E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 07:38 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by RIHI
I am so envious your E61 will be manual.
Maybe my build will inspire others to make the conversion. #SaveTheManuals
Originally Posted by 5erTouring
Evan, you are right. The fun stuff begins now. Can't wait to see the finished product. good luck
Thank you, I still have a lot of due diligence to do but I am certainly getting excited to dive in. I can't wait to be done examining RealOem and making sure I have an 87mm bolt instead of 105mm. My goal is; once I start the build to not need to stop due to a part I overlooked. I may just do the swap in my garage to make it more convenient.

-----------------------------------------

I had a misfire show up in cylinder 5, ironically it first happened when I was running a 991 GT3 on the way to Cars & Coffee in Aliso Viejo (we were neck and neck). Coils are brand new Delphis, plugs are low mileage NGK 5992s, Cyl 5 on the left Cyl 6 on the right. Interestingly I swapped the plugs and coils and the misfire is still on cyl 5, I have not checked the injector yet but it is a -12 with maybe 1,000 miles on it so it SHOULD be fine. :shrug

Some more goodies for the 6MT swap arrived, a big thank you to the companies who are contributing to this build.

MFactory SMFW

Spec Stage 3+ Clutch

BMS SSK and DSSR
Old 02-12-2016, 06:40 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr

I had a misfire show up in cylinder 5, ironically it first happened when I was running a 991 GT3 on the way to Cars & Coffee in Aliso Viejo (we were neck and neck). Coils are brand new Delphis, plugs are low mileage NGK 5992s, Cyl 5 on the left Cyl 6 on the right. Interestingly I swapped the plugs and coils and the misfire is still on cyl 5, I have not checked the injector yet but it is a -12 with maybe 1,000 miles on it so it SHOULD be fine. :shrug
Evan, the same thing happened to me shortly into my ownership experience, and I needed two new injectors. Mine weren't the latest but they weren't that old either, and the plugs from the bad injectors looked just like your photo above. The CPO took care of everything, so I unfortunately don't have much more detail.

Good luck with this latest round of mods - I can't wait to see the manual evolution!

Robert
Old 02-18-2016, 08:46 PM
Members
Senior Members

Count 'Em!

Before

After, I bugs me that it is round peg in a square hole but I will leave it for a bit and see if I get over it or if the aluminum cap gets the axe.

I also retrofitted my headlights ...again.

1st Retro here: https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...ustom-orion-v2
2nd Retro here: https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...on-eyes-are-in

I really enjoyed the product of my last retrofit, the angel eye delete and white demon eyes was a clean and subtle look I really dug. As much as I appreciate the "look at me" element of angel eyes/DRLS I think the circular design of the rings, whether on or off, is distracting and takes away from the otherwise clean clean/sharp/swoop design of the headlight.

If you recall, my current headlights are the units I refurbished in my second retrofit so they are far from perfect but being my personal headlights I think of them as a test bed for experimenting and trying new things, so in the end it works out. I will be doing some retrofits on BMW 5 series in the near future so this build was to familiarize myself with the headlights once again and test out some new things. One thing I am testing is the durability of the bowls on the 7.0s, they are powered by a 3five 50w ballast.

From my 2nd retrofit, this 3rd revision includes white ---> black demon eyes and MD2S 3.0 ---> MH1 7.0 "main projector." I kept the same MH1 6.0 as my 2nd projector in the quad setup.

I had thoughts to run a Morimoto 70mm xb fogs in place of the MH1 6.0s in the inner shrouds but decided against it as it was easier to keep the 6.0s there. The xb fogs can be located there without too much effort so confirming that while the headlight was apart was a goal in of itself.

The retrofit went smoothly and all I have to do it reseal the units,

Evan

MH1 7.0 Before

MH1 7.0m After

Black Demon Eye

XB 70mm fog

It would have worked and been pretty clean but I decided against it

Who mods their LED bulbs? ME!

I already had a D2S sealant/plug installed on the housing, the plug for the H1 bulb was too small in diameter to fit the whole, what to do?

Put the plug in the plug!

It came out super clean on the inside as well (and double sealed)

This is me having a hard time reflashing my Light Control Module

The MH1 6.0 fits like a glove in the inner shroud, the projector actually resides inside that chrome bowl you see and is the perfect length to match up with the shroud(s) that are in the front around the lens

If you look at the inner projector... there is a shroud, a ring, and an inner ring; the shroud and ring and held in place with bolts but the inner ring sits on the projector lens holder like a normal shroud would, it fits so snugly that I won't even bother with JB Kwik to secure it

Black on Black

Doing some final testing before I seal them up, don't mind the crooked intercooler, the wagon still makes 550whp

ALL OUTPUT SHOTS ARE OF THE MH1 7.0 ONLY!

