E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 03:28 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530D Touring MSport Navi professional, HUD, bicolour leather sport seats, BT integrated, automatic transmission, panorama roof.
Model Year: 2006

I have just bought myself a 2006 530D and it is really a superb car. I bought it in June, and drove it from Norway to France in July on vacation.

I had some guarantee issues I wanted sorted , so I took it to a BMW dealer now in September to have those checked out. When I got my car back I thought it was something different about it, but I couldnt tell what. a couple of days testing, I found out that I have a very faint vibration, when I drive really careful and accelerate slowly at 30km/h. This repeats it self at approx 50 km/h.

I am very pissed off right now. I had an E46 320d before with a vibration at exactly 120 km/h. This was from the propshaft and it haunted me almost all the time I had the car, and I couldnt afford to fix it until half a year before I sold it.

Now I am there again, with a vibration from the rear, but different now is that I dont know where it comes from.

I cannot go back to the dealer, because the vibration is so small, and it only appears when accelerating gently. This happened when it was in their care, but I was stupid enough to not write down the mileage before I left it. I just dont know how far they have driven the car. Actually the faults I wanted them to check didnt necessitate any driving, but the car has been used alright.

My car has been raped, is the feeling I am left with. FU*K

Does someone have a clue on where to start looking for this? I am going to change to new wintertyres in a month now, so I will see then, if it is something to do with tyres and rims. But since this happens under slow acceleration I am sure that it must be something else.

I have an automatic transmission.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

A number of shafts, mounts, bushings and so on could be causing these symptoms - it is near impossible to tell without seeing the car. Since you'll have it up anyway, have the bearings checked.

And I would definitely take it to the dealer and demand they fix it - especially, if you're still under warranty and that you only started getting these vibrations after your last visit there.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:14 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530D Touring MSport Navi professional, HUD, bicolour leather sport seats, BT integrated, automatic transmission, panorama roof.
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1002603' date='Sep 9 2009, 01:43 PM
A number of shafts, mounts, bushings and so on could be causing these symptoms - it is near impossible to tell without seeing the car. Since you'll have it up anyway, have the bearings checked.

And I would definitely take it to the dealer and demand they fix it - especially, if you're still under warranty and that you only started getting these vibrations after your last visit there.
Hmm, I guess you are right, I will go back to the dealer, but I wanted to know if there were someone out there that had experienced the same.

If it was one of the garageboys that did this, what can have happened? If he hit a pothole the wintertyre will fix this, to some extent anyway. But it would then have had damage to the frontwheels as well. There are no vibration in the steering wheel. If he has panic braked so that the tyres are not round anymore tha vibration woukd have been felt in the steering wheel and the vibration would have been stronger at low speeds and then weaker at higher speeds.

If it is a bushing, this could have happened at a point in time anyway, but could have been caused by some really heavy accelerations, like hitting the pedal in neutral and then shifting to drive to get a quick start or doing burnouts er something equal.

I am lost.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I would not even worry until I've gone back to the place after which the vibration started. Go there and tell them it was not there before and that they've done something - see what they say. If it is absolutely inevitable that you fix this at your own cost, I'd suggest using a different place, obviously. But since you're saying the vibration appeared after the visit, you should go there and make sure they right the wrong they created.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Black E61 530Xd - M-sport - Comfort - Advantage

Believe me I know how you feel
I just recently had big problems with my car and last week almost all of them got solved. Some very very small vibration left (can be felt only when doing "enginebraking") but I?ll get that fixed by changing the drive shaft.

It?s only guessing what the reason can be. The ones who broke it should take responsibility and fix your car.
I?d have them to check the tires and the wheels first. Wheel can be damaged after powersliding and hitting something etc.
If you can?t get it fixed, then things to check would be the hub&bearing -combo, drive shaft, upper pivot joint, bushing, control arms

Hopefully you get it fixed
Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Members

The question is, have you recently installed/ or does the car have originally have - aftermarket wheels, suspension, exhaust /mufflers?
If you answer yes to any of the above, then its probably one of those to blame. A bad muffler will cause a disruption of exhaust air that bounces around before exiting when you are traveling at slow speeds, causing a vibration. Also, get the tyre pressure checked and/or wheels balanced (very cheap) to see if that fixes the problem.