E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate wiring harness replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:54 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d E61 Touring

Yes, that is exactly what i used except it was sold as 3 separate kits. Looks like they have changed to connectors that join with a heat gun rather than crimping and used unique colours for each wire in the loom. In the video the guy has to do crimps and these heatshrink solder conns. Mine came with crimps only.
Your auto electrician will be kicking himself for quoting £100! If he fits the antenna cable for you, could you do ask what crimp tool should be used for those coax plugs?
Old 10-14-2014, 11:10 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520d Msport E61 Step Auto Business edition

Originally Posted by cmg535
Yes, that is exactly what i used except it was sold as 3 separate kits. Looks like they have changed to connectors that join with a heat gun rather than crimping and used unique colours for each wire in the loom. In the video the guy has to do crimps and these heatshrink solder conns. Mine came with crimps only.
Your auto electrician will be kicking himself for quoting £100! If he fits the antenna cable for you, could you do ask what crimp tool should be used for those coax plugs?
I will ask him about the antenna cable.

He said he would be soldering and heat shrinking all the joints. He gave the impression that would be an easy job I suppose if you do that kind of thing allot, it will be easy

£100 to cheap? how long did it take to do yours?
Old 10-15-2014, 02:02 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535d E61 Touring

Well.. on other threads on the same topic i saw people mention dealers quote 10x that. Whilst that sounds outrageous, it does take a long time. I'm sure i could do it quicker now, but there is lot of plastic panels to remove, then the speakers, and the nasty cable guides by the hinges. Then the wiring alone - i'm quite competent at that but you have 3 looms each with about 12 wires each, so over 70 joints to do. Even if you miss the pitfalls, its hours of work. Perhaps a different matter if only the broken wire(s) are fixed, but that is a false economy.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:19 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by cmg535
Well.. on other threads on the same topic i saw people mention dealers quote 10x that. Whilst that sounds outrageous, it does take a long time. I'm sure i could do it quicker now, but there is lot of plastic panels to remove, then the speakers, and the nasty cable guides by the hinges. Then the wiring alone - i'm quite competent at that but you have 3 looms each with about 12 wires each, so over 70 joints to do. Even if you miss the pitfalls, its hours of work. Perhaps a different matter if only the broken wire(s) are fixed, but that is a false economy.
Still waiting on the parts arriving, I believe they said it would be a week. I'll let you know the final cost when it gets fitted
Old 10-20-2014, 05:33 AM
New Members

My Ride: 5 series touring (E61)

Originally Posted by puppy
Rather that trying to repair the harness, I have just ordered a full kit for the tail gate.

Shop

I have found an auto electrician who will fit it for £100 max, which is better that I thought.

Looking forward to having a working de-mister
The rear de-mister is the one I fixed by cutting and splicing in an extension. It seems fine ATM but I'm thinking of getting this kit and replacing them all before the glass door release wires go and make the whole thing a nightmare.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:33 AM
New Members

Look what arrived in the post yesterday

Name:  20141025_142253.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  97.9 KB

Just need to get in touch with my auto electrician to fit it
Old 10-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D Tourer - Pre LCI

Are these looms the exact same cable that's fitted to the car already?
Old 10-25-2014, 11:25 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by 1Animal1
Are these looms the exact same cable that's fitted to the car already?
1A1, it's just the sections that pass through the tailgate hinges, you just cut out the old broken (or soon to be broken) old sections, and crimp/solder the new sections in

If they were the full looms (from BMW), you would have to re-mortgage your house to buy them This lot cost me £134 inc. postage.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:38 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D Tourer - Pre LCI

That's what I thought...

The reason I ask is that you could purchase silicone shrouded cable (you only need two thickness's) which would stand the test of time a lot better than the standard stuff. Cost... £15 tops
Old 10-26-2014, 02:15 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by 1Animal1
That's what I thought...

The reason I ask is that you could purchase silicone shrouded cable (you only need two thickness's) which would stand the test of time a lot better than the standard stuff. Cost... £15 tops
I get where your coming from, but I'd rather pay the extra for the kit, and get it done professionally

Quick Reply: Tailgate wiring harness replacement??