the M5 Z8 and M3 but for 645 too?
Old 07-24-2005, 06:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Very nice write up MVBMW. Appreciate the details. I'll post my times (including any trips to the ditch) when we come back. Did uno that one guy rolled a 6er on the trip to Ashville All 4 wheels sticking up in the air. He was ok. Was distracted while going around a curve.

645 DE has been offered since inception of E63/64 in US. I finally got my wife to quit globe trotting so we could schedule. We are going 27 Nov. I told my wife I hope there is ICE

I doubt very much that she will try driving but then again she has surprised me at times.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

WOW! now why isnt there a 545 DE?
Old 07-25-2005, 03:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Jul 24 2005, 09:02 AM
Very nice write up MVBMW.? Appreciate the details.? I'll post my times (including any trips to the ditch) when we come back.? Did uno that one guy rolled a 6er on the trip to Ashville ? All 4 wheels sticking up in the air.? He was ok.? Was distracted while going around a curve.

645 DE has been offered since inception of E63/64 in US. I finally got my wife to quit globe trotting so we could schedule.? We are going 27 Nov.? I told my wife I hope there is ICE

I doubt very much that she will try driving but then again she has surprised me at times.
[snapback]152437[/snapback]
Old 07-25-2005, 03:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MVBMW' date='Jul 25 2005, 06:35 PM
[quote name='cobradav' date='Jul 24 2005, 09:02 AM']Very nice write up MVBMW.? Appreciate the details.? I'll post my times (including any trips to the ditch) when we come back.? Did uno that one guy rolled a 6er on the trip to Ashville ?? All 4 wheels sticking up in the air.? He was ok.? Was distracted while going around a curve.

645 DE has been offered since inception of E63/64 in US. I finally got my wife to quit globe trotting so we could schedule.? We are going 27 Nov.? I told my wife I hope there is ICE

[snapback]152437[/snapback]
[snapback]153044[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes, as we were leaving La Bastide, the staffer pointed out the spot where the 6 went off the road. If you go in Nov, I am sure you'll have ice. That portion of the highway that has the switchbacks will be interesting during that time of year. BTW, nice pic of the Cobra. I am a retired SIGNITer!
Old 07-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jul 24 2005, 05:15 PM
WOW! now why isnt there a 545 DE??
[snapback]152573[/snapback]
Wait until the M5 hits the street. Word is there will be a driving experience, but it will be oriented to more of race type experience.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MVBMW' date='Jul 25 2005, 04:42 PM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Jul 24 2005, 05:15 PM']WOW! now why isnt there a 545 DE??
[snapback]152573[/snapback]
Wait until the M5 hits the street. Word is there will be a driving experience, but it will be oriented to more of race type experience.
[snapback]153047[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ya I know... they had it for the E39 M5. and will have it for the E60. I cant believe i passed up that opportunity to go with the E39 M5. *Kicking Myself*