The MH1 7.0s are a nice upgrade over the MD2 3.0 I had in there before. I was very appreciative of the fact that the 7.0s didn't take much tuning to get dialed, only some bulb alignment was needed to get great results (I still wish this wasn't needed but I understand how sensitive optics are). That being said I am very optimistic for the new MD2S 4.0!

I love the intensity along the cutoff but I am a huge fan of 3G TL and FXR 1.0 outputs where the width is thick and meaty. Projectors like the MH1 7.0 may be technically have a wider output but I don't find it quiet as useful as the other projectors mentioned. That being said the 7.0 is impressive considering it's size (again excited for D2S 4.0)

I thought about adding some foreground limiters since my wagon is pretty low ....and I should have, it would be nice to remove the initial 3-5 feet of intense light on the ground near the front of my car. If I need more foreground I can switch on the MH1 6.0s, their foreground is an additional 1-1.5ft closer.

Output 1

Reverse Light: Love It!

Some color flicker

LOW

HIGH
Old 02-19-2016, 07:32 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive

Really nice light output! Everything else is nice too! Wish I had the time and funds to do the same to my E61.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:09 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: E39 M5
Model Year: 2003

Could you please provide BMW part numbers for the M5 control arms? Finished the front refresh, now it's on to the rear......
Old 02-20-2016, 08:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by timmay77
could you please provide bmw part numbers for the m5 control arms? Finished the front refresh, now it's on to the rear......
Old 02-25-2016, 08:07 AM
Members
Senior Members

I installed some M5 rear integral links, now all oem rear suspension components are now M5 spec (if not upgraded). The process was fairly straightforward, the EHC needed to be disabled/deflated and it was a little awkward reinstalling the super long bolt that runs through the swingarm, integral link, and knuckle.

TOP: 535xi
BOTTOM: M5

Installed

Oem oil cap

Aluminum cap, a little bit of a round peg in a square hole but it doesn't bother me enough to change it, so it stays.

New aluminum pedals arrived, count them!
Old 02-29-2016, 10:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: 10 535i M Sport

I love what you've done to your car and it's a beautiful representation of what you can do with a wagon. At times I wish I would have gotten one with hauling the kids and dogs around. I guess I'll leave that job for the Navigator.

Do you think your exhaust guy would be willing to build another y-pipe like he did for you and shipping it? I've asked a few shops around here and they're more interested in buying one and installing it, rather than putting time into custom building something like you have. I've looked online and can't find anything as good as what he did. I don't need the tips installed.

There may be more that would like to buy it as well!
Old 02-29-2016, 10:49 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by slenser
I love what you've done to your car and it's a beautiful representation of what you can do with a wagon. At times I wish I would have gotten one with hauling the kids and dogs around. I guess I'll leave that job for the Navigator.

Do you think your exhaust guy would be willing to build another y-pipe like he did for you and shipping it? I've asked a few shops around here and they're more interested in buying one and installing it, rather than putting time into custom building something like you have. I've looked online and can't find anything as good as what he did. I don't need the tips installed.

There may be more that would like to buy it as well!
Thanks for the kind words, I agree the craftsmanship of Josh @JFR is top notch. I don't see Y-pipe fabrication being a financially viable option for you once it is all said and done. The unit would likely be around $500 for parts and labor, labor being the main component. I have asked Josh about possible group buys and such but he explains that with the welding it is mostly labor so there isn't a discount to be had, which makes sense.

So I can still check if you insist but from what I have discussed with Josh it likely will not make sense for both parties. That being said, when I was brainstorming with Josh on the build I had found this place: Columbia River Mandrel Bending which offer some nice made-to-order pieces, the 2-1 parellel merge collector might work well for your situation. I was going to order one but Josh explained that he was in a unique situation where he was waiting on parts for another project and had some unexpected free time so he suggested he just built a y-pipe instead of ordering and waiting for one to arrive.

I purchased both a Vibrant merge collector and a Magnaflow y-pipe, both were no ideal for a 1-2 y-pipe but the ones the Mandrel Bends sell look like a great option.

Those are my thoughts,
Evan
Old 02-29-2016, 11:57 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535xit

impressive build!
good job!

Quick Reply: Evan's E61 Build: Pics, Updates, and Wagon Love for All