E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

2006 530 with WAVETRAC LSD REVIEW (VIDEO INSIDE)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 06:33 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 E60 530i
Default 2006 530 with WAVETRAC LSD REVIEW (VIDEO INSIDE)

I bought the wavetrac lsd from awdmotorsport 2 months ago and installed it back then ... i wanted to get a handle of the lsd and get used to it before posting any video on youtube....

I did a figure 8 drift on hard tarmac the other day and its always fun to see the faces on people when they see this tank drifting so easily and especially thats its not a 535i or a 550i or an m5..
its a simple 2006 530i...
Drifting on Hard Tarmac is a bit of a challenge but it can be done...
Soft Tarmac (80% of my countries streets ) is like drifting on butter
Rainy Roads Fun to drift on

Nice thing about wavetrac is that it doesnt fully lock like a welded diff so u can drive the car happily as a daily

anyways take care and enjoy
Old 09-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

Did you change the gearing as well? Would you mind stating the price that you paid? I have heard that installing an lsd with gearing gives you the best performance aside from going FI or nitrous. I am trying to figure out the differences between the various options. I have a 2007 530i with SMG transmission. The automatic is suppose to have taller gearing. I was thinking something along the line of 3.9 or 3.78 should be great. Thanks for the video and sorry for jacking your thread.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:06 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 E60 530i

hey man no its ok np...
when i got it from awd motorsports they had it for like 1250$ if i remember correctly.. its the inside part of the diff..
to make things clearer you have the outer housing that u need to open and inside u have to remove the old open diff and replace it with the new one... the diff oil i used was stock oem diff for m5 and m6 sold by the bmw dealership its castroil 75w-90 u just need 1L...
be careful when u get the old open diff out u have the bearings on each side which u either have to purchase the same ones to install on each side of the lsd or VERY CAREFULLY HAVE A TRAINED MECHANIC WITH SUPER HITECH MACHINES REMOVE THEM OFF EACH SIDE .. because these bearing have been pressed at around 2 tons of pressure by the bmw factory...
once u get the bearing back on.. its just easy reverse process ...
the main issue u have is the bearings... thats it... after that its literally extremely easy just assemble the diff back in the housing .. add 1L oil rotate the diff a bit so the oil oozes in all corners and enjoy ur car...
this is the only MOD u do that u actually feel a difference... its not like when u get an intake and someone says yeah i feel the car goes faster now... No!
you really feel like u bought a new car... corners drift like a charm donuts can be done with ease....
and on water... super fun...
the video i did was on tough tarmac... not many cars with that weight and fair power can do that....
concerning the gearing it already comes pregeared around the numbers you gave... if you want more info contact the guys at awd motorsport... theyre really friendly...
again an LSD is one of the most basic yet most fun mods on a rwd a person can do...
btw when you call awd and ask about it.. tell them if they can send u the bearings in the package or else youre gona take much more time to install...
Old 09-25-2014, 09:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by eliasmalak
be careful when u get the old open diff out u have the bearings on each side which u either have to purchase the same ones to install on each side of the lsd or VERY CAREFULLY HAVE A TRAINED MECHANIC WITH SUPER HITECH MACHINES REMOVE THEM OFF EACH SIDE .. because these bearing have been pressed at around 2 tons of pressure by the bmw factory...
once u get the bearing back on.. its just easy reverse process ...
the main issue u have is the bearings... thats it... after that its literally extremely easy just assemble the diff back in the housing .. add 1L oil rotate the diff a bit so the oil oozes in all corners and enjoy ur car...

btw when you call awd and ask about it.. tell them if they can send u the bearings in the package or else youre gona take much more time to install...
Did you do it yourself or you have someone doing it for you?

Just wondering, if you change those bearings, don't you need to adjust again the crown wheel tangential clearence (drive pinion backlash)?