E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate wiring harness replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 01:01 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525D MSport

Originally Posted by Jax of Marlow
Burnbabyburne. I had both side looms replaced at huge expense by sytner Maidenhead and they also obtained a small discount from BMW uk because it was a known issue. If you need detail let me know.
Yes - please provide your details - thanks.

These are the very people claiming to have never heard of the problem before. It's so obviously untrue but I guess it is their first line of defense. I am also escalating within BMW UK and if need be will use my experience / contacts as a materials engineer to do a proper, and hopefully irrefutable, failure analysis.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:03 AM
New Members

Checking Twitter, there is also traffic on this subject. A suggestion for more specific recognition by BMW would be to identify your problems on Twitter including @BMWGroup @BMW_UK #BMWTailgateWiring #chasingbrokenwires.

If ignored, perhaps the next step is to try @DontGetDone for some help from Dom Littlewood.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:36 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 530 xit, panoramic, comfort access, heated seats, sport, xenon
Default Thank you for your valuable professional input!

"As a materials engineer the problem seems to me to be a design flaw: not preventing fatigue of the materials by use of adequate stress relief in the design..."
Old 03-29-2016, 04:45 AM
J_K
New Members

My Ride: 530D Touring

Yeah. Add me to the list.
I did the right hand side of mine because the remote stopped working but I have bad radio reception and no rear demist. I just can;t bring myself to attack the left hand side to fix it.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:34 AM
New Members

Well, I continue to be fobbed off by BMW. Apparently everyone's experience on this forum thread, and the many other threads on the same topic on other forum sites, can't be relied upon as an indication that there is any sort of fault or bad design. It's insulting to one's intelligence!
Old 03-29-2016, 11:15 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 523i
Model Year: 2006

Hi Guys

I had the same problem with my central locking, took it to BMW Chigwell and they changed the antenna amplifier which solved the problem shortly. After that I kept getting rear light failure so I took it to a local mechanic who fixed it for me. However now the problem of central locking has come back and I can no longer use my key fob. I am thinking about planning a trip to Germany to sort this problem once and for all, it is really frustrating and BMW need to do something about it.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:49 AM
New Members

Default Don't Get Done Get Dom

Personally I don't like being treated this way by BMW. If you're up for adding your details to a list I'm compiling, please send me a private message with your name and vehicle details. I hope that as a group and with a bit of media attention the problem will get taken seriously by BMW.

Chris

Originally Posted by Katitu
Hi Guys

I had the same problem with my central locking, took it to BMW Chigwell and they changed the antenna amplifier which solved the problem shortly. After that I kept getting rear light failure so I took it to a local mechanic who fixed it for me. However now the problem of central locking has come back and I can no longer use my key fob. I am thinking about planning a trip to Germany to sort this problem once and for all, it is really frustrating and BMW need to do something about it.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:35 AM
New Members

My Ride: 5 series touring (E61)

Finally got the wiring done on my car. I bought the SenCom kits in January for about £100 and I finally found a mechanic who would take the job on. It took him 3.5 hours with soldering the joins to replace the 3 looms and I paid £210 for that.

So all in all not too bad. Without the use of a garage, I can't imagine how long it'd take me to get it done myself.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:32 AM
New Members

My Ride: Car with options
Model Year: 2008

where did you get the SenCom kit?
Old 04-24-2016, 11:55 PM
New Members

My Ride: 5 series touring (E61)

Originally Posted by rathersmart
where did you get the SenCom kit?
I got it from here Shop

Be careful though as this one doesn't come with the antenna wire. Although they do sell a kit that has that as well.

Curiously, the mechanic said that the right outer loom had six broken wires, but the only other thing that didn't work was the rear wiper. Well it worked, but switched off and stopped when and wherever it felt like. Which, sounded like an earthing problem. So can't imagine what the other 5 wires did????

Quick Reply: Tailgate wiring harness replacement??