E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

e60 550i Mods Step One

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012 | 06:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

New to this forum and loving it. Thank you everyone for all of the great ideas and perspectives on Mods. It has been a great reference point for considering what to add to my e60. I custom ordered this car new from the factory. It still has very low miles and I thought it was time to do some nice performance and appearance upgrades. I'd love some opinions on the progress so far.

2008 e60 5501 Sport 6-speed manual
Carbon Black Metallic exterior
Black leather interior
Anthracite (black) headliner

First stage of mods:

Full Dinan Stage 3 upgrades (effectively the S2 kit minus the camber plates. Since I will rarely be tracking the car except for special local events, the camber plates are probably a detriment to daily driving).
Dinan CAI
Dinan Hi-Flow Throttle Body
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Stage 3 Software
Dinan Lightweight Flywheel & Clutch
Dinan Supsension w/ approx. 3/4' drop
Dinan front & rear carbon fiber Strut Braces
*Car is now running mid to high 4's 0-60. Should be solid mid 4's with 3.38 differential upgrade next week.

Matte black grill
ACS rep roof spoiler
m5 trunk lid spoiler
Medium smoked tails & side markers
Body color reflectors
30% glass tint
Ferrari red calipers w/BMW stencil

Avant Garde M355 staggered wheels wrapped with Michelin Pilot Super Sports
19x9 with 245/35 ZR 19 front
19x10 with 275/30 ZR 19 rear

Beltronics STiR Plus remote installed laser/radar detector
Laser Interceptor Quad front & rear shifters

Next Week will be doing Stage 2 of Mods:

UUC Ultimate Short Shifter
3.38 rear diff.
Hamann aero kit - front lip, side skirts, trunk lip spoiler

Suggested mods welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails e60 550i Mods Step One-right.jpg   e60 550i Mods Step One-right_front.jpg   e60 550i Mods Step One-left.jpg   e60 550i Mods Step One-right_2.jpg  
Old 06-02-2012 | 07:15 AM
Members

Very nice, where are you getting your mods done at?
Old 06-02-2012 | 07:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IceCreaMan
Very nice, where are you getting your mods done at?
Thank you. We have a great Dinan shop here called Performing Imports and an awesome high end body shop called Magnum Collision for the paint work on the exterior mods.
Old 06-02-2012 | 09:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdList
*Car is now running mid to high 4's 0-60. Should be solid mid 4's with 3.38 differential upgrade next week.
That is quick! How did you come to these numbers?
Old 06-02-2012 | 09:56 AM
Members

Now that is one beautiful machine. Keep us updated when you add the second stage of mods
Old 06-02-2012 | 10:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by west
That is quick! How did you come to these numbers?
haha...I was waiting for that question :-) VERY "unofficial" timing methods. I am far more inclined and comfortable quoting HIGH 4's (around 4.8-4.9). Stop watch timing. Pre-Dinan I ran in the 5.4 range. Noticeable difference was made with the lightened flywheel and clutch. Engine spins up very quickly. The software gives it a nice extended powerband above the 4K RPM range. Now for the most "unofficial" good feeling about the speed I put it up against a new s5 with numbers running at 4.9 and the two cars ran neck and neck. Still not quite where I want it to be so I did some research and found the 3.83 diff from an auto will bolt on very nicely and should give me a slight reduction in time. Hopefully the short shifter will quicken shifts a tiny bit as well. When all is complete I will have it very accurately clocked and post results. May dyno the car to see the actual RWHP and torque figures.

btw...that is a BEAUTIFUL car in your sig. Have seen and admired it many times on this forum.
Old 06-02-2012 | 10:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bugsy525
Now that is one beautiful machine. Keep us updated when you add the second stage of mods
Thank you very much :-)

Will do!
Old 06-02-2012 | 11:37 AM
Senior Members

haha...I was waiting for that question :-) VERY "unofficial" timing methods. I am far more inclined and comfortable quoting HIGH 4's (around 4.8-4.9). Stop watch timing. Pre-Dinan I ran in the 5.4 range. Noticeable difference was made with the lightened flywheel and clutch. Engine spins up very quickly. The software gives it a nice extended powerband above the 4K RPM range. Now for the most "unofficial" good feeling about the speed I put it up against a new s5 with numbers running at 4.9 and the two cars ran neck and neck. Still not quite where I want it to be so I did some research and found the 3.83 diff from an auto will bolt on very nicely and should give me a slight reduction in time. Hopefully the short shifter will quicken shifts a tiny bit as well. When all is complete I will have it very accurately clocked and post results. May dyno the car to see the actual RWHP and torque figures.

btw...that is a BEAUTIFUL car in your sig. Have seen and admired it many times on this forum.
Around 5.4 on a stock configuration is great.

The combination of clutch, flywheel and a manual tranny should have a huge advantage over the auto. Glad to hear you went this route.

Yeah, the 3.83 should fit just fine and work well with the short shifter. Please keep us posted on your findings.

Do you get much wheel spin with the added power?

Thank you for the compliment. Not very practical, but it's been a fun journey.

Look forward to seeing more of your car. Love seeing performance-modded 'i' class BMW's.
Old 06-02-2012 | 11:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by west
Around 5.4 on a stock configuration is great.

The combination of clutch, flywheel and a manual tranny should have a huge advantage over the auto. Glad to hear you went this route.

Yeah, the 3.83 should fit just fine and work well with the short shifter. Please keep us posted on your findings.

Do you get much wheel spin with the added power?

Thank you for the compliment. Not very practical, but it's been a fun journey.

Look forward to seeing more of your car. Love seeing performance-modded 'i' class BMW's.
You are very welcome. That's a very nice 5 you have. Compliments deserved :-). Nice to see "classy" modded 5's like yours on here. Lots of sort of "cheesy" stuff out there on other boards. I definitely hear you on the "not very practical" comment. Seems once you start modding it becomes pretty addictive. I started out with the intent of doing Stage 1 software and the intake + exhaust. As I waited around I thought "I might as well go Stage 3 on the software", then the guy made me wait 3 days to bring it into the shop and in those three days I thought "hhmmm....that flywheel and clutch would be nice"....then I got the new wheels ordered and decided the suspension would be great for a nice grip and a slight drop.....and of course..."why have the speed without the laser jammers"-hahaha Two days after picking up the car I asked myself why I didn't do the diff. I somehow "reasoned" myself into thinking that since I had to go back to the shop next week to install the short shifter that it would certainly be the best time to do the diff as well....yeesshhh!!!!!

Then of course there are the exterior mods :-)

You know, I don't get a ton of slip either. I was concerned about that (and still a little bit concerned about the 3.38 since it's an open diff) but that new clutch is awesome. You can really feather it just right. No issues whatsoever. We'll probably toe in the rears a TINY bit when we do the diff just to get a little more grip. Running 275 Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the rears and they are really nice and grippy. Have loved Michelins on my 5ers for years.
Old 06-02-2012 | 03:08 PM
Senior Members

You are very welcome. That's a very nice 5 you have. Compliments deserved :-). Nice to see "classy" modded 5's like yours on here. Lots of sort of "cheesy" stuff out there on other boards. I definitely hear you on the "not very practical" comment. Seems once you start modding it becomes pretty addictive. I started out with the intent of doing Stage 1 software and the intake + exhaust. As I waited around I thought "I might as well go Stage 3 on the software", then the guy made me wait 3 days to bring it into the shop and in those three days I thought "hhmmm....that flywheel and clutch would be nice"....then I got the new wheels ordered and decided the suspension would be great for a nice grip and a slight drop.....and of course..."why have the speed without the laser jammers"-hahaha Two days after picking up the car I asked myself why I didn't do the diff. I somehow "reasoned" myself into thinking that since I had to go back to the shop next week to install the short shifter that it would certainly be the best time to do the diff as well....yeesshhh!!!!!

Then of course there are the exterior mods :-)

You know, I don't get a ton of slip either. I was concerned about that (and still a little bit concerned about the 3.38 since it's an open diff) but that new clutch is awesome. You can really feather it just right. No issues whatsoever. We'll probably toe in the rears a TINY bit when we do the diff just to get a little more grip. Running 275 Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the rears and they are really nice and grippy. Have loved Michelins on my 5ers for years.
Hahah. Gotta love the mod-snowball effect.

How do you like the laser-jammers? Is there a way to measure their performance in day-to-day driving? I went with the Passport 9500 shifters and got pulled over by a LEO with a Lidar Pro III gun. The laser jammer usually goes off when I get shot with laser but wasn't sure if Passport didn't cover Lidar or if he cited me without getting my speed. Does your system protect against Lidar?

Quick Reply: e60 550i Mods Step